GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune)

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #16
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggadog View Post
Would you mind explaining why you have it set-up like this? I don't understand what the purpose is. thanks.
Every 750 miles a CRD will do a high temp regeneration. The only way you can tell if the regen is happening is by monitoring the exhaust temps. When my CAT1 exhaust temps climb above 900F, 1000F to 1200F I know immediately that the engine is doing a regen.

Like I said it happens every 750 miles and last for about 10 minutes. It is the process by which soot is turned into ash.

I also know to continue driving to maximize the temps. If you were in stop and go traffic there is the potential to get a less than ideal regen. When you are on the highway you are putting out higher temps which aid in the regen process.

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
jiggadog
2008 WK 

ok..got you..you've set-up the dashawk to have a visual indicator when the jeep is in regen mode..i was stuck on the "flash" part.

thanks for the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Every 750 miles a CRD will do a high temp regeneration. The only way you can tell if the regen is happening is by monitoring the exhaust temps. When my CAT1 exhaust temps climb above 900F, 1000F to 1200F I know immediately that the engine is doing a regen.

Like I said it happens every 750 miles and last for about 10 minutes. It is the process by which soot is turned into ash.

I also know to continue driving to maximize the temps. If you were in stop and go traffic there is the potential to get a less than ideal regen. When you are on the highway you are putting out higher temps which aid in the regen process.

Unread 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #18
Dr. Internet
2012 WK 

I can also tell when it's doing a regen by the odor. Fairly noticable Diesel smell with the windows down.

2012 Black Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 4x4
USN Club Hull # WK-13
TEXAS Jeep Club #29
Dr. Internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
Chirpz

2007 WK 

GDE Tune flash scan device arrives.

Getting back to the GDE Tune, I ordered it on Wednesday morning and it shipped out the same day. It arrived today!! Wow, that was fast.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to use the tool until Sunday afternoon. I'll post some photos of the device along with my nervous comments and blood pressure.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Don't forget that you will have to download your current tune, come back to the computer and mail it to them. Then it will get modified and sent back to you to be uploaded in your Jeep. When I got mine I thought it would just plug and go.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #21
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Yes. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbama View Post
Don't forget that you will have to download your current tune, come back to the computer and mail it to them. Then it will get modified and sent back to you to be uploaded in your Jeep. When I got mine I thought it would just plug and go.
Unread 05-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
BAH101
2008 WK 

Here is where you find instructions (if you haven't found this site yet): http://www.greendieselengineering.co...list/112.pkage
Unread 05-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #23
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Talking about tunes and EGT gauges, how hard is the EGT sensor to install. Where do people mount the gauge and what do you think of this. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CLQBEPICMAo instead of water temp I would go to the trans pan for trans temp
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #24
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
Talking about tunes and EGT gauges, how hard is the EGT sensor to install. Where do people mount the gauge and what do you think of this. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CLQBEPICMAo instead of water temp I would go to the trans pan for trans temp
Brillant !! I like the idea of monitoring EGT from each manifold. Especially with a tune I think its vital to know EGT before the turbine ... if EGT during regen is 1200 F at the CAT 1 sensor...imagine what the temperature is like just before the turbine !
Unread 05-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Is the EGT sensor supposed to be before or after the turbo?

BTW the search function sucks on this forum? Nothing came up under EGT, he'll this thread should have come up.
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
Chirpz

2007 WK 

GDE Tune Arrives

I guess I was too eager to wait. I managed to sneak away from our anniversary party and download my data from the WK and email it off to the GDE people.

To my surprise, by the end of the day, I received an email reply with my new tuneup data file ready to install. I'll do that tomorrow afternoon and then do some testing. Waiting is difficult.

Fast service.
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak
Is the EGT sensor supposed to be before or after the turbo?

BTW the search function sucks on this forum? Nothing came up under EGT, he'll this thread should have come up.
Where ever you want, it depend what temp you'd like to monitor. There's already sensors after the turbo... Ecu captures the cat temp so you can monitor those via obd gauges (dashawk or bullydog). Curently there's none before the turbo
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
Chirpz

2007 WK 

GDE Tune .... OK, Wow!

OK WOW!

I went out today at 3 PM and installed my new Green Diesel Tune for my WK.
I'll post some actual data later along with some "For Dummies" photos of how the install is done. It was easy. Here is my first impressions of the performance.

I got in and started up. Nothing unusual. I listened carefully and did not notice any additional noise. If it is louder, I can't tell, but then I do wear hearing aids in both ears. My wife did not notice anything either and she is a "sound hound." I have not told her about the tune up yet. That is my way of testing the "feel" of it.

I put it in reverse to back out of the drive way and first off I noticed that the Jeep started moving as soon as I touched the accelerator pedal. There is usually some mushiness in the pedal and you can tweak it a little when you back up. NO MORE. Same with forward motion. There is no play at all in the pedal, if you push it even a tiny bit, it goes.

I also noticed that the going smoother and steadier. I sometime get a tiny bit of turbo lag, but not near like it used to be. The turbo lag (if that's is what it is) is also different. Used to be it would not accelerate strongly until the lag was over, now is gets off to a smooth strong and immediate start and then there is this tiny little lag. It seems to happen on medium and fast take offs, and is imperceptible on the slow typical type take offs. My wife often complains about the Jeep being laggy. I doubt that I will hear that complaint again.

Power.... I took it out and stomped it couple of times. Very subjective test. It does seem to have more pep. I have no way to rate this. It has always been peppy. Now it is a smoother peppy. I did notice that it is more difficult to get it to go slow in those 20mph zones on Main street. Have to watch it.

Mileage.... most important to me.
I'm starting with a FULL tank and have previous records. I'm clocking mileage using my Garmin Nuvi in harmony with a Garmin Mechanic Ecoroute HD that monitors the actual engine performance through the computer port. For the next fill up I'll compare their "At the pump" feature with past records. Each routed trip is tracked and log individually.

This morning I drove to Church and back.
Recorded 16.xx on the way there and 19.xx on the way back. On the way there, the trip was ruined by a long period of idling when we made a stop....should have shut it off. It is only an 8 mile trip so a little idling makes a dent.

This evening, we made the same trip and recorded 23.xx both directions. So it appears that I will have 3 to 4 mgp increase in mileage. This is very good news to me and shows that the "tune" will be a lasting value.

By the end of the week, I'll have some comparison data to post.
So, my first impression is that the "tune" is easy to install and it does what it claims to do."
Unread 05-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #29
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Keep us posted...I am traveling this week to MI in my ML350 so it will be another week or 2 before I can get the actual fuel economy for the first tank of fuel with the tune.

Fuel economy alone the tune will pay for itself, and the peace of mind with the swirl motor is priceless.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #30
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So let me make sure I understand correctly... the GDE tune will eliminate the swirl motor from the equation with no adverse affects? I have 84k on my 08 right now and the replacement black seal charge tube I installed at 25k is now leaking pretty good so its not the be all end all fix either. I need to run this truck for another 2 years so avoiding the swirl motor problem is huge for me. If this tune gets rid of it... that right there is worth the price of admission.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.