GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune) - Page 76 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune)

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #1126
Xmind
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoke View Post
Man, that is great fuel economy. ......
Notice chrali is from the UK, so 29 Imperial MPG is ~24 US MPG.

Unread 05-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #1127
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Thanks Xmind. Hadn't read the fine print. Yah, before metrification in Canada we used the imperial gal. as well. Although we have been metric for 50years in Canada, buy our gas by the litre and drive in kilometres most people still convert it all back to miles per imperial gal. I think it is because it gives us superiour fuel economy to you americans. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.
Unread 05-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #1128
Ahaze
2008 WK 

Does anyone tow 6000+ lbs with the Eco tune? My previous diesel experience is that tunes tend to reduce your towing capacity due to the extra fuel causing higher EGTs. Does the DPF delete offset that?
Also wondering if the GDE tuner has the ability to calibrate for larger tires? I found a post in another thread that stated the function was in the menu but it didn't work.
Ahaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #1129
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

You can't change tire size with the tuner. Several are towing with the eco tune with great results. Maybe they will chime in.
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #1130
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahaze View Post
Does anyone tow 6000+ lbs with the Eco tune? My previous diesel experience is that tunes tend to reduce your towing capacity due to the extra fuel causing higher EGTs. Does the DPF delete offset that?
Also wondering if the GDE tuner has the ability to calibrate for larger tires? I found a post in another thread that stated the function was in the menu but it didn't work.
I would disagree with that statement. Towing tunes add performance, but not enough to cause problems. I have always had good experience when running towing tunes on my trucks. I would not recommend running high performance tunes as that can cause high EGT's during times of high load. I have pulled my car trailer with high HP tunes, but you have to be careful not to run too hard and allow high boost and high EGT's at lower RPM's.
I have towed with my Jeep before and after tuning. I have experienced better towing performance after the tuning was installed. I have the GDE ECO tune and I have towed close to the max several times with my Jeep. I have not noticed EGT's that high while towing. Not even close to the high EGT's you will see during DPF regen. Granted I am not towing through Colorado Passes, but I don't take it easy on the steep hills we do have. The higher EGT's while towing would help keep the DPF clean as the high heat is how the DPF is cleaned. The harder you run the cleaner the DPF will be. It gets plugged quicker when not driven hard, but if you were going to do lots of towing I would recommend removing the DPF. You will have lower EGT's and better performance without it.
The GDE tuner can not adjust for larger tires.

Pic of towing 150 miles with a heavy load of stuff when I moved last year +6000 lbs. I had lots of heavy steel not seen below the sides, I beams, c channel. I think the highest EGT I saw was low 900's and speeds ranged from 60 -75 mph.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #1131
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

I'll be towing a 6x12 foot tandem axle trailer as we move to CT, this Friday. I'll let you know how the Jeep with the ECO tune does towing 1,500 miles.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #1132
tibo4wd
2008 WK 

will be towing my ramcharger this weekend for a lttle trail... it'll be a first with the eco-tune and, if I have time, the airlift air-springs... I'll repost after to let you know how it went!
Unread 06-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #1133
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

I towed my 12' enclosed trailer that weighed 4,800 lbs at 65
MPH, from New Orleans to Tennessee. It averaged 14.6 MPG. Not too bad, right?
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #1134
Ahaze
2008 WK 

Pretty decent, however I don't expect to get that kind of mileage due to aerodynamics. The 6000+ lb load I referred to earlier is a 29 ft. travel trailer, just shy of 5000 lbs. empty plus 35 gal. of water and all the gear. Still around 1000 lbs. under the 7400 lb. tow rating but I'm still thinking I want a pre-turbo egt probe before I tow that with a tune.
Unread 06-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #1135
tleeming

I've towed 6000 miles to Mexico from British Columbia and back for the past six years with a CRD. My trailer tops out at 6000lbs.
Without the GDE I average 12.5 to 13 mp US gal. ....a baseline for you!
Tony
tleeming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #1136
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

