Gas Mileage - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Gas Mileage

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-13-2006, 07:13 PM   #31
Dabitz

I just wanted to mention that before the Velocity Tuner, my trucked use a full quarter of a tank from my home to Point Pleasant Beach in NJ. After it, it uses up half a quarter of a tank. I swear by it. I also wanted to clarify that I have no relation to the sellers or get any benefit from it. You can track my purchase on ebay by my username "dabitzcom". Just in case somebody things I am trying to advertise a product. Thanks for the great site. I stop by every day...

Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #32
Dabitz

Do a search on ebay, it costs about 15.00 but to me if installed correctly works. Before I put it on I had an avg of 15.1 since I had bought the truck. I installed and reset the mpg clock and it now measures 17.5 I also have the V6. I wouldn't recommend any of those chips they sell. I did some research and reading and I believe they can indeed damage your car. That is my opinion anyway. But the velocity tuner is a piece of metal you put on the intake tube by the filter that facilitates airflow. Again V6 is a smaller engine, but it has to drag the same truck weight, so smaller engine doesn't equal better MPG in this case. Love my truck, I am installing chrome molds, put some chrome NERF bars, grill, fog lights, etc.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2006, 04:46 AM   #33
fateddy

I did a search on ebay - "velocity tuner" gets you exactly zero matches.

Found them with a google search - $30. I ordered one and I'll let you know what results I get.

Thanks for the information.

Fat Eddy
fateddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 08:50 PM   #34
funplace

Mileage

I have a 5.7L 4WD and have not seen the 14+ miles yet. I am going on a trip to Mexico and will see.

I didnt expect the mileage to be great but this is pretty bad. I am pretty easy on the throttle but can not help myself.

Today i took the advice from one of you to turn on the traction control. I see the pic of it on the dash but it goes away after a while. Does this mean it is turned on again?
funplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #35
Savage223
2007 TJ Wrangler 

I have the V6 also with under 200 miles on it. Everything stock.

I ride 90% of the time with the windows down, creating drag. 10% windows closed and air on.

I filled twice at the same pump. (Not completely empty either time.)

Let the pump run on LOCK at slow when I could hear the tank filling up, let it shut off, and removed the hose without trying to top it off... each time.

The MPG matched within 1/10 of a point of the Information Center's reading.

So I've been watching that critter closely, and challenging myself to try to peak it out.

I can't fathom getting anything better on my usual commute than 17MPG, based on what I've been seeing on the computer. There are some hills here, but each day I go from the same height above sea level, to one within 10 feet, and back home again- so other than the drag uphill reducing MPG more than the ease of the downhill- I really can't imagine the car actually achieving its stated 19MPG.

As a matter of fact, no one here has posted a 19+, with 18.8 being the closest. And you have to drive like Grampy to get anything near 17.5 on a "normal" drive.

PLEASE let me know how the velocity thingie works out; and if you guys have seen any other MPG-for-the-buck mods out there.

I had an aftermarket hitch installed to tow a 16' Blue Fin aluminum V boat, with a small motor and trailer. I'm curious to see what that'll do to it.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself." Marcus Tullius Cicero
Savage223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #36
fateddy

My input thus far testing the "velocity tuner:" (V6 Commander)
I think I drive 8 to 10 miles a day at a "constant" speed of over 40 mph without having to brake for lights or stop signs. Other than that, almost ALL of my driving would be city driving - and waiting a some rather long red lights.
The velocity tuner might work - I "was" getting 12 - 13 before. Now I'm getting more 14 - 15 readings from the on-board computer (people say that the mileage will get better over time, so that might be it as well). I also have installed a K&N High Flow Air Filter. I think they "help" with mileage, but they are not nearly as good as advertised. And, the directions on how to install the velocity tuner (came with the unit) were very hard to understand. I have tried a number of different places and I have turned it around a few different times to see where I get the best performance / gas mileage. I did notice (for real) that the engine seemed to have more power with the velocity tuner and the K&N filter installed. I noticed better response / power before the filter came in as well, so there might be something to the velocity tuner and power. And I like the K&N filter (lifetime filter). They cost around $50 on-line if you add in the cleaning / treatment kit.
Last week I did more open road driving and I did notice that the average mpg was over 15. However, I have never gotten better than 15.5 mpg reading from the onboard computer.
But keep this in mind: I bought my wife a Scion Xb - claims to get 30 city and 34 highway. She has almost 500 miles on it with an average mpg of just over 24 mpg - with her driving being a lot like mine (mostly city). Those window stickers are ALWAYS high. Seems to me that if you turn off your air conditioner, close your windows, slowly build your speed on a FLAT road to 55 mile per hour and stay at that speed for an hour, you "might" see 18 - 20 mpg with your commander (in my opinion).
But - I love my commander. I drive the Xb every now and then, it is nice. Xb was cheaper to buy (about $5,000 less after all the incentives from Jeep and after all the add-ons from Scion). But I like the Commander a LOT better. Better ride, more comfortable.
I'll post more as time goes along. Friends of mine who paid $40,000+ for Chevy or Ford SUV's are getting about the same as me - even less mpg's. And they paid a LOT more for their cars out the door than I did.
All for now
Unread 08-30-2006, 07:55 PM   #37
Savage223
2007 TJ Wrangler 

Assuming you had access to a milling machine and a lathe..

