GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune) - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #601
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

A friend has an app for his smart phone that connects thru the OBD II port with one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Small-Elm327-O.../dp/B005M1AVFQ

Unread 02-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #602
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

I use an OBD-to-bluetooth scanner and run Torque on my phone. Max boost I have recorded is 22 PSI. The Jeep doesn't have a true EGT sensor, so I monitor my Cat temps as a substitute for an EGT gauge. (I'm not eager to drill a hole in my exhaust manifold)
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #603
Dark_Star

Couple of questions about this tune: first, Does the GDE tune eliminate the need for the elephant hose mod? And second, doesn't the tune put out more torque then the torque converter can handle? Thx
Dark_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #604
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

ive never had an EHM
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #605
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Star View Post
Couple of questions about this tune: first, Does the GDE tune eliminate the need for the elephant hose mod? And second, doesn't the tune put out more torque then the torque converter can handle? Thx
YES and NO. Yes, in that your swirl motor is no longer an issue and so it does not matter if oil gets dripped onto it. Also, you can simply fix the leak with the black gasket that is mentioned elsewhere in the forum.

NO.... in that oil is still being sucked into your turbo intake. If you don't like that, then do the EHM or get a Cache Can, or a Filter.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #606
Dark_Star

Thx for the response! I don't want the oil in the turbo so looks like I will be doing the ehm! Thx
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #607
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Beware as you live in a winter climate. If the EHM freezes up (and they do) you may blow your turbo or engine seals. See other posts on the subject, it happened to another member earlier this winter. Personally I dont use one and never have in my 12 years of owning Diesels. Seen too many VW TDI's blow their turbo seals.. Oil in your intake is not a terrible thing. If you are going to do the EHM I suggest you remove it in winter.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #608
Dark_Star

Awesome thxs for your post!!! I will have to do a little more research before I do this mod!
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #609
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I do not use one......
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #610
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I don't either

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #611
wanabxtrm

Now that some of you have the DPF pipe deleted I'm interested in avg MPG change without the tune, with the tune, and with the pipe installed.

Just starting to weigh the addition of the tune here once I get some more $
wanabxtrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #612
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabxtrm
Now that some of you have the DPF pipe deleted I'm interested in avg MPG change without the tune, with the tune, and with the pipe installed.

Just starting to weigh the addition of the tune here once I get some more $
You can't delete the dpf without a tuner. You will throw codes and cause the truck to go into limp mode.
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #613
wanabxtrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDevotion View Post
You can't delete the dpf without a tuner. You will throw codes and cause the truck to go into limp mode.
-DD thanks I'm aware , that's why I thought this thread was a good spot to ask as the GDE seams to be the most widely used tune. I know they claim 2+ mpg boost, I figured removing the DPF had to relieve some back pressure and increase it some more. But not sure it's worth the cost over the near term, as its going to be my wife's daily vehicle (she could careless about power changes). I'm sure long term it would be.
wanabxtrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #614
jiggadog
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabxtrm View Post
-DD thanks I'm aware , that's why I thought this thread was a good spot to ask as the GDE seams to be the most widely used tune. I know they claim 2+ mpg boost, I figured removing the DPF had to relieve some back pressure and increase it some more. But not sure it's worth the cost over the near term, as its going to be my wife's daily vehicle (she could careless about power changes). I'm sure long term it would be.
from what i've read on the site the mpg gains are more from the tuning and not necessarily from the added tune to remove the dpf. i recognize the better performance and fuel mileage as a reason to tune, but i calculated it would take around 77,000km (assumed cost of fuel was constant) to get back my investment in fuel savings from buying just the tune, no dpf pipe. people rarely keep their vehicles long enough to ever realize a substantial benefit of doing these mods, but i understand why people would make these changes if you intend to put 500,000km on your vehicle, want additional power for towing, etc.

as i understand it, the advantage from removing the dpf is an engine that will last longer. I've done the resistor mod to address the swirl motor, which was my biggest concern. i did the EHM prior to putting the resistor on, so i may actually put that back to stock as well. i bought the dpf delete pipe, but i'm not sure i'm going to bother at this point.
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #615
jaje
2007 WK 

Don't forget there are two stages of the DPF: 1 - normal stage when it's not regenerating a deletion should get you 1-2 mpg at the most. 2 - regeneration stage is where excess fuel is sprayed in during the exhaust stroke in order to burn off the ash which reduces mpg at that time by 3-4 mpg. I'm not exactly sure how long the regen cycle is though.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.