Gauges going crazy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Gauges going crazy

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
88mudder

Gauges going crazy

This may have been on here before but I haven't found it. 06 Grand 4x4 4.7l the gauges will go crazy from time to time when driving down the road. It will ding, all warning lights come on, message says trans over temp, tach and speedo will zero out, just crazy stuff!! Anybody experienced this??? The check engine light is staying on all the time reading P0456 - Evap Emission Sys Leak. But that shouldn't have anything to do with the gauge problem.
Thanks for any help!

88mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Bad ignition switch maybe?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/e...em-pod-882517/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/l...f-dash-822346/

As for the "Evap Emission Sys Leak", maybe a bad gas cap?
Unread 12-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
88mudder

Thank you!!
Unread 12-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
88mudder

I know this is a dumb question but I am assuming the switch you guys are replacing is on the backside of the key hole??? Just wanted to make sure before I started panels off the dash.
Thanks!!
Unread 12-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
colinzj
2006 WK 

It is.

But have your battery tested and check your terminal connections first.
Unread 12-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
88mudder

Thanks! I put a new battery on about a month ago. Come to think of it, I didn't have any problems until the old battery died and I put a new one on.
Unread 12-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
88mudder

Well I put in the new ignition switch last night and it didn't fix the problem. I put a new battery on about a month ago so the battery is good. It was fine this morning for about 2 miles. Then hit a small bump in the road and warning lights and gauges went crazy again. Anybody has any other ideas??? This is driving me nuts!!! Maybe something loose/bad connections since it seems to mess up more when I hit bumps??? But don't know where to start searching???
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:10 AM   #8
ddaniels72
1999 WK 

Chrysler issued a TSB, number 08-15-99 on May 21, 1999 about this problem. I quote from the bulletin:

SUBJECT:
Erratic, Intermittent Cluster Operation/Intermittent Air Bag Warning light.

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a repair harness containing a revised instrument cluster connector.

MODELS:
1998 - 1999 (TJ) Wrangler
1998 - 1999 (XJ) Cherokee

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicles may exhibit an intermittent illumination of the air bag warning light or an intermittent tachometer or speedometer drop out. An Airbag Electronic Control Module (AECM) fault code - "No Cluster CCD BUS" message will be present.

DIAGNOSIS:
Using the DRB III(R), read and record all active and stored fault codes in the AECM. This condition is caused by minor oxidation of the BUS circuit terminals at the instrument cluster connector. Electrical terminals will show signs of oxidation, which will appear as darkened lines or marks on the cluster male terminals. These often appear as gray or black marks rather than the appearance of oxidation or corrosion usually associated with higher current carrying circuits. This condition will set a "NO CLUSTER CCD BUS" message. The fault code will usually be stored and not active. THIS TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN WILL NOT ADDRESS FUEL OR OIL PRESSURE GAUGE ISSUES. If this fault code is present, either active or stored perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
1 - 05016261AA Cluster Connector Patch Harness
1 - 04856975 Electric Contact Cleaner
2 - 04778570 Heat Shrink Tubing

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

This sounds like your problem, but the year models stated aren't right for you? quoted from http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1a/bl550a.htm
ddaniels72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mudder View Post
Well I put in the new ignition switch last night and it didn't fix the problem. I put a new battery on about a month ago so the battery is good. It was fine this morning for about 2 miles. Then hit a small bump in the road and warning lights and gauges went crazy again. Anybody has any other ideas??? This is driving me nuts!!! Maybe something loose/bad connections since it seems to mess up more when I hit bumps??? But don't know where to start searching???
Do you have a lot of keys on there? are you hitting it with your leg?
Unread 12-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
88mudder

No other keys, just the Jeep key. I even started it with the ignition hanging under the dash and wiggled it around nothing changed it was actually working fine at the time.
Unread 12-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
88mudder

Well now I am on to something else. A couple of months ago when the gauges first started acting up was the first time I had ever washed under the hood. Since then it has been inconsisent with the problem. Some days the gauges work fine, some days not. However they usually always work fine on start up and then mess up a mile or so down the road. Last night since nothing else was working I decided to wash under the hood again to see if it made a difference. IT DID!!! At first try after washing it wouldn't start. Turned over a few times, then nothing. Unhooked the battery for a few min and it started. No gauges worked, all warning light on, message center reading transmission over temp. The cooling fans were roaring because it thought the trans was hot.... Apparently something is getting wet.. Weird that it still messed up 2 months after washing it though....would think it would have dried out and been fine if that is the problem.
Unread 12-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
88mudder

Can anybody tell me where the Body Conrol Module "A" is? The computer says it lost communication with body contol module "A". This thing is driving me crazy!!
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
JeepWKWJ0006
2006 WK 

I am interested in this too. My 06 Jeep GC WK Limited has done this 3 times now. It seems to happen at anytime. Twice while I was parked idling at work and then when I left work tonight the gauges all started to flicker off and on for a few seconds and all else was fine. The AC was on full blast and after the flickering stopped it was still on full but it seemed to be less than before.
JeepWKWJ0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
croth
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mudder View Post
Can anybody tell me where the Body Conrol Module "A" is? The computer says it lost communication with body contol module "A". This thing is driving me crazy!!
Body control module is located on the junction block under the drivers side of the dash.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.