GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune) - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune)

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)

Unread 07-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #121
52233majic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknbull View Post
Hey 52233Majic

Do you know if your tune can eliminate swirl motor issues ?
yes they can.The tune i got causes your egr to close most of the time which eliminates your swirl motor issues. Swirl motor issues do not happen in europe because the diesel fuel is better, keeping your egr valve closed will help your swirl valve. check with http://www.jrautoelectronics.ca/

green tune is not the only game in town!

52233majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #122
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52233majic View Post
yes they can.The tune i got causes your egr to close most of the time which eliminates your swirl motor issues. Swirl motor issues do not happen in europe because the diesel fuel is better, keeping your egr valve closed will help your swirl valve. check with http://www.jrautoelectronics.ca/

what did u pay? did u get a handheld tuner with it?
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #123
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52233majic View Post

How does fuel quality have an issue with the swirl motor? Carbon deposits can have an issue with the swirl valves, but it usually fails from the leaky seal at the turbo.
I do not disagree with with egr issues. I have mine blocked and disabled for quite sometime. EGR is one of worst things for a diesel engine.
How is the JR tune? Any performance data? There website doesn't provide much info.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #124
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

^ u have a custom intake???? pics??
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #125
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
Changing oil is indeed painful. You must continue to use the correct oil with the spec of 229.51 on the label. I have been buying mine at Napa. I purchased my first 15 gallons online because at the time nobody had the correct spec except the dealer. Now that napa has it, I just go there.
I get Liqui Moly 5w-30 off eBay in 20 liter from a seller in OH. It is what they normally use in Europe on diesels and it is full synthetic. That gives me 2 oil changes and comes out to $132 with shipping. I also found MANN oil filters from thepartsbin for $15 each (half what you pay at the dealer) - part #: W0133-1789376 for '07-'09 Dodge Sprinter 3500.
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #126
jeepstream
2008 WK 

I just spoke to Keith and placed my order for the Green Diesel program. It seems the pricing structure has changed recently. Now there is only one option for $695 that includes the purchase of the programming tool. I was going to buy the programmer, anyway, so this represents a $50 decrease in the price. The total came to $700.35 with Priority Mail shipping to Maryland.

I'm looking forward to some extra power and MPGs on our summer Airstream adventure to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The main reason for the GDE purchase is the swirl motor bypass. I don't want the GC going into "limp mode" on the interstate in the mountains of North Carolina with my family in the Jeep while pulling a 5000 lbs. trailer.
jeepstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #127
Harry7
2006 WK 

Hi, I have been following this thread with some interest as I have had swirl motor issues recently with my 2006 Grand Cherokee .
The ETC warning light came on a few weeks ago and it went into limp-home mode, and the dealer told me it was code P1270 and had to replace the swirl motor (costing about 600including labour). Two weeks later I've got the same problem again but it happens one day, and works fine the next! The dealer is saying it is a different code this time - P0046, and I need to replace the whole Turbo at a cost of 3600 for a new one, or 1000 to recondition the old one! Would the GDE tune stop these swirl motor issues? And is it available to send to England?
Harry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #128
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry7 View Post
Hi, I have been following this thread with some interest as I have had swirl motor issues recently with my 2006 Grand Cherokee .
The ETC warning light came on a few weeks ago and it went into limp-home mode, and the dealer told me it was code P1270 and had to replace the swirl motor (costing about 600including labour). Two weeks later I've got the same problem again but it happens one day, and works fine the next! The dealer is saying it is a different code this time - P0046, and I need to replace the whole Turbo at a cost of 3600 for a new one, or 1000 to recondition the old one! Would the GDE tune stop these swirl motor issues? And is it available to send to England?
Yes the tune takes the swirl motor out of the picture...plus you get more hp and torque and better fuel economy.

Contact Keith at GDE about getting the tune to England.

All inquiries relating to our products should be directed to our support department at: support@greendieselengineering.com

Inquiries can also be sent to:

Green Diesel Engineering
P.O Box 930639
Wixom, MI 48393

Office phone: (248) 977-9531
Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm eastern standard time.

http://www.greendieselengineering.co...do?method=home
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #129
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry7 View Post
We ship tunes to England no problem and the tune will eliminate the swirl issue and code. I am more concerned with the P0046 code. I have seen this code on several vehicles now and it is an internal problem with the turbo REA (black box on turbo that controls vane position). It stems from overheating the device over prolonged time. If you can take pictures of the part numbers on the REA unit, I will investigate sourcing it. No sense changing the entire turbo assembly for a relatively cheap part. The underhood temps of the WK CRD must be very high and the packaging should have been engineered better to reduce the heat the REA is exposed to.
GDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #130
Harry7
2006 WK 

Thanks scootr and GDE.
I'm still driving the Jeep to work every day(carefully) so it will have to wait until the weekend but then I will see if I can get to the REA to get some part numbers.
Is replacing the REA something that i could do myself or does it involve removing the whole turbo?
I'm not experienced enough for a job like that just yet.
Unread 08-02-2012, 03:29 AM   #131
Harry7
2006 WK 

GDE, I just saw one of your other posts (number18 on "3.0 CRD electronic throttle control error", and there you say:
"P0046 is most likely causing the low boost code P0299. P0046 signals something internally wrong with the 'rotatry electric actuator' that controls the vane position on the turbocharger. The is the black box mounted on the turbo. It may be the internal circuit has overheated and is not moving correctly or keeping the vanes in the proper position based on speed/load.
Clearing the codes to see what comes back is generally good practice, most of the other codes seem like random errors and would not cause the low power issue. After clearing, does the Jeep perform well again? See if it works well with a cold engine and then with hot engine. If problem re-occurs then the turbo will need maintenance. Unfortunately, if that is the case the turbo is sold as an assembly (cannot replace just the REA)."

But in this post you said that:
"If you can take pictures of the part numbers on the REA unit, I will investigate sourcing it. No sense changing the entire turbo assembly for a relatively cheap part"

I'm confused now whether the REA can be replaced separately from the turbo or not?
Thanks in advance for any clarification you can offer.
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #132
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

Through Chrysler the turbo is sold as an assembly, so the REA cannot be purchased separately as the moment. If I knew the REA part number, then I could contact Bosch directly to see if the REA can be ordered from them directly instead of through Chrysler. This is an investigation to see if we can save people money.
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #133
Harry7
2006 WK 

ok, I understand. However I spoke to a local turbo mechanic and they won't replace the REA because of the calibrating needed to get them to work properly. Apparently the REA is calibrated to the turbo at the factory and so it's easier for them to replace the whole turbo as a unit rather than spend time trying to recalibrate the REA.
At least their prices for replacing the turbo are cheaper than the dealers.

My current turbo is a Garrett 757608-0001, but to get a new one means replacing it with the newer model 765155-5007S,
does your tune work with this newer turbo too?
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #134
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

The new turbo part number is a drop in replacement for the original and the tune will function well with either.

They do not calibrate the REA specifically, but the control arm length from REA to vane mechanism.
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #135
jediknight
2008 WK 

Let say we bypass that REA with a resistor mod and keeping the vane always open ... Anybody have thoughts on the impact of this mod ??

Not all diesel engines have a variable geometry turbine...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.