Gas Mileage - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Gas Mileage

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-22-2006, 10:21 PM   #16
phantom345

just got back from a 500 mile trip used 92 octane, cruise on 71, traction control off and got 18.8. I think with the commander being all weel drive if you turn the traction control off when not needed you will find better MPG. This was from South columbus to cleveland and back, and it had some nice size hills in it, i think if i were to have flat land we could've been high 19 or low 20. Not to bad just gives me something else to work on, i think the viper fan will be next that helped my truck gain 2 1/2 mpg.

phantom345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #17
phantom345

needed to add my signature
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR="SlateGray"][B]2004 Dodge Ram QC - Graphite Grey Mettalic 5.7 4x4 Lone Star Edition, Ranchhand rear bumper, Bed cover, CAI, Gibson SportTruck CatBack, Painted fender flares, Wheel to Wheel Stepbar, 285/70/17 Laramie tires, Skyjacker 2" aal,twist a lift, Pro comp es9000 shocks, Superchips, TB spacer,Doug thorley headers, Viper fan, shorty wires[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]future mods[/B]
Cam(not sure which one yet), 4.10 Gears, line-x, deep trans pan
Unread 07-23-2006, 08:35 AM   #18
greggblue
1998 ZJ 

On a recent 300 mile jaunt, I was averaging 16.4 w/my 5.7... I was averaging about 70 MPH trying to keep RPM right at 2000...

On the way back, I'll try the trick of turning off traction control and see if I can improve...
Unread 07-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #19
Kemp

I'm trying to decide between the 4.7 and 5.7 Hemi. Dealer tells me I can get well over 20 mpg on the 5.7 because of it operating on 4 cylinders. Even 25 mpg is possible. From the posts on this thread sounds like b.s.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:20 PM   #20
phantom345

it is total marketing bs, without MDS we would be getting around 14mpg, there are many things you can do to get higher mpg, my 04 hemi ram gets around 18 with much larger tires, they have the engines tuned and have them running so hot to cut down on emissions that it is robbing the mpg. once you open it up and get rid of some of the emissions crap you will probably be seeing 20 mpg. I am also on a forum for the ram and you will be suprised how many people did not realize that the owners manual recommends 89 octane which is ussally midgrade, if you run 89 octane and get a new intake you can easily be in the 17mpg range.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR="SlateGray"][B]2004 Dodge Ram QC - Graphite Grey Mettalic 5.7 4x4 Lone Star Edition, Ranchhand rear bumper, Bed cover, CAI, Gibson SportTruck CatBack, Painted fender flares, Wheel to Wheel Stepbar, 285/70/17 Laramie tires, Skyjacker 2" aal,twist a lift, Pro comp es9000 shocks, Superchips, TB spacer,Doug thorley headers, Viper fan, shorty wires[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]future mods[/B]
Unread 07-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #21
gwayms

Gas Mileage

I am on the fence about purchasing a Commander limited 5.7, 4x2. They are giving us about 10,000 of the price but i dont want to have a car i cant afford to drive. When gas hits $5 a gallon.
Are there anything you can do to help improve the mileage?
Besides get a different car or the 6 cylinder.
gwayms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #22
phantom345

I'm not sure a 6 banger will get you better gas mileage becasue the commander is very heavy, several things you can do to increase mileage is get rid of the stock air intake and go aftermarket, a throttle body spacer and a less restrictive exhaust. These are just a few things and there are several others, but if you are worired about gas mileage a hemi should not be your sights as the best you will see is around 21 mpg on the freeway and to get that you will have close to $800-1000 in mods, and will take awhile to auctually pay for themselves (years not months)
[B]future mods[/B]
Unread 07-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #23
bullaculla

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwayms
I am on the fence about purchasing a Commander limited 5.7, 4x2. They are giving us about 10,000 of the price but i dont want to have a car i cant afford to drive. When gas hits $5 a gallon.
Are there anything you can do to help improve the mileage?
Besides get a different car or the 6 cylinder.
Is the hemi available in 2wd?
Unread 07-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #24
gwayms

Gas Mileage

Yeah, the one I am looking at is 2wd.
gwayms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #25
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
If you care about gas milage don't get any Jeep... particularly not the biggest one!

IF YOU CAN AFFORD a commander then fuel mileage shouldnt be a concern

everything below has a hyperlink to the install/review
Rubicon Express Long Arm
D30 Alloy axle shafts with Alloy U joints
D30 Powertrax no slip locker
Skid row skids engine- gas tank - radiator- steering box
Expidition one trail series rear bumper and carrier
Edge Trail jammer install/review
Bestop Trailmax Aqua seat
Bestop Super top

Before you ask about a product in the Technical forums check out the product review section!
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #26
greggblue
1998 ZJ 

I just came back from a jaunt to the Outer Banks (about 350 mi each way)... I tried several things:

1. Turned traction control off
2. Used 93 Octane Gasoline
3. Kept RPMs below 2000

I was getting about 18.4 mi per gallon in this configuration... At least while I was moving :-)... I think the secret is keeping RPMs below 2000, which equates to about 63-65 MPH.

Gregg
Unread 08-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #27
silvercityjeep

2000 Mile Trip

Howdy All,

Just thought I would throw this in. We just completed a 2300 mile trip from Silver City, NM to South Padre Island, TX and back in our Commander. Gas milage broke out about like this:

TX roads traveling at night speed limit is 65 mph, kept it at 68 mph for about 500 miles and got 21.2 MPG

TX road traveling during daylight on return trip, speed limit is 80 mph and kept it at 80 for the 500 miles and got 17.6 MPG

Overall, I spent $353.00 in fuel, 117 gallons of fuel, average $3.00 gallon, Lowest paid was 2.79 and highest was 3.19. Figure somewhere in the 19 mpg range for the whole trip.

Commander now has a little over 10,000 miles on it, have the 4.7 V8. We loved it for the trip, it was comfortable, fit the five of us very well. With the exception of having to replace the left front tire to the tune of $198.00 due to a rapid deflation after running over something at 70 mph, it performed flawlessly.

Note, when tire deflated, the Commander never swerved, or lost control in anyway, this was not a blowout, but a very fast deflation. I was impressed with how the Commander and the tire held out.

Last note, didn't buy it for the gas milage, just kept track for fun, we love our Commander
silvercityjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #28
Dabitz

Don't get fooled by the 6V. I have one and it is giving me about 15.1 city and 19.1 hwy for an avg of 17.1. This is with a velocity tuner installed on the air intake tube. I am planning on changing the exhaust pipes but need do some more research. Any suggestions are very welcome.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #29
wccf91

I dont know how you guys are doing it I have a 4x4 limmited 5.7 and im getting 12.5 miles per gallon.. I live in Los Angeles lots of traffic my have something to do with it.
wccf91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #30
fateddy

I also live in the L.A. area. I get between 11-14 mpg depending on how many red lights I hit. I'm interested in this velocity tuner (where do you get one?). I also have heard that the bigger exhaust pipes make for better performance. I only drive 10 miles to work and back, so gas mileage is not my #1 concern.
But I love this Commander: Blue Steel color, V6 has plenty of power for me, nice ride, very comfortable. I want to take my family on a vacation in this vehicle, so better mpg's would be nice.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Fat Eddy
fateddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.