GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune)

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Chirpz

2007 WK 

GDE Tune (Green Diesel Tune)

So... I see there are lots of comments about the GDE Tune but I can't seem to find a thread dedicated to it. Lets start one.

If you have a GDE Tune or a thinking about getting one then this thread is for you. Please stay on subject.

I ordered my tune this morning and I see that it has shipped already. That is pretty fast service so far. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I also asked Keith at GDE four or five pre-purchase questions. He was fast to reply with answers.

If you have the tune already, you might post some data here and brag a little. Also reveal any problems that may have arose.

Which method did you choose to obtain the tune? Etc, Etc.

I decided to bite the bullet and buy the flash tool. So my bill was $750.00.... ouch. BUT we are going to launch on a 6,000 mile trip. At $4.35+ per gallon of gas, I should make up a portion of the price right there.
We'll see.

The scariest thing about the whole deal is the warranty. Its like... HEY you are messing with your car, if anything goes wrong, it totally on you. Its the same guarantee you get when you install a hack in your computer operating system or your WII Game System. If you hack, its on your back. I hacked my WII so I don't have to insert any disks any more..... great. But then my WII didn't cost me $26,000.

So.... hearing from happy customers is welcome and encouraged. When enough people say, "I did it and it works GREAT." It really helps. So dive in.

EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Yep had one on my WH for about 18 months.

Combined with a 3" exhaust and snorkel i got around 11l/100km with full armour and roof racks and mud tyres. Even on 35's im now getting 12.2l/100km city. Towing a camper was around 13l/100km.

Much better torque (and power), ran a 14.9sec at 89mph on the qtr mile too. Armoured. I can hunt Hemis :-).

The motor is noisier than before (part of the fuel savings are removing extra fuel pulses to quieten the combustion) but never worried me.

Flash tool is very handy trail side when the lights come on. Clears codes and all.

Dave
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Got mine done 2 weeks ago. I immediately saw an increase in mpgs and a decrease in exhaust temps. I have a lift and bigger tires so the engine was working harder.

Before tune @ 65mph = 700F+ on the Cat1

After tune @ 65mph = 500F on the Cat1

Still working on my first tank of "tuned" fuel, but I will report back mpgs. It will be a mix of hwy, city and trail.

Engine is slightly noiser. Sounds a little more trucky....

Power has increased, but it is not 500hp V8 put you in the seat power.....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Engine is slightly noiser.
Interesting that cat temp is lower.
Any idea on how does this help performance?
Do you think it could lead to incomplete burn off?

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

The lower exhaust temps while cruising are due to less fuel being injected, slightly more advanced timing and optimized boost pressure. This equates to a more complete burning of the fuel, not less. The higher exhaust temps with stock tune are also partially due to higher levels of hydrocarbon. Higher heat in the exhaust is more wasted energy and you money ging out the tailpipe.

The posted temp data is from steady-state cruising and does not reflect our changes to performance. The test would have to be completed stock vs. tune on a 0-60mph run to see the exhaust temp difference at full power.
GDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Does a cat use the high temp to incinerate soot keeping clean like the DPF does?

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

The catalyst on the WK is an oxidation catalyst. The light-off temp is between 360-380 F, this is the temperature when the catalyst starts converting HC and CO. The oxicat does very little to burn soot. To burn the soot you need sustained temps above 1100 F for 5-10 minutes, this is accomplished during the DPF regeneration.

There is also some passive soot regeneration in the DPF, but this typically occurs when the DPF bed temperature is above about 840 F. Typically during trailer towing or when vehicle is loaded and traversing grades. The level of passive regeneration is also highly dependent on the amount of platinum in the DPF substrate, which is only known by the Chrysler engineers.
GDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
BAH101
2008 WK 

Installed mine on Monday. I also went for the programmer and tune. Very quick response from GDE, emailed my tune to them around 10 am eastern, and had the mod tune back by mid afternoon. Very impressed so far, acceleration from a standing start is very good. Yup, it is louder I find, but only when you put the food down, but, then again, it is a Jeep with a diesel in it. So that is fine for me. Just completed a 200km trip to work, filled up half way. I have a garmin gps with the Eco app, it shows real time mileage figures on it. The mileage today on the drive was quite a bit lower than before the tune. By mid next week, I should have another 400km trip and fill, so i should be able to compare with my past mileage figures. I have recorded my fuel consumption on paper, from the time I bought the Jeep in 2008, so I should see any difference right away. I'll keep you posted.
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

damn nothing but great news so far
tune is gonna be my next big mod...
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Nice. Keep us posted on your observations.

