GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune) - Page 60 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune)

Custom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #886
sshaughn
2008 WK 

This whole summer I've been in a MPG slump...been conservative like driving miss daisy, AC on low, coasting to stops, etc...been averaging 19.8. (Usually 21.5, which is still lower than most on this forum). This is with combo city and highway driving, I recently replaced fuel filter, changed the oil etc...and have been getting worst MPG since. Should I go back to the ECO-tune instead of using the HOT-tune? Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Unread 09-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #887
GCDIESEL4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
That exhaust almost looks like turbo back.

I know he will, he has already driven mine with the GDE installed. Hopefully he gets his AC fixed, I really don't feel like troubleshooting all weekend.
Don't they have a "Tune" for that?
GCDIESEL4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #888
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Yah, you should go back to the Eco tune. Also be suspect of the biodiesel. If they are sneaking up the % of other oils in the blend there will be less energy in your fuel and mileage will suffer. It is the same as ethanol in the gas.
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #889
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoke View Post
Yah, you should go back to the Eco tune. Also be suspect of the biodiesel. If they are sneaking up the % of other oils in the blend there will be less energy in your fuel and mileage will suffer. It is the same as ethanol in the gas.
Not true ethanol contains roughly 30% less energy per volume than gas. The difference between biodiesel and #2 diesel is roughly 8.5 %. Unless he is using nearly 100% biodiesel, the difference is not that great. Here is a comparison chart.

http://www.biodiesel.org/docs/ffs-ba...5.pdf?sfvrsn=6
Unread 10-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #890
sshaughn
2008 WK 

Thanks, I'll go back eco for a while and see what happens, I'm using b20 biodiesel and have been for over a year. Maybe after trying the eco again and sample with regular "Dino" diesel for a bit as well.
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #891
jaje
2007 WK 

The ethanol bandwagon lost its wheels when actual reality reared its ugly head. I recall the political push and laws passed (at one point there was a hydra headed quadruple subsidy [farmer subsidy, distribution subsidy for infrastructure improvements, OEM subsidy including tax writeoff for OEMs to make flex fuel engines and CAFE adjustments that were the opposite of reality; and tariff on cheaper imported ethanol] promoting ethanol along) and the propaganda of a magical cellulostic ethanol that never panned out. Lobbyists did a great job buying votes for their measure. The reality was cellulostic ethanol was not a sustainable practice as the science was not proven, we had to use actual foodstuff / feed to make it efficiently thus give us higher food prices from both corn products and feed leading to higher meat prices, the Fed spent a lot of our tax money on the subsidies and preventing importation of ethanol at much cheaper prices (like from Brazil) and the real kicker was cars that used ethanol blend gasoline has worse mileage by up to 20% as ethanol has 30% less energy density (lovely that CAFE would give Flex Fuel cars a 25% increase in rated mpg when the opposite happened in reality). Even the greenies were fleeced as ethanol produced less carbon dioxide emissions but it was offset as more fuel was needed to do the same work load. Then logistics reared their ugly head as ethanol blend > 20% had to be trucked to distributors as 95% of the pipelines could not transport the more caustic fluid so an entirely new infrastructure was needed to make transportation efficient.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #892
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshaughn View Post
Thanks, I'll go back eco for a while and see what happens, I'm using b20 biodiesel and have been for over a year. Maybe after trying the eco again and sample with regular "Dino" diesel for a bit as well.
I recommend Power Service mixed in your tank. It is a good idea to run a tank of D2 very once in a while. I'm a believer in B20. If you're replacing your fuel filter regularly you should be fine.

I find I lose about 1 - 1.5 MPG running the Hot tune in combined HWY/CTY driving, but no difference with long highway trips. It's the stop N go that's bringing down the average.

Also I noticed that my tires went down about 2PSI last week (no more 100 degree days this year wahoo!). That saps the fuel economy significantly - keep an eye on your tire pressure!
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #893
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

B20

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverado View Post
Not true ethanol contains roughly 30% less energy per volume than gas. The difference between biodiesel and #2 diesel is roughly 8.5 %. Unless he is using nearly 100% biodiesel, the difference is not that great. Here is a comparison chart.

http://www.biodiesel.org/docs/ffs-ba...5.pdf?sfvrsn=6
Yah, according to the chart there is negligible difference in energy content between pure diesel and B20.

