GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #61
BAH101
2008 WK 

Well, living in Thunder Bay has its advantages, I live 25 mins from the border and there is a store just across in Minnesota that will hold packages for Canadians. I got the programmer shipped there and just paid the tax's to get it across. I get a lot of stuff sent there as many companies in the US have free shipping in the lower 48.
GDE will ship to Canada though, it just takes about 10 days to get through customs (or there about's).
I purchased the programmer. Once you get the programmer, it is really quick, just set it up, download the file from your ECU, email it to GDE. I emailed mine at 10 am, got the new one at 1. Had it reloaded before 3.
Very impressed with the fast service.

Unread 05-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #62
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

wow thats awesome
yea im about the same time away from the border....only difference is the border guards dont like me very well LOL
something about the blacked out vehicle, having tattoos and being 23 in a $30,000 vehicle...ughh lol

still not bad tho..im used to the waiting for packages
thanks for the info
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #63
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Alternator Failure reveals another small benefit.

While on a trip pulling our trailer, my alternator failed. I wrote Keith an email to ask if this could be related to the tune since I recently installed the tune. He wrote back immediately and assured me it was not related.

We drove 100 miles to Spokane but the people there could not help us with the repair for about a week. 3 dealers all booked up. Memorial day weekend one day away. We did not want to camp out up there for that long so I found a dealer in Twin Falls Idaho who could help us Tuesday morning with warranty repair.

We drove on battery power only from Spokane, Wa to Twin Falls Idaho, over 500 miles pulling our trailer. I bought an extra battery and two chargers and we would drive until they both died, then pull into a campsite and recharge overnight.

I ran my first battery dry using the factory tune, and the second battery using GDE Tune. I discovered that if you are running on just a battery, you can go a little further using the GDE Tune. I got 120 miles on factory and my best with Tune was 165 miles.

I was VERY GLAD that I bought the flash device because I did not want the dealer to accidentally discover the tune and have a excuse to void my warranty. We have one of those extended warranties....

The dealer was good to his word and got us running again in ONE day. I was pleased.....but time will tell if they left some loose bolts etc etc. They did not even complain about my body armor or my EHM that was hanging down.

I'm re-tuned now and ready to leave in the morning. After driving a week on the road with the GDE tune, I just can't go back to the factory settings....the difference in power is amazing. Especially when pulling a trailer.

Pulling the trailer, I'm getting 15 and 16+ MPG with the tune. I only ran one partial tank on factory settings and got 13+. It is not really enough to have a good comparison because we were driving in the mountains the whole time.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #64
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Sorry to hear about your alternator issue.....keep the updates coming. I am still working on the same tank of diesel since I installed the tune.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #65
suzieque
2008 WK 

So why did the alternator fail? Some folks have reported oil spilled on the alternator since the oil fill spout is right above the alternator on the crd. Chrysler released a plastic shield and TSB you can get if you want.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #66
kamaksi
2007 WK 

I just had my alternator fail on friday in the middle of a trip.... luckily a local mechanic ran to a dealership and picked it up. He also said it was full of oil. when i bought the jeep there was oil all over that area from the Turbo Hose to the EGR... i cleaned it all up, but apparently it was just to much. I did put an elephant hose mod, and cleaned the area up, but apparently the damage was already done!! I dont have a GDE tune yet, but eventually will and was still able to cruise at least 100 miles on battery at night with lights on!!!
kamaksi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #67
Chirpz

2007 WK 

We are still on the road pulling our trailer with the GDE Tune. So far our best MPG has been 20.1 by careful "at the pump" calculation. We are loaded out at about 9700 pounds total weight and that includes a large Thule type car top carrier. I think we had a tail wind all day with this one.
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #68
Q500

What did the computer tell you mpg was?
Q500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #69
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q500 View Post
What did the computer tell you mpg was?
I do not recall exactly. I will have to check my logs in the Nuvi to get that info. I have been watching the dash readout periodically and it varies from 15.1 to 19.5 usually.
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #70
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
We are still on the road pulling our trailer with the GDE Tune. So far our best MPG has been 20.1 by careful "at the pump" calculation. We are loaded out at about 9700 pounds total weight and that includes a large Thule type car top carrier. I think we had a tail wind all day with this one.
Sounds like a great road trip...where ya headed and whatcha seein?
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #71
Chirpz

2007 WK 

From washington state, we are driving around lake Michigan and back. Saw Yellowstone, devils tower, national badlands, mt Rushmore, etc. Yellowstone is awesome. Rushmore is disappointing, see it on google instead.

I un-tuned the jeep when I took it into service because I have extended warranty and did not want to chance giving them a reason to void my warranty.
Unread 06-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #72
BAH101
2008 WK 

Nice long drive, you'll be just south of where I am.
Unread 06-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #73
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Just did my second fill up with the GDE Tune....truck was loaded with camping gear and the OzTent on top. 253 miles half interstate and half backroads. Got 21 mpg with this fill-up.

Also paid 3.29 a gallon for diesel....enjoy this why we can. If you have a diesel you need to get this tune...it will pay for itself fast.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #74
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Green pump handles

Near disaster!!!
Where we live, diesel fuel comes out of a green handled pump. It has been that way everywhere we have gone from Washington to Florida and now all across the North America. Shoot, even my fuel cap is green. So I am in the habit of looking for a green pump and going for it. Not any more!!

When we hit Wisconsin the other day, I pulled into a BP station early in the morning after we broke camp. I pulled up to the green nozzle, ran my card, and stuck the green nozzle in the fill spout of my tank. I was about to squeeze when I notice the small rectangle sticker on the pump that read "87 Octane." I though "HUH?" I left the pump, went inside and said, "Hey is that diesel or gas you got out there? Why is it green?" The guy inside looked at me like I was stupid and said, "all our regular is green." He was like, "what planet are you from?"

I shudder to think how that would have ruined our trip if I had not noticed that sticker. I'll never fail to look twice ever again. Whew!! Close one.

Sorry to be slow in posting mileage data. Internet is spotty and I have not had time to download the info from my Nuvi.
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #75
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz
Near disaster!!!
Where we live, diesel fuel comes out of a green handled pump. It has been that way everywhere we have gone from Washington to Florida and now all across the North America. Shoot, even my fuel cap is green. So I am in the habit of looking for a green pump and going for it. Not any more!!

When we hit Wisconsin the other day, I pulled into a BP station early in the morning after we broke camp. I pulled up to the green nozzle, ran my card, and stuck the green nozzle in the fill spout of my tank. I was about to squeeze when I notice the small rectangle sticker on the pump that read "87 Octane." I though "HUH?" I left the pump, went inside and said, "Hey is that diesel or gas you got out there? Why is it green?" The guy inside looked at me like I was stupid and said, "all our regular is green." He was like, "what planet are you from?"

I shudder to think how that would have ruined our trip if I had not noticed that sticker. I'll never fail to look twice ever again. Whew!! Close one.

Sorry to be slow in posting mileage data. Internet is spotty and I have not had time to download the info from my Nuvi.
Yea BP has to be special.....good catch.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.