GC replaced water pump - now over heating... please help! I'm clueless - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GC replaced water pump - now over heating... please help! I'm clueless

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 10-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
karillian
2005 WK 

GC replaced water pump - now over heating... please help! I'm clueless

So yesterday...
It sounded like my belt went... then I pulled over and steam started spewing out. Radiator fluid leaking (pouring) everywhere.
I had a mech look at it, they said it was the water pump... it looked like it to me, but I know nothing about engines. SO, he replaced the pump today. He let it run to get it to burp, for a LONG time. It seemed like it didn't want to, so he drained everything again, added the coolant and water, let it run. Said it was good. I drove it 2 blocks and my temp gauge went to H, it said over heating on my readings, I tried to turn on the heater to pull heat away and my heater wouldn't get hot. So it sounds like there's air blocking or something. So... is it that little screw in the line that needs to be loosened to air out?? Nothing else seemed to work. Please help me!! Thank you!!

karillian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
06WKLaredo
2006 WK 

Hope it's not a blown head gasket...
06WKLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
brenden15s
2005 WK 

Yes its that little screw take it out and use a funnel to pour coolant in there it will vent air and pull in coolant needed
Unread 10-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
karillian
2005 WK 

Thanks... Ill try that tomorrow
karillian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
jmolli

Quote:
Originally Posted by karillian View Post
Thanks... Ill try that tomorrow
Replaced the water pump at 70,000 miles on my 2005 3.7L WK. It had a diesil like sound at idle, it was the bearings failing on the pump. I could shake the pulley easily with my hands. The job is very easy, only took 1.5 hours. Be sure to remove the vent plug where the upper radiator hose goes into the front engine cover and fill the block SLOWLY through the upper hose until you get fluid out of the plug hole.

If you don't do this, you will overheat due to no water in the block. Not a good thing!

P.S. Find yourself a new mechanic!
jmolli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
brentwoodkris
2005 WK 

Hopefully he put the thermostat in the right way around...
brentwoodkris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
BlueSteelJP
2005 WK 

Also check the radiater isn't plugged at the bottom because of debree from gaskety material etc.
Blue WK Club Member #10

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 Liter Hemi no Mods So Far.
BlueSteelJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
laredo , overheating , radiator help needed , water pump failure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.