Glow plug burnout - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Glow plug burnout

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
smitheeee

Glow plug burnout

I recently had problems starting my 2006 wk crd in the mornings , i assumed one or more of the glow plugs had failed. On removal of the first two i found they were both no longer working so decided to change all six at the same time, after which it started like a dream every time. Unfortunately about a week ago i started having problems again and upon checking the plugs they had all failed. On testing it appears that once i turn the ignition on the plugs work at normal voltage but once the car starts the voltage going to them doesnt drop and they continue to run at full voltage and hence are burning out as they are on full power the whole time. I have never had such a problem before and was hoping somebody may be able to shed some light on the problem. I'm hoping its not the engine management system as that means a trip to a main dealer and at Ģ97 an hour it's going to be expensive. An expense which i could do without as i have all ready got to purchase a new fuel pump this week at Ģ300 + vat along with 5 new tyre sensors which have all seized up.

smitheeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
Very interesting issues. glow plugs if 2 have failed it can overload the others so to replace all 6 was the best thing to do. First place to start is the earth/ground wire on the fuel filter as this is the ground for the glow plug module, if you have had a fuel filter changed this could be where the fault started.
The glow plug module that controls the plugs is on the front of the engine just for your info. I have also had alternators affecting starting as they get oil in them and corrupt the lin bus.
What is the issue with the fuel pump? I have only ever fitted one.
With the tire sensors why don't you just fit normal valve and turn off the tyre monitoring.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 04-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
smitheeee

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have had it checked by EDM who couldnt find anything physicaly wrong but said it could be something with the ecu, so i had it checked and there was no errors in the ecu. They suggested the only thing it could be is the relay. On the fuel pump issue, it started to squel after a long run (2 hours), i only heard it when i got stuck in traffic, but now it can be heard after just a few minutes running and it really seems to be straining. When i called Jeep to get a quote for the pump they said they have had quite a few go lately. Seems strange and my jeep has under 30k on the clock. When i frist purchased the jeep i had a fuel tank leak and on investigating it appeared that the tank had been off and the seal hadnt been put back in right and had fell into the tank itself. When i contacted the dealer they admitted that the car had been on display ramps for 10 months and when they started it to move it they had ran out of fuel but dont know why they would have taken the tank off and that was over 15 months ago and so dont know if my current problem was the cause of something they did back then.
As for the tyre sensors they can be a pain but i have found them to be a great aid whilst towing incase of slow punctures etc, although the idea of having an all metal sensor exposed to the elements seems a really bad design.
Unread 04-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
merlinTec

Hi
When was the fuel filter last changed? If the fuel filter is getting blocked the pump will make a noise.
Unread 04-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
smitheeee

It actually started to make the noise as i dropped it off for its service and hasnt got any better.
Unread 10-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Silvano

Hello i have the same problem, just have change my glow unit (and i had two errors U0106 and P0670) after changing the unit only U0106 left, and it's appears just some month ago and i had a fuel filter change the same period.
Can you explane where is the wire wich make ground to the unit
thank you in advice
Silvano is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.