GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune) - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune)

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 08-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #136
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

Modifications to keep the vanes fully open all the time will lead to an underboost code, very weak performance and higher levels of soot generation. VGTs are not designed to be operated with full open vanes as the cross sectional flow area is just too large to build adequate drive pressure in the turbine. This holds true for low rpm and light,medium load operation. At full load, high rpm the vanes are typically more open as the flow rate is high enough to build boost.

GDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #137
Jscheier
2007 WK 

I just ordered a GDE tune (5 minutes ago).

If you look back through the archives, I had an InMotionUSA tune on my CRD since July of 2009.

Last week I got a check engine light and it was the same one I had before (Exhaust Gas Pressure P0471). Dealer checked it out, replaced the sensor and then got additional code (P0069 - MAP Sensor). Turns out the PCM was bad.

After two attempts, we got a PCM that would take all of the coding and the Jeep is up and running again. Unfortunately, without the InMotion tune.

InMotion has gone AWOL, so, after reading this thread, I decided to give GDE a try and get the Jeep back to a Boss 302 towing machine

Thanks for all of your detailed posts... definitely makes the decision easier!

John

2007 Jeep GC QD2 CRD is for sale!!!!
Jscheier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #138
Jscheier
2007 WK 

Got the programer late yesterday afternoon. Set it up and pulled my OEM file. Sent it in to GDE well after 5 p.m (MST). At 7 pm (MST) I got a reply with my modified file. Man.. talk about customer service. That's 8 p.m. in Michigan!

Anyway, installed it last night and all of the comments above are correct. Slightly louder when leaving a stop. Power is up. I filled the tank this morning and will keep tab on the mileage (although the display shows WAY higher than before on my InMotion tune).

Thanks GDE!

Unread 08-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #139
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscheier View Post
Got the programer late yesterday afternoon. Set it up and pulled my OEM file. Sent it in to GDE well after 5 p.m (MST). At 7 pm (MST) I got a reply with my modified file. Man.. talk about customer service. That's 8 p.m. in Michigan!

Anyway, installed it last night and all of the comments above are correct. Slightly louder when leaving a stop. Power is up. I filled the tank this morning and will keep tab on the mileage (although the display shows WAY higher than before on my InMotion tune).

Thanks GDE!
You are going to like it......we need some Boss eye candy in this thread..post up a pic...
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #140
Jscheier
2007 WK 

Photos from last year when I first got it. One is PPIR (Pikes Peak International Raceway) and I think the other is PMS (Pueblo Motorsports Park).
boss302.jpg   boss2.jpg  

Unread 08-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #141
Harry7
2006 WK 

I had the ETC warning light come on again on the way home tonight, and it went into limp home mode so I went straight to a mechanic that was recommended by a friend. He read the fault codes in front of me and came up with 2398, 1974 and 1033, all relating to Boost Pressure Sensor/Control. The dealer had told me the fault code was P0046, so this looks like something different, or the dealer wasn't being entirely honest because he wanted to sell me a whole new turbo atú3600?!
Harry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #142
attystomper
2011 WK 

New to the forum with a used 2007 Grand Cherokee CRD. Just bought it a week ago and have been researching several tunes. I have a question regarding the GDE tune "second hand".

Someone is selling a GDE tune locally that I know of. The seller says included are the tune as well as the flash/scan tool which doubles as an OBDII code scanner/clearing device.

How is this tune going to work if it is VIN locked? I thought with GDE, you got the flash tool, emailed them your OEM tune and they emailed you back the ECO tune? How does this work if it's a second hand tune?

I need to know if it will work without costing me more money for a tune from GDE. Like, I thought the tune you get emailed back from GDE is specific only to you vehicle and can only be used for that specific vehicle. How is this going to work second hand? I know with my last Dodge turbo car,Caliber SRT-4, I bought an ECM used and had it custom flashed and then had to get someone with a Starscan to program the VIN.
attystomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #143
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by attystomper View Post
New to the forum with a used 2007 Grand Cherokee CRD. Just bought it a week ago and have been researching several tunes. I have a question regarding the GDE tune "second hand".

Someone is selling a GDE tune locally that I know of. The seller says included are the tune as well as the flash/scan tool which doubles as an OBDII code scanner/clearing device.

How is this tune going to work if it is VIN locked? I thought with GDE, you got the flash tool, emailed them your OEM tune and they emailed you back the ECO tune? How does this work if it's a second hand tune?

I need to know if it will work without costing me more money for a tune from GDE. Like, I thought the tune you get emailed back from GDE is specific only to you vehicle and can only be used for that specific vehicle. How is this going to work second hand? I know with my last Dodge turbo car,Caliber SRT-4, I bought an ECM used and had it custom flashed and then had to get someone with a Starscan to program the VIN.

A second hand flash tool will not be useable on your WK due to the VIN locking, unless the flash tool has been erased/cleared. If you want a GDE tune, why not just order directly from us?
Unread 08-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #144
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDE View Post
A second hand flash tool will not be useable on your WK due to the VIN locking, unless the flash tool has been erased/cleared. If you want a GDE tune, why not just order directly from us?
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #145
attystomper
2011 WK 

I'll definitely be buying a gde tune straight from gde shortly, I just had a funny feeling the guy was trying to scam someone with a useless "used" flash. Thanks for the help.
attystomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #146
torqrise
2007 WK 

Any GDE users monitoring EGTs? I'm wondering about the effect of reducing the amount of EGR that this tune offers on exhaust temps. In theory they should increase.
Also - does the GDE tune advance timing?
torqrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #147
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqrise View Post
Any GDE users monitoring EGTs? I'm wondering about the effect of reducing the amount of EGR that this tune offers on exhaust temps. In theory they should increase.
I have seen a significant decrease in exhaust temps.....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 08-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #148
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqrise View Post
The GDE ECO tune typically lowers cruising exhaust temps 50-150 F, depending on speed/load. By optimizing the combustion less fuel is needed to hold speed and correspondingly slightly lower EGTs.

On a side note: We are almost finshed validating a DPF delete tune. Early data is showing a decent increase in fuel economy around 2 mpg. There is virtually no smoke exiting the tailpipe even without a DPF installed. The Merc engine is very clean. Coupled with the ECO tune the fuel economy gain can be up to 3-6 mpg.

The DPF itself was just gutted, then refit in place and all sensors remain in factory configuration. The face of the DPF was 60-80% clogged from ash. PO did not use the "low ash" oil apparently. Based on feedback, the exhaust tone is not noticeabley different w/o DPF brick.
Unread 08-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #149
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDE

The GDE ECO tune typically lowers cruising exhaust temps 50-150 F, depending on speed/load. By optimizing the combustion less fuel is needed to hold speed and correspondingly slightly lower EGTs.

On a side note: We are almost finshed validating a DPF delete tune. Early data is showing a decent increase in fuel economy around 2 mpg. There is virtually no smoke exiting the tailpipe even without a DPF installed. The Merc engine is very clean. Coupled with the ECO tune the fuel economy gain can be up to 3-6 mpg.

The DPF itself was just gutted, then refit in place and all sensors remain in factory configuration. The face of the DPF was 60-80% clogged from ash. PO did not use the "low ash" oil apparently. Based on feedback, the exhaust tone is not noticeabley different w/o DPF brick.
Will current customers get this DPF delete tune for free?
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 08-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #150
gemiller
2008 WK 

I'm itching for a dpf delete, I would probably take the plunge on the tune if it is dpf delete especially if someone is making an oem replacement dpf filter removable pipe(no issues with my filter right now so wouldn't want to trash it.) I'd love to tune, dpf delete and MBRP exhaust at one shot.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.