JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   GC CRD coolant temperature when towing (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/gc-crd-coolant-temperature-when-towing-2045489/)

VANCRD 01-27-2014 11:18 PM

GC CRD coolant temperature when towing

Just wondering if anybody has used a scan tool to get the actual coolant temperature when towing with a GC CRD? I would be particularly interested to see what temperatures it gets to when towing uphill, in summer. Thanks for any answers.

MBDiesel 01-28-2014 02:41 AM

I'll be able to get you some numbers in about 6 months ;)

Based on what I've seen on my scan tool, the center tick on the gauge is about 90C. The first tick above the peg is about 60. I haven't gotten it past the middle tick since I got my reader.

SSF556 01-28-2014 06:42 AM

I am able to see coolant temps....normal driving minimal load it will be around 190 to 199F....when towing or loaded for camping in the hills in SC heat I will see 215 - 220 F max...these engines are designed to go upwards of 240F plus. 250F and you may want to get concerned.

VANCRD 01-28-2014 12:08 PM

Thanks MB and Scooter. I was towing with my CRD for the first time last summer (2 days after I got it) and the needle got up to between the 1/2 and 3/4 mark on the bigger hills. Was wondering what temperature that was. I have a scan tool now so I will be able to get the exact temperature when heading up there again this July. I assume that the MB drivetrain is set up for this - given that it has a towing capacity of 7200 lbs. - I guess I would like to see more cooling in the thing so it would stay around 190-200 even when towing - much like the way an 18 wheeler can just crawl up a long hill towing a heavy load and do it all day without worrying - due to lots of cooling capacity in the engine and transmission. I was also trying to find a gauge that would read the transmission temp (as has been discussed here several times) but aside from the Dashhawk - which is not made anymore - there does not seem to be one that I can buy that will show this.

MBDiesel 01-28-2014 01:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If you have (or are willing to get) an Apple device, the guys who made Dashhawk make Dashboss now. It is a proprietary Bluetooth transmitter that sends the data to their app. I have one and it displays trans temperature, shaft and turbine speeds as well as current and target gear.

Here's some screenshots from my iPad showing the app (not in the Jeep so the data isn't there). The scale on the fuel pressure gauge is not big enough (Bosch CDI gets to 26,000PSI); Ken is working on making it bigger for the next app update.

jjt250 01-28-2014 03:39 PM

Does the transmission temp part actually work on that app??

SSF556 01-28-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANCRD
Thanks MB and Scooter. I was towing with my CRD for the first time last summer (2 days after I got it) and the needle got up to between the 1/2 and 3/4 mark on the bigger hills. Was wondering what temperature that was. I have a scan tool now so I will be able to get the exact temperature when heading up there again this July. I assume that the MB drivetrain is set up for this - given that it has a towing capacity of 7200 lbs. - I guess I would like to see more cooling in the thing so it would stay around 190-200 even when towing - much like the way an 18 wheeler can just crawl up a long hill towing a heavy load and do it all day without worrying - due to lots of cooling capacity in the engine and transmission. I was also trying to find a gauge that would read the transmission temp (as has been discussed here several times) but aside from the Dashhawk - which is not made anymore - there does not seem to be one that I can buy that will show this.

You will be hard pressed to keep coolant at those levels when towing.....check out the Sprinter forum as well for more details on towing temps.

MBDiesel 01-28-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjt250 (Post 19840497)
Does the transmission temp part actually work on that app??

It does, and it is different than the coolant temp (not just a copy of that data). I can verify the validity of the data because it changes to a copy of the coolant temp when in park or neutral. The temp sensor is wired in series with the park/neutral switch on the NAG1. From the service manual:

Quote:

Theory of Operation

The Electrohydraulic Control Unit Assembly of the NAG1 transmission contains a temperature sensor to monitor the
transmission oil temperature. This sensor is wired in series with the transmission Park/Neutral switch. The Transmission
Control Module (TCM) expects to see a valid voltage level from the sensor when the shifter is in Reverse
or any forward Drive position. The TCM also expects to see an open circuit condition when the shifter is in the Park
or Neutral position. When the controller detects an open circuit when in Reverse or any forward drive position the
DTC will set. Note: Due to a open circuit condition in Park or Neutral, the TCM substitutes the Transmission Temperature
reading with Engine Temperature when in Park or Neutral.

VANCRD 01-29-2014 02:04 AM

Thanks MB, great information. My kids have I-phones so I will give that app a try pronto - it would be great if I could get transmission temp as well!

Scooter - yes, I'm sure you're right and it's probably not necessary anyway.

Drudgery1971 01-29-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBDiesel (Post 19849721)
It does, and it is different than the coolant temp (not just a copy of that data). I can verify the validity of the data because it changes to a copy of the coolant temp when in park or neutral. The temp sensor is wired in series with the park/neutral switch on the NAG1. From the service manual:

Thanks for this info. I am going to try this on Dashcommand as it has trans temp also (4 versions actually) but I never realized it was tied to the gearing in terms of on/off and only tried it in park..... which it read coolant temp like you said so I figured it was wrong. Will see if it switches over once in drive. Thanks again.

Radcrd 01-29-2014 11:20 AM

If your transmission starts to overheat you will get a warning signal and message on the cluster stating Transmission over temperature.

MBDiesel 01-29-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANCRD
Thanks MB, great information. My kids have I-phones so I will give that app a try pronto - it would be great if I could get transmission temp as well! Scooter - yes, I'm sure you're right and it's probably not necessary anyway.

FYI you'll need the Dashboss Bluetooth OBD dongle for the app to work. The license for the app is included with the purchase of the dongle.

The time now is 06:17 PM.