GC Ltd 2005 chassis vibration on highway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > GC Ltd 2005 chassis vibration on highway

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
rojen

GC Ltd 2005 chassis vibration on highway

We have a Grand Cherokee Limited 2005 5.7 liter. Every so often at highway speed the chassis gently vibrates as tho' we were on very gentle rumble strips. Happens only on the highway, speed
up or slow down does not affect it, it stops after 1-2 minutes. Local dealer-
ship maintenance department can't help.
All tires were recently balanced (this local garage is big stickler for everything
being just right), problem was happening before and after balancing.
My husband wants to take us on a 25th anniv. road trip but I am hesitant -- I
saw the movie "It Happened One Night" and I just don't have the legs that
Claudette Colbert had.....
any thoughts?

rojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Nand12

If it feels like going over rumble strips, chances are that it's the torque converter shuddering (rumble strip sensation is a classic sign). Is your transmission fluid at the right level and has it been changed regularly (every 30,000 miles)?? The other possibility that comes to mind is an out of balance driveshaft but since you said it stops vibrating after 2 minutes, this is unlikely. Also, I noticed that you're also from MA..which dealer are you taking it to (because I may be able to recommend a better dealer)??

Last edited by Nand12; 08-04-2009 at 04:40 PM..
Nand12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
yrkoverland
2000 WJ 

Any chance you have the 5.7l hemi?

It could be the MDS kicking into 4 cyl mode so you may feel the 4 cyl rumble :-)
yrkoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
kudah

one way to test tire balance I never thought of until I watched my tech do it with my jeep. he put it on the rack with some one in it and lifted it just off the floor by about 6 inches, and he goes take it up to 60mph. And we watched the tires shake. We think when the lease was up the owner bought new tires but didn't rebalance for them.

funny story on my tC, I bought new shoes in the winter when we had unusual amounts of snow (around Seattle) My tech has 4 skull valve stem caps and he puts them on when he puts the new tires on. Road conditions are bad for awhile and I don't drive at speed too much. After the snow is gone I have a vibration on the freeway. Have the tires re-balanced and an alignment.. still have a vibration. One day I'm looking at my car and I think.. I wonder how much those valve stem caps weigh... 2 of them were plastic and weighed almost nothing. 2 of them were solid steel! I took them off and drove my car... vibration gone. I wanted to throw them at my tech!
Unread 08-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
rojen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nand12 View Post
If it feels like going over rumble strips, chances are that it's the torque converter shuddering (rumble strip sensation is a classic sign). Is your transmission fluid at the right level and has it been changed regularly (every 30,000 miles)?? The other possibility that comes to mind is an out of balance driveshaft but since you said it stops vibrating after 2 minutes, this is unlikely. Also, I noticed that you're also from MA..which dealer are you taking it to (because I may be able to recommend a better dealer)??
Many thanks for your thoughts, sorry that computer trouble kept us from getting back to you. Trans fluid is good. Our Seacoast Motors dealer in Salisbury MA is no longer a dealer from the last round of dealer cutbacks, we're looking for another Jeep service provider in the greater Newburyport MA area. again, our thanks.
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
rojen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudah View Post
one way to test tire balance I never thought of until I watched my tech do it with my jeep. he put it on the rack with some one in it and lifted it just off the floor by about 6 inches, and he goes take it up to 60mph. And we watched the tires shake. We think when the lease was up the owner bought new tires but didn't rebalance for them.

funny story on my tC, I bought new shoes in the winter when we had unusual amounts of snow (around Seattle) My tech has 4 skull valve stem caps and he puts them on when he puts the new tires on. Road conditions are bad for awhile and I don't drive at speed too much. After the snow is gone I have a vibration on the freeway. Have the tires re-balanced and an alignment.. still have a vibration. One day I'm looking at my car and I think.. I wonder how much those valve stem caps weigh... 2 of them were plastic and weighed almost nothing. 2 of them were solid steel! I took them off and drove my car... vibration gone. I wanted to throw them at my tech!
Thanks for your reply. idid buy new tires recently and same as you the guy didn't balance my tires correctly!
i took it to my local mechanic and he did a super job balancing- now i go 80 and no out of balance feel. my vibration problem though is different from a tire problem. it only lasts for 45 seconds or so at 60mph approx.
i have a 5.7 liter hemi and i'm wondering if it might be the mds system that shuts down 4 cylinders when averaging a certain speed? or somebody said that it might be a torque converter.
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
rojen

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrkoverland View Post
Any chance you have the 5.7l hemi?

