GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune) - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune)

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #706
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel
theres not one, would have to be custom

buddy that did the DPF delete pipes is or was or did make a cat delete for his rig
Did he ?? making the pipe to fit in is one thing but having it done without check engine ie limp mode crap is another thing

Unread 04-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #707
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

Theres no sensors on the cat...
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #708
Radcrd
2007 WK 

There are Oxygen sensors that need to be dealt with or they will cause a check engine light.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #709
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

I suggest asking GDE, with most all other ecu reflash programs you can turn off CELs and force readiness to pass emissions tests. I have multiple CELs turned off on my Subaru.
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #710
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

Hmm theres a guy on JG that deleted his but he doesnt respond to anything
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
Tinted tails
more to come....
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #711
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcrd
There are Oxygen sensors that need to be dealt with or they will cause a check engine light.
Correct

... Food for thought here: if u have your egr close catalytic converter could eventualy cose problems with the excess of NOx agent ... I dont know Im just thinking here.

Whats the life span of a cat converter with the egr close ?
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #712
Tuco
2007 WK 

This is a great thread, but Im surprised there are no negative comments about this product. Seems too good to be true kind of thing. Please dont take this post as an attack, Im not trying to start a flame fest; just putting out an alternative viewpoint. We are interested in GDE tune, have heard a lot of good things about the company, particularly from folks here that we trust. Yet, I am still a bit skeptical about this type of product.

Ive never considered buying such a product because of the cost , legal issues and personally I question the accuracy of some of these mpg claims. Many claim 2 mpg average increase, I would suggest this is probably a maximum and realistically probably closer to 1 or 1.5. Im a skeptic and would think that after very careful measurements we might get at most 1.5 mpg increase as an average.

Even if we use an upper end of 2 mpg increase, If we drive 10k miles per year at $4 per gallon of diesel, this equates to about $165 savings in fuel per year. This means 5 years to pay for tool. Or for us, this means that the tool will pay for itself about the time we sell the Jeep.

The company claims that the engine will not be harmed in any way. How do we know for sure this is true? A turbo charger costs $4000 ....
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #713
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Hey Tuco.
I can't lay claim to knowledge of the long-term effects of the tune, but I've been running the Eco tune for a year, with 18k miles on the odometer. My mileage went up by nearly 4mpg vs stock before I put on the lift, the larger tires, removed the air dam, added armor, etc. Even so, at 60mph on highway trips I'm getting 21+ mpg with all those modifications. In city driving I'm getting 18.5 +/-. These are better numbers than what I was getting stock, without the off-road mods. AND the responsiveness and power are increased at the same time. Maybe it sounds like snake oil, but it's been reality for me.
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #714
Tuco
2007 WK 

Thanks. I just went to GDE website. Their warranty is a bit scary looking, but they do offer a full-money back promise as long as the product is returned within 60 days. So I think someone like me should try it and if I find the efficiency claims are not as promised, I can just return the GDE and sell the tool. Better than complaining about a product that I have not tried.

Has anyone sent theirs back for a refund? Any complications with the refund?

Speaking of flash tools. I already have a code reader. Im not too thrilled about buying the tool. Have any of you had success in renting one from GDE?
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #715
Radcrd
2007 WK 

I have yet to hear of anyone NOT being satisfied with their product and service so cannot comment on returns. This is my second GDE tuned Jeep and am very happy with it. I tuned it for the power more than the economy. I have been tuning my Diesels for 11 years (6 different cars) and NEVER had a failure or issues due to a tune. The tune is a modest modification, not enough to cause any long term damage in my opinion. If you start putting bigger turbo, bigger injectors and high flow fuel pumps then you can expect issues. And even at that I think the engine is bullet proof and could handle much more horesepower. The tranny would probably be the weakest link.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the Tune and wished you had done it sooner
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #716
snoman_wk
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
This is a great thread, but Im surprised there are no negative comments about this product. Seems too good to be true kind of thing. Please dont take this post as an attack, Im not trying to start a flame fest; just putting out an alternative viewpoint. We are interested in GDE tune, have heard a lot of good things about the company, particularly from folks here that we trust. Yet, I am still a bit skeptical about this type of product.

