GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune) - Page 57 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune)

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 08-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #841
DanG28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep07 View Post
Dan, I just ordered mine yesterday and it looks to be waiting for me when I get home.
Nice! Im going to contact them soon now that I have the funds together.

Now Im sure its been covered somewhere in this thread, but is the EHM still necessary even with a tune that eliminates the swirl motor? Is the EHMs only function saving the swirl motor from failure?

DanG28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #842
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG28 View Post
Nice! Im going to contact them soon now that I have the funds together.

Now Im sure its been covered somewhere in this thread, but is the EHM still necessary even with a tune that eliminates the swirl motor? Is the EHMs only function saving the swirl motor from failure?
Not really. The EHM eliminates engine oil gumming up the swirl flaps. With the tune your swirl flaps are disabled and are permanently in the full open position.

Blue WK Club Member #2
BurmaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #843
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurmaJack View Post
Not really. The EHM eliminates engine oil gumming up the swirl flaps. With the tune your swirl flaps are disabled and are permanently in the full open position.
Dittoes to all this.... with this addition. If you have the old style seal, the orange one, then oil from the CCV will drip onto the swirl motor causing failure. Mine was literally full of oil that had seeped into it.

I discovered the GDE Tune AFTER I repaired my swirl.... so now I have a new swirl motor that does nothing..... but I'm still a happy camper knowing that it will never be a problem again.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #844
Chucknav
2007 WK 

I ordered my Eco Tune a couple of days ago and the Flash Tool was waiting for me when I got home today. Very FAST! I just emailed the "stock" tune to Keith, but I'm not 100% sure I did it right. It was a small file (only 449kb) and the PC didn't recognize it as a .ORI file. Do you just type "filename.ori" when the "save as" window pops up? It seemed like it worked...it was just a tiny file for how long it took the flash tool to download from the vehicle. Can anyone confirm I did this right...or wrong?

chuck
Chucknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #845
dieseljeep07

2007 WK 

WOW, just did the install and I can not believe how quick I received my program from GDE and how easy it was to install. Plus at an initial idle, I haven't noticed any extra noise as some have have stated. Hats off to GDE and I can't wait to see my fuel savings begin to add up.
dieseljeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #846
dieseljeep07

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucknav View Post
I ordered my Eco Tune a couple of days ago and the Flash Tool was waiting for me when I got home today. Very FAST! I just emailed the "stock" tune to Keith, but I'm not 100% sure I did it right. It was a small file (only 449kb) and the PC didn't recognize it as a .ORI file. Do you just type "filename.ori" when the "save as" window pops up? It seemed like it worked...it was just a tiny file for how long it took the flash tool to download from the vehicle. Can anyone confirm I did this right...or wrong?

chuck
Sounds right to me. I just created a file name and put .ori on it and sent it to them. I'm sure that if there was a problem they would have let you know. Got mine back in an hour and installed it. Can't wait to go for a drive now.
dieseljeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #847
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:

chuck
Sounds right. It is a small file. You could have named it anything plus the ".ori"
I named mine Chirps_2007.ori

The Flash tools is slow moving compared to your computer.
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #848
Chucknav
2007 WK 

I guess I saved the file correctly. Keith emailed me back his tune in less than an hour and I uploaded it immediately. I have only driven it about 10 miles so far, but it definitely feels strong. I don't drive aggressively very much, so I can't really say if there is a big difference or not. All I know is, when you floor it, it throws you back in the seat, not to mention throws all the junk I had in the back against the liftgate. It also seems like less turbo lag. I will result back with MPG results when able. I usually average about 20.0 in town now and 21.5/22.0 on the interstate. That's in hilly WV, 4x4 and 31.5 inch tires with a 2 inch lift. Customer service so far is Excellent.
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #849
DanG28