Quote:
the tuner does not adjust for larger tire diameters. I have 31" which are 5% larger than stock. My odo, speedo, and EVIC are all wrong now (EVIC was wrong from day one anyway). I use a GPS speedo and get MPG using pencil/paper (multiply ODO reading by 1.05).

with Eco tune @ 60 MPH I get about 28 MPG; running Hot tune @ the same speed about 26.5. I have been able to log 30MPG by keeping the speed down to 50 MPH and using every hyper-miler trick I know (don't use your brakes!). Driving like a normal person, in combined HWY/CITY driving, I'm averaging 25MPG.

Everyone who drives this model NEEDS the GDE tune IMHO
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #1137
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Quote:
Pretty decent, however I don't expect to get that kind of mileage due to aerodynamics. The 6000+ lb load I referred to earlier is a 29 ft. travel trailer, just shy of 5000 lbs. empty plus 35 gal. of water and all the gear. Still around 1000 lbs. under the 7400 lb. tow rating but I'm still thinking I want a pre-turbo egt probe before I tow that with a tune.
Hey Ahaze. Just a note on tow ratings - All manufacturers quote tow rating based on an otherwise EMPTY vehicle and a 150lb driver. Don't know about you, but I haven't been 150lbs for about 10 years.... nor do I usually travel alone with no other cargo (human or otherwise) in the Jeep with me.

SO, while the Jeep is rated for 7400lbs (4x2) or 7200lbs (4x4), the maximum Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (Jeep + trailer) is only 12, 250lbs according to the owners manual.

Check the sticker on the driver's door sill for your Jeep's GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating - ie you, your passengers, gear, etc to the maximum rated capacity for the Jeep) and subtract that from the GCWR to find out how much you can actually safely tow.

I did this before pulling the trigger on our new 25ft travel trailer. My CRD's GVWR is 6150lbs. Subtracting that from the 12250lb GCWR leave me 6100lbs available for the trailer, fully loaded. Not quite the 7200lb tow rating in the manual.....

My trailer's Gross (loaded) weight is 4800lbs. The CRD tows it like a champ and I've got 1200lbs of "extra" towing capacity under the hood. that;s a comfortable margin for me; some may consider it too much weight to give up, but when I'm towing, I'm also usually hauling some pretty preciuos cargo - my wife and 2 daughters - so I'm happy to err on the side of caution.
Unread 06-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #1138
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08CanuckCRD
Check the sticker on the driver's door sill for your Jeep's GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating - ie you, your passengers, gear, etc to the maximum rated capacity for the Jeep) and subtract that from the GCWR to find out how much you can actually safely tow.
The best way to check actual Payload is to run it across a scale and subtract vehicle curb weight from GVWR. Mods will reduce the allowable capacity if it adds weight.

For instance
-Factory curb weight with 150lb driver is 5500lb -GVWR is 6500lb leaves 1150lb payload capacity -Oversized tires adds 200lbs reduces payload to 950lbs
-Occupants including driver 500lbs leaving 450lb payload capacity
-luggage 150lbs leaving 300lbs of payload capacity
-300lbs is the most your tongue weight can be or you will exceed the GVWR
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #1139
Ahaze
2008 WK 

I did the GCWR math and I'm legal there, but closer to the limit than I've ever towed before, thus my concern over adding fuel while towing this trailer. It doesn't seem like melting down the engine is a common occurrence though, so I feel a bit better. Wasn't intending to derail this into a towing capacity discussion.
Unread 06-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #1140
tibo4wd
2008 WK 

Here's what I towed last weekend with the GDE eco-tune and airlift air springs (to help the fact that I'm a little overweight...) and it ran great! best mileage ever and it followed my friends without trouble (they where towing TJs with ford f-250s powerstroke, rams with cummins and one with a wk hemi at 70+ mph and up a mountain...) So I'm very pleased qith the tune so far...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.