What do you use to measure the exhaust temps? Elm Scan?
Sensitive toes?

Quote:
Got mine done 2 weeks ago. I immediately saw an increase in mpgs and a decrease in exhaust temps. I have a lift and bigger tires so the engine was working harder.

Still working on my first tank of "tuned" fuel, but I will report back mpgs. It will be a mix of hwy, city and trail.

Engine is slightly noiser. Sounds a little more trucky....

Power has increased, but it is not 500hp V8 put you in the seat power.....
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
suzieque
2008 WK 

Thanks for starting this thread chirpz!

I have some basic questions about the tune that I hope gde or someone else can answer:
1) what toon options are available? For example "economy"?, "performance"?, "swirl motor delete"?, "dpf delete"?, "egr delete"? Or combination of those items? My swirl motor is fine and I would like to keep it enabled with error codes that it may generate, but I'd like the egr disabled but I want go leave it place etc.
2) are you entitled to receive more than 1 toon? Or is every different toon an additional charge?
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Interesting. I regret that I have not kept detailed data since I got it.

I have one of those Garmin thingys too. Mine has the blue tooth transmitter that sends engine data to the unit on the dash. Is that what you have too?
I'm hoping there will be enough stored data in the unit to get a good comparison.

I'm not excited about more noise. My MB engine is so quiet it is amazing. You can hardly tell it is a diesel. Extra mileage will be worth it though as will the other spiffs.

Speaking of putting "your food down," have you ever tried cooking potatos on the engine while on a long trip. Wrap them tightly in foil. Works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
Installed mine on Monday. I also went for the programmer and tune. Very quick response from GDE, emailed my tune to them around 10 am eastern, and had the mod tune back by mid afternoon. Very impressed so far, acceleration from a standing start is very good. Yup, it is louder I find, but only when you put the food down, but, then again, it is a Jeep with a diesel in it. So that is fine for me. Just completed a 200km trip to work, filled up half way. I have a garmin gps with the Eco app, it shows real time mileage figures on it. The mileage today on the drive was quite a bit lower than before the tune. By mid next week, I should have another 400km trip and fill, so i should be able to compare with my past mileage figures. I have recorded my fuel consumption on paper, from the time I bought the Jeep in 2008, so I should see any difference right away. I'll keep you posted.
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz
Nice. Keep us posted on your observations.

What do you use to measure the exhaust temps? Elm Scan?
Sensitive toes?
I have a dashawk that I use....it provides me exhaust temps mainly for regens which happen every 750 miles. Temps on the regen go above 1200F for 10 minutes. I have the Dashawk setup to flash at temps above 900F.

When I added the bigger tires I noticed an immediate change in exhaust temps....which meant to me the engine was working harder to move the bigger tires and push the lifted Jeep.

With the GDE tune I am back to exhaust temps I saw with the stock wheels, tires and suspension.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz
Interesting. I regret that I have not kept detailed data since I got it.

I have one of those Garmin thingys too. Mine has the blue tooth transmitter that sends engine data to the unit on the dash. Is that what you have too?
I'm hoping there will be enough stored data in the unit to get a good comparison.

I'm not excited about more noise. My MB engine is so quiet it is amazing. You can hardly tell it is a diesel. Extra mileage will be worth it though as will the other spiffs.

Speaking of putting "your food down," have you ever tried cooking potatos on the engine while on a long trip. Wrap them tightly in foil. Works great.
My wife is the noise gauge...tire noise and engine noise. She did not notice any difference. It is not louder to the untrained ear.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 05-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
jiggadog
2008 WK 

Quote:
I have the Dashawk setup to flash at temps above 900F.
Would you mind explaining why you have it set-up like this? I don't understand what the purpose is. thanks.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.