Gas Mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Gas Mileage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-27-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
dekebell

Gas Mileage

What mileage are you guys getting out there? The window sticker never seems to be right. I am interested in real world mileage here. We are looking to buy in the next few weeks. Thanks in advance.

Deke

dekebell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
SYCOHEMI

Which engines are you considering?

The EPA stickers aren't accurate for any vehicles, so it's good that you are asking.

I just swapped to larger tires, and I was born with a lead foot, so my numbers won't help, but I'm sure others can.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2006, 06:55 AM   #3
ks03rubicon

We're getting 15-16 mpg with about 2,000 miles on the engine. That's a combination of city and highway driving with the 4.7L engine. We're hoping the mileage will go up a little as the motor gets a few more miles on it.
ks03rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
nafzimo

With 4000 miles, our 5.7L is getting about 14 mpg. I have not had it on the interstate yet. We live 20 miles from anywhere, so we mostly drive back roads with some in town miles.
Unread 05-24-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
01cherokeeBFGAT

gas mileage

never mind
01cherokeeBFGAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
LaurXK

I was thrilled to see my gas mileage go up from a scary 11mpg at 800 miles to 16+ at 3300. I hope it will go even higher, of course, but am happy with this, since my Liberty was getting only 18.5-19mpg at 17500 miles before I traded it.

I have the 4.71 liter, and drive equal parts city and highway.
LaurXK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2006, 01:48 AM   #7
rjmoose

I am getting 11-12 MPG and I drive 90% city & 10% highway....very disappointed....
rjmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
Chipster009

I did a Palm Springs - Orange county turnaround last Sunday ....

Logged in 280 miles on 18.5 gallons of 89 octane. That comes out to 15.14 miles per gallon.

Avg speed = 70mph with some 80mph jaunts on the I-10 at the windmills.

Funny thing is... the fuel indicator was below the `E` when I filled up with 18.5 gallons. I guess there's a gratuitous reserve programmed in the fuel sensor circuit.

BTW... Odometer reads 6,800 miles now. Bought the Commander in March this year.
Unread 05-31-2006, 02:51 AM   #9
cmd peej

I'm getting around 16.5 MPG lifetime on 2000 miles with perhaps 30% highway miles. My engine is the 4.7 L.

Saw an article in the paper a few days ago that claimed for every 5 MPH over 60 MPH, the decrease in gas mileage is equal to paying 20 cents more per gallon. This was figured at a base price of $2.80 per gallon.

We drive all over town looking for gas for a few cents less per gallon and then artificially boost the price by 40 cents per gallon when we tool down the freeway at 70 MPH. Most trips that involve 70 MPH or greater speeds only save a few minutes overall. Makes one wonder.

The most amazing thing in my neighborhood is to see the cars lined up to get gas at Costco. Sometimes it looks like a replay of the gas lines in 1973. And just down the street, Arco either matches Costco's price or is maybe 2 cents higher (with immediate access to a pump.) These Costco buyers probably will have to drive 90 MPH just to catch up with me cruising at 60 MPH.
cmd peej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #10
nafzimo

With about 7,000 mi on the odometer, we finally took the Commander on a 750 mile road trip. We headed north to Lansing and split the trip up so that we were able to log a couple hundred miles on each type of road. At the start of each couple hundred mile stretch, I reset the mileage average on the trip computer.

- On a two lane state route at 60 mph, slowing down for each small town's speed zone, we averaged 17.5 mpg.

- On the interstate highway in Michigan, at 75 mph we averaged 17.2.

- On the interstate highway in Indiana\Illinois at 70 mph we averaged 18.2.
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #11
Lizmara
2006 XK Commander 

gas

I have the 4.7L with a mere 700 miles and according to my odometer, I'm averaging 14mpg driving around in the suburbs.

I got my very first speeding ticket yesterday. I was enjoying the manual shift option and didn't even realize I was going 63 in a 45.
Lizmara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 11:00 PM   #12
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

If you care about gas milage don't get any Jeep... particularly not the biggest one!
Unread 07-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
bisjoe
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekebell
What mileage are you guys getting out there? The window sticker never seems to be right. I am interested in real world mileage here. We are looking to buy in the next few weeks. Thanks in advance.

Deke
I'd like that info too, also if anyone has the 4.7 V8 version how is it going up hills and merging on the freeway? 25 more HP than the 3.7 V6 and rated only 1 mpg lower. Our Liberty is a 3.7, and is fine, but seems like with all that extra weight the V6 would be pretty weak on a Commander. Sure, I'd love a Hemi, but gas is still over $3.
Unread 07-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #14
bisjoe
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd peej
The most amazing thing in my neighborhood is to see the cars lined up to get gas at Costco. Sometimes it looks like a replay of the gas lines in 1973. And just down the street, Arco either matches Costco's price or is maybe 2 cents higher (with immediate access to a pump.) These Costco buyers probably will have to drive 90 MPH just to catch up with me cruising at 60 MPH.
You're not in Issaquah, are you? Sounds familiar. Here in Bellevue the people line up for Safeway gas, not only is AM/PM the same but 3 blocks away there is what I like to call my "secret Chevron" that is only 3 cents above Safeway. And it's better gas. I do admit to filling up whenever I'm in Renton at Sam's Club though, cheaper than Costco and no lines ever.
Unread 07-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #15
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

4.7 liter with a little over 7,500 miles on it.

Took trip the UP in Mighigan. 500.0 miles= 17.0 mpg at an average speed of 62.7 mph.

The 4.7 had plenty of power when asked. I ran an average speed of @78 mph in the lower half of MI. The roads in the UP have much lower limits, and while I had almost zero chance of seeing a cop, I like to enjoy that part of the state. I saw a wolf, 3 deer sorry.....rambling.....anyway I had 4 occupants and was loaded decently so I'll take it.

Let me add that I have made this trip in a 92xj,98xj, and a 98 malibu.....the commmander was the best by far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.