It could be the MDS kicking into 4 cyl mode so you may feel the 4 cyl rumble :-)
thank you for your reply. i do indeed have the hemi engine but not sure that i have the mds system becouse its
a 2005 grand cherokee limited and im not sure if that year has the mds system. also if one has that should'nt
it be a seamless transition to 4 cylinder mode or might i have a problem with it if i do have the mds. sorry for the late reply- we were on vacation.
Unread 08-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Psyco6string
2007 WK 

I have got the same low pitch grumble from 58 to 68 mph . I thought it was carrier bearings but my trusty dealer sait it was the tires.I rotated them but it is still there. Good thing I bought a lifetime warranty. Hopefully it gets worse so I can pinpoint it !............ I should have bought a Tahoe.
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
EricS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nand12 View Post
I have this exact symptom - like driving over rumble strips. Nothing subtle about it. Entire vehicle vibrates at relatively high frequency.

It will happen at highway speeds, and it has also happened driving just at 35-40 mph. Always only after having warmed up. First thing in the morning, it will never do it. It is intermittent...only happens once or twice a week.

Only way I can get it to stop is to slow the vehicle down to around 25 mph. (Pretty inconvenient when on the expressway!) Then it will drive just fine.

I know it is NOT tires, drive shaft, or MDS. (I know what all those things feel like.)

So is this known to be the problem - torque converter? (Dealers around me say they either haven't heard of it, or if they have, they have never had one come in with the problem.) Nand12 - are you a tech?

Thanks!
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
brentwoodkris
2005 WK 

Roadforce balance fixed that issue for me
brentwoodkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
EricS2

Wheels have been rebalanced multiple times. I have had roadforce balance solve a vibration issue on a different vehicle, but the vibration is not repeatable in this case - it is very intermittent. And once it starts to vibrate, speeding up or slowing down +/- 10 to 15 mph, shifting gears, etc. does not make it go away, or diminish. I have to slow down to about 25 mph. Then I can speed back up to the same speed it was vibrating at, and it will be smooth as can be. Also, when it is vibrating, if I hit the gas a bit, it feels like the torque converter will not unlock as it normally would.
EricS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
gradeigh1
2005 WK 

Any one figure this out? My 05 3.7 WK is doing the same thing. Occasionally it will vibrate like going over rumble strips for a moment or two. I can speed up to 80 and it goes away or slow down. It will only do it once per ride. Its never happened twice in the same trip.
gradeigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
JRLT
2010 WK 

Had a shimmy that we thought was the wheels too. I just got our 05 Jeep GC back from the dealer, rear U-joint was seized, had to replace the whole shaft, still under warranty. Has the 4.7, used it to haul a 6x10 trailer with about 1500 pounds of PA gear. Used the Tow/Haul switch religiously. Not saying this is your problem but it doesn't hurt to rule it out.
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
EricS2

gradeigh1 - Speeding up or slowing down to make the vibration go away is a different symptom than mine. Mine keeps vibrating until I come to just about a complete stop. (Sometimes I do have to come to a complete stop.) Speeding up or down by 10 or 15 mph makes no difference, at all. So your issue may be different.

I have been holding out waiting for the problem on my Jeep GC to get more frequent, but it has not, so it's going into the dealer this coming Monday. It seems to do it 1 out of 2, or 2 out of 3 times I drive the vehicle. I can pretty much get it to do it if I get the vehicle warmed up really well, and then park it for a half hour or so, and then drive it again on the highway. After going about 10 miles, or so, without stopping, the vibration will set in. I'll post back what they find. Well...assuming they can find something! Crossing my fingers!
EricS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #15
gradeigh1
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS2 View Post
gradeigh1 - Speeding up or slowing down to make the vibration go away is a different symptom than mine. Mine keeps vibrating until I come to just about a complete stop. (Sometimes I do have to come to a complete stop.) Speeding up or down by 10 or 15 mph makes no difference, at all. So your issue may be different.

I have been holding out waiting for the problem on my Jeep GC to get more frequent, but it has not, so it's going into the dealer this coming Monday. It seems to do it 1 out of 2, or 2 out of 3 times I drive the vehicle. I can pretty much get it to do it if I get the vehicle warmed up really well, and then park it for a half hour or so, and then drive it again on the highway. After going about 10 miles, or so, without stopping, the vibration will set in. I'll post back what they find. Well...assuming they can find something! Crossing my fingers!
Any update on what they found?
gradeigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.