..you think you could build this Velocity Tuner thingie?

Sounds kinda like the "INTEROCITOR" from Mystery Science Theater.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself." Marcus Tullius Cicero
Unread 08-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #38
fateddy

I bought my velocity tuner for $30 (google search - "velocity tuner"). If you go to ebay motors, I think they are available for $15. It would probably cost you that much to make one (if you factor in your time). And the one I bought was a little "big." When you install it, it "expands" into place (if that makes any sense). That way it doesn't tumble or move around when you drive (clever design I guess).
They are made of cheap mteal / tin - if you wanted, you could probably make one with tin snips. But to me, it was too easy to pay $30 and wait 3 days for it to come in the mail.
Unread 08-31-2006, 06:40 AM   #39
Savage223
2007 TJ Wrangler 

Ah now I see. You're probably correct about it; it'd be much easier to buy in this case.
Unread 08-31-2006, 08:58 AM   #40
HawkeyeWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmoose
I am getting 11-12 MPG and I drive 90% city & 10% highway....very disappointed....
So then you must really be on the throttle, or have lots of in town driving w/frequent stop lights, and or hilly streets. Don't feel too bad though...even if you reached the 15mpg area that's not like a jump to hybrid status.

2002 WJ 4.7 Limited
Onyx Green Pearl
HawkeyeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #41
goose1

since JF has decided to group the WK with the XK i will put my $.02 in. i have a WK 4.7 QTII. at this time i do mostly city driving and am constantly at the 15 mpg marker.

the one or two times i have taken it on the highway to my folks i filled up the tank completely. i then drove approximately 120 miles round trip. only highway driving. i only used a 1/4 tank of gas (5 gallons roughly). that averages out to 24 mpg for highway driving. pretty good. my EVIC went up to 18 mpg average i was so happy. then spent the next week driving in the city so i'm back down to 15 mpg. sucks.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #42
LordGriNz

I am about 14.5 mpg and I drive almost completely city....
LordGriNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #43
marcuscl

We've only had our 2005 GCL 4.7L for a week, haven't really gotten any good MPG readings. But I know that with the 3.73:1 rear axle, there's a pretty good chance it will get a bit worse mileage than our 2005 Durango SLT 4.7L, even though the Durango is heavier and larger.

The Durango, with it's 3.55:1 rear axle, actually got 22.7mpg on one leg of a 400-mile trip, and 21.8mpg on the second leg, cruising on Florida highways in early August at 74-75mph. We were very pleased. We'll take the Jeep on the same trip and we'll see how it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1
the one or two times i have taken it on the highway to my folks i filled up the tank completely. i then drove approximately 120 miles round trip. only highway driving. i only used a 1/4 tank of gas (5 gallons roughly). that averages out to 24 mpg for highway driving. pretty good. my EVIC went up to 18 mpg average i was so happy. then spent the next week driving in the city so i'm back down to 15 mpg. sucks.
Eyeballing the gauge and judging that you used a quarter-tank will get you a MPG estimate that's way off the mark. It'd make anyone feel great thinking you're getting 5 MPG higher than EPA highway rating, but it's more likely that the guesstimate was wrong.

Next time you might want to actually fill up before you get on the highway and reset your EVIC and then drive the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeWJ
So then you must really be on the throttle, or have lots of in town driving w/frequent stop lights, and or hilly streets. Don't feel too bad though...even if you reached the 15mpg area that's not like a jump to hybrid status.
Idling chops your MPG down badly. The engine gets poor fuel economy when it's not warmed up, too, so lots of short trips that allow the engine to cool down significantly will cut the MPG down. Intensive stop-and-go driving is also pretty rough on gas mileage.

Last edited by marcuscl; 09-14-2006 at 12:27 PM..
marcuscl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2006, 06:38 AM   #44
jim2527

22.5 mpg with the six-er on the highway and 17-18 in the city on 87 octane. Sure as heck beats the 17 highway and 14 city on 89 octane with my '97.
jim2527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #45
Mugenlude

2006 GC Limited w/ 5.7L Hemi... 10k on the odometer

We get about 14mpg around town being gentle on the loud pedal. I'm averaging 12 mpg on the highway while towing a 4,000 lbs (open trailer with car).
Mugenlude is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.