Im really curious to see how the fuel economy improves for you guys. I just filled up today for the 2nd time since buying the vehicle, and I managed to get 27 mpg last tank. The first tank I was at 24.5 mpg, but that was with some miles at highway speeds around 70 mph or faster. My daily commute is about 25 miles, 23 of which is flat expressway driving and I set my cruise at 55-60, and no faster. I do a VERY good job at coasting up to slower traffic or red lights, and i accelerate as lightly as possible. Im hoping 30 mpg will be manageable with the eco tune. Im very excited.
DanG28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #850
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG28 View Post
Im really curious to see how the fuel economy improves for you guys. I just filled up today for the 2nd time since buying the vehicle, and I managed to get 27 mpg last tank. The first tank I was at 24.5 mpg, but that was with some miles at highway speeds around 70 mph or faster. My daily commute is about 25 miles, 23 of which is flat expressway driving and I set my cruise at 55-60, and no faster. I do a VERY good job at coasting up to slower traffic or red lights, and i accelerate as lightly as possible. Im hoping 30 mpg will be manageable with the eco tune. Im very excited.
Sounds like you drive similar to me. Doubt you will see 30 mpg. Best I have ever seen is 28.6 driving between 40-55 mph in the mountains for about 300 miles. The gearing just won't allow anything better.
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #851
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

x2 - I held 30MPG for 20 miles driving @ 45MPH, air temp 55 degrees F, elevation ~700ft, no A/C, tires @ 38PSI, no cargo, no stop lights, 1/2 tank of fuel.

In the real world I get 26-27 average. At 85 MPH it's 22 at best. This baby is geared to pull stumps/trailers/boats/houses.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #852
zc911

I think I can better fuel economy out of the updated hot tune lol. I feel like my foot does not have to be in it as much to get equal acceleration. But the Eco tune feels nicer to drive
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #853
Chucknav
2007 WK 

I wish I could get close to the MPG you guys are getting. I drive around like a grandpa and can't break 24 MPG for an entire tank. I have gotten 500 miles on a tank just two or three times in 3 years of ownership. If you're getting 26-28 MPG you should easily be getting over 500 miles per tank. Are you actually getting this, or are you just reading the computer MPG's? Usually my tanks are in the 400-450 mile range and MPG is in the 21 mpg range (hand calculated). My interstate speeds are 65-73 usually. I know going faster hurts a lot, so I try to keep it at 65 when I'm not running late. I just don't think it's possible for my jeep to get over 25 for a whole tank unless I could drive 50 miles/hour the whole way, and that's not gonna happen. Hopefully the GDE tune will do some magic for me.
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #854
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

Quote:
I wish I could get close to the MPG you guys are getting. I drive around like a grandpa and can't break 24 MPG for an entire tank. I have gotten 500 miles on a tank just two or three times in 3 years of ownership. If you're getting 26-28 MPG you should easily be getting over 500 miles per tank. Are you actually getting this, or are you just reading the computer MPG's? Usually my tanks are in the 400-450 mile range and MPG is in the 21 mpg range (hand calculated). My interstate speeds are 65-73 usually. I know going faster hurts a lot, so I try to keep it at 65 when I'm not running late. I just don't think it's possible for my jeep to get over 25 for a whole tank unless I could drive 50 miles/hour the whole way, and that's not gonna happen. Hopefully the GDE tune will do some magic for me.
24 MPG before the tune is quite good. I was sitting around 22 pre-tune. The best I've gotten is 27 MPG over 489 highway miles. Outside temp was about 80-90 f. I was doing 45 for a 60 mi stretch, so it's not overly realistic. The best realistic tank I've gotten is 25 MPG at 65 mph. All my numbers are GPS verified.

I've found that beyond 110 kph (68mph), for every 10 kph faster I drive, I drop just over 1 MPG. I definitely think that 30+ MPG is possible with a stock vehicle and ECO tune, but at 45 mph, nobody's got time for that.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #855
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
My mileage is nothing to shout about compared to some others who post here. I would like to see a careful study done that compares exact equipment with mileage.

For example, I have ECO Tune, but I also have a bunch of 4xG armor that adds weight and I still have my roof rack in place. I have QDII..... how does that effect mileage compared to QTII? Etc Etc. Adding the tune gave me a nice increase in mileage...but since I was only getting 18-19 around town and 21-23 on the highway before the tune.... it is still below what some claim after my 2.5 mpg increase.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.