We don't see it much in Canada. Might be to cold in the winter. Is it OK for the DPF? Is there any difference in price?

Maybe I will try some when I head down to Arizona this winter.
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #894
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoke View Post
.....B20..... Is it OK for the DPF? Is there any difference in price?

Maybe I will try some when I head down to Arizona this winter.
Chrysler & Daimler state that 5% bio is OK for the North America car, but not more. I've seen evidence (from a VW TDI) that pure Bio does not work, and the higher your ratio, the faster it can clog the DPF. I'm confident from my experience (both with a VW TDI and the Jeep CRD) that 20% is OK but you need to run some 100% D2 every once in a while, you should use a conditioner made for Bio (Power Service has it), & you need to keep an eye on your oil. I use B20 because my engine runs smoother with it.

In my area you get B5 at the pump, and you can buy B100 to do your own blending. It's the same price per US gallon as pump fuel + $.05
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #895
pixelcodex
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlartibartfast
Chrysler & Daimler state that 5% bio is OK for the North America car, but not more. I've seen evidence (from a VW TDI) that pure Bio does not work, and the higher your ratio, the faster it can clog the DPF. I'm confident from my experience (both with a VW TDI and the Jeep CRD) that 20% is OK but you need to run some 100% D2 every once in a while, you should use a conditioner made for Bio (Power Service has it), & you need to keep an eye on your oil. I use B20 because my engine runs smoother with it. In my area you get B5 at the pump, and you can buy B100 to do your own blending. It's the same price per US gallon as pump fuel + $.05
Is the 5% a mere limitation of the DPF (I have a delete) or are there other parts that do not like 100% bio? I am not aware if any places in my area which sell it but I was always curious.

On a related topic (without wanting to start another oil thread) do any of you with a delete experiment with other engine oils? My understanding is that the delete opens up the options.
pixelcodex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #896
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcodex
Is the 5% a mere limitation of the DPF (I have a delete) or are there other parts that do not like 100% bio? I am not aware if any places in my area which sell it but I was always curious. On a related topic (without wanting to start another oil thread) do any of you with a delete experiment with other engine oils? My understanding is that the delete opens up the options.
I am running Mobil 1 0w40....it is nice to run an oil designed for the engine and not an oil,designed for the DPF.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-40.aspx
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #897
pixelcodex
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29
I am running Mobil 1 0w40....it is nice to run an oil designed for the engine and not an oil,designed for the DPF. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-40.aspx
Thanks Scott. I will have to check that out for the next oil change. How's the price? Any difference in fuel economy at all or any other noticeable advantages?
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #898
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcodex View Post
Thanks Scott. I will have to check that out for the next oil change. How's the price? Any difference in fuel economy at all or any other noticeable advantages?
Hard to say on the difference in fuel economy because there are so many variables.....availability and price is the biggest advantage for the 0w40...available at all WalMarts....but if you were able to do a fuel economy test oil comparison everything points to an advantage for the 0w40

24.97 for a 5 quart container...that is just over $50 bucks for oil.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W...h-Lid/23636902

Scott
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #899
pixelcodex
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Hard to say on the difference in fuel economy because there are so many variables.....availability and price is the biggest advantage for the 0w40...available at all WalMarts....but if you were able to do a fuel economy test oil comparison everything points to an advantage for the 0w40

24.97 for a 5 quart container...that is just over $50 bucks for oil.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W...h-Lid/23636902

Scott
This is great. No more $11-12 quart of oil. I can change the oil on a whim or when I have the time. No more having to plan an oil change like it's brain surgery...

Hey, and the delete pays for itself in 2 oil changes!
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #900
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcodex View Post
This is great. No more $11-12 quart of oil. I can change the oil on a whim or when I have the time. No more having to plan an oil change like it's brain surgery...

Hey, and the delete pays for itself in 2 oil changes!
Yep....I am going to send a sample to Blackstone on the next oil change...I will post results.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.