GC Roof Rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GC Roof Rack

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
51flattie
1951 M-38 

GC Roof Rack

Hello all, I recently purchased a "Defender" one piece roof rack to mount on our 2006 Overland GC. Looks like the cross bars need to be removed. I am about to cut them out but was hoping to avoid damaging OEM stuff for later re-sell. I've removed the tighten/adjustment bolt, tried prying the attachment to the side rail up, out, and to each side to no avail. There is an interesting looking recessed pin on the outer side of connection piece, does this need to be removed or punched out?

Any tips on removal is appreciated!

51flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
fxanimator1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to see pics of your roof rack.
fxanimator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
51flattie
1951 M-38 

I will as soon as I can remove stock cross bars and install the new-assuming that you want to see the new Defender installed!
Unread 05-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
T-Rated

That pin is what holds it in. Dunno how to remove it, though. Vice Grips?

I know that Swampy101 (I think he's on JeepsUnlimiited) has a Defender roof rack. Here's a post by him:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...46&postcount=7http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...46&postcount=7

And a link to pictures of his rig:
http://www.bryanmaine.com/web/Jeep/

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L • Bells • Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks • Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails • Flowmaster 70 • 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
coloradowk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51flattie
Hello all, I recently purchased a "Defender" one piece roof rack to mount on our 2006 Overland GC. Looks like the cross bars need to be removed. I am about to cut them out but was hoping to avoid damaging OEM stuff for later re-sell. I've removed the tighten/adjustment bolt, tried prying the attachment to the side rail up, out, and to each side to no avail. There is an interesting looking recessed pin on the outer side of connection piece, does this need to be removed or punched out?

Any tips on removal is appreciated!
No need to cut!! Just grab some needle nose pliers and pull that silver pin out. You'll be good to go.
coloradowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
51flattie
1951 M-38 

Uh oh===tried to punch one through. its stuck now in about 1/8" . other 3 are recessed flush-no needle nose on those. I'll have to try to drill them out unless someone comes up w any great idea!! keep them coming--goin camping /4wheelin out of death valley nex weekend and really need that rack space
Unread 05-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
T-Rated

Death Valley? Really? I thought it was getting too hot to set foot in that place.

I'm too lazy to walk the 20 feet to my WK, but would it work to find a long skinny pin/nail and pound them out from the other side?

Mods: Tow Hooks • Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails • Flowmaster 70 • 255/65R17 REVO's
Unread 05-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
51flattie
1951 M-38 

Too Hot?? Were staying in higher els coming in from owens valley - dropping in later afternoon.

Took a look at rack- no pin access from other side. After the beers have setlled in and I thought I should not do any cutting now - while in the shower this morning because that where i get all of my brilliant idea,s I thought does the new rack fit over the orignial?? to my surprise it looks like it does by shifting the cross bar to the desired location it will fit without removal of cross bar. Only drawback is the stock clamp/ tightening hand screw sticks up into the new rack storage area.

I'll install this evening to see if it really works..stay tuned
Unread 05-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
T-Rated

If there's no pin access from the other side, why were you trying to punch it through? Hopefully you'll find a way to remove them.

Make sure you take pictures of the rack. I've yet to see some up close shots of them on a WK.

Unread 05-21-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
51flattie
1951 M-38 

OK,T-Rated is correct, Pin must be removed from at least one side. Need to drill out opposite side of assembly so that you can punch pin back out. Easy to drill through plastic assembly. Punch pin out, lift assembly off same side, lift the cross bar while at other side will release the other side-easy.

Only comment on Defender rack for the WK is that it is off center by about 1/2 inch due to mounting holes in rack. can't notice from sides, but is more recognizable from back where the "Defender" lable is not centered on vehicle.

Pics to come later--too dark now!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.