Ive never considered buying such a product because of the cost , legal issues and personally I question the accuracy of some of these mpg claims. Many claim 2 mpg average increase, I would suggest this is probably a maximum and realistically probably closer to 1 or 1.5. Im a skeptic and would think that after very careful measurements we might get at most 1.5 mpg increase as an average.

Even if we use an upper end of 2 mpg increase, If we drive 10k miles per year at $4 per gallon of diesel, this equates to about $165 savings in fuel per year. This means 5 years to pay for tool. Or for us, this means that the tool will pay for itself about the time we sell the Jeep.

The company claims that the engine will not be harmed in any way. How do we know for sure this is true? A turbo charger costs $4000 ....
I am probably not the only one here that thinks this way ... I ran the ECO tune and now the HOT tune for performance and not fuel milage ... I am happy to get better performance and same fuel milage. I did see at least 2mpg increase on highway but that is not why I run a tuned engine. If I want fuel milage we take the wife's tuned up 05' vow golf that gets 55+ on the highway !!!

Good luck with your decision

08' WK North Edition, 3.0 CRD, ARB Front Bumper, 2" Level kit, GDE HOT w/no regen, 265/70R17 Duratrac on 2013 Ribicon Rims
snoman_wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #717
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Thanks. I just went to GDE website. Their warranty is a bit scary looking, but they do offer a full-money back promise as long as the product is returned within 60 days. So I think someone like me should try it and if I find the efficiency claims are not as promised, I can just return the GDE and sell the tool. Better than complaining about a product that I have not tried.

Speaking of flash tools. I already have a code reader. Im not too thrilled about buying the tool. Have any of you had success in renting one from GDE?
heres a flash tool for u, talk to Keith and GDE and see how much it would be to tune it up and get it working for u

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...-tool-1507427/

also i had a problem after my dpf delete, had a CEL come on saying soot clog in the dpf, Keith had re-worked the tune and i havent had a problem since.

he said if the problem couldnt be fixed there would be no problem with me sending my unit back..

i dont know my real world mileage numbers pre tune, but on my evic it was always stuck at 14.3L/100kms, now its at like 12.5-13, but i do 100% city driving
and thats a 2MPG increase at all city...

so going on highway would be more,...did 2 hours of highway driving and over the whole tank brought me to 11.2L/100kms, which is 4.5MPG better than my evic was showing pre-tune..

food for thought
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
Tinted tails
more to come....
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #718
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

here is my fuelly if u are curious, i believe all numbers are post tune, and i forgot to note when i got the dpf delete but i can find out if u want
https://www.fuelly.com/driver/turbod...kee?fu=3184928

and dont forget, 100% city driving
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
Tinted tails
more to come....
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #719
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post

The warranty scared me too, but then I considered other warranties for other products and decided to plunge into the TUNE.

My only gripe at the time was the price...had to bite my lip and grit my teeth. But when you look at the price of some of the crappy software out there for your computer, it ain't so bad. I if you compare it to having your swirl motor replaced by a deal it looks good.

My main regret is that I did not discover the TUNE until after I had already replaced my swirl motor.

My wife used to complain a lot about the lagging behavior of this rig. Especially starting from a light. After the tune, all complaint ceased.... and I did not question her about it. She just stopped complaining.

If you put the tune in there and drive it a couple of week, you will not go back. I tried it for half a tank just to see the effect. When you put the stock tune back in you will think something is wrong with your rig.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #720
Rainier
2006 WK 

Had to be in Nelspruit at 9:00 this morning, but woke up very early and could not get back to sleep.

So left just after 5:00 after filling up and decided to test the Jeep's fuel consumption at 100km/h true speed on the gps. Above 100 aerodynamics tend to stuff up consuumption.

Got to Nelspruit and filled up immediately. Pleasant surprise: 27,7mpg at an average speed of 56mph.

Not bad for a permanent 4x4 with a lift, bigger tyres, 5 speed auto and a heavy body. And driver.;D

And the GDE Hot tune.

Back got 21mpg at an average speed of 73mph.

Total distance 400 miles.
Rainier is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.