Gas Filler Neck Flap / Flapper Missing 06WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Gas Filler Neck Flap / Flapper Missing 06WK

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 01-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Marc4885
2006 WK 

Gas Filler Neck Flap / Flapper Missing 06WK

I have a 2006 WK.

I filled up my gas tank without issue yesterday before going on a small day trip today of about 150 miles. Before hitting the road to return home I went to fill up on gas but couldn't pump gas for more than about 3 seconds before the pump would click off as if my tank was full. I looked into my filler neck and saw that the small metal flapper is gone. (It was there as of the other day) I can no see pretty far down the filler neck because the small flapper door fell off and I assume went down the filler neck. (Where else could it have gone?)

I was able to fill the tank at a painfully slow pace by just slightly pulling the nozzle on the gas pump at the station.

Has anybody had this problem? What would be preventing me from filling the tank even if the flapper fell down the filler neck? Am I risking doing anymore damage? How do I fix it or how much will it cost to get it fixed?

I drove about 120 miles after realizing the issue, and the Jeep ran fine. The check engine light DID NOT come on or anything.

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

Marc4885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
gamma500
2005 WK 

Yikes..the slow fill sure seems to suggest you have a blockage in the proximal fill tube. I suppose you need to try and fish it out but not sure how just a hooked wire would do it. What if you got a length of vacuum hose and connect a small balloon to the end with a couple snug small zip ties and tried to thread it down past the obstruction, then inflate a bit and pull up to remove. I'd probably grease the balloon a bit to let it slide better and give a test inflate to see get an idea of how much air you need to get it the right diameter. The flapper piece must have been wedged pretty good for the flow of gas not to flush it down into the tank where I suppose it wouldn't cause too much of a problem since the in tank pump has a filter screen around the bottom and sits off the tank by about 1".
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
CaribouLouWJ
2007 WK 

LOL ours just did this to me today, took 20 minutes to fill the bastard up......nice warm welcome back to Jeep
2001.5 B5S4 500awhp gutted track car
2002 WJ Limited
4.7 HO, 6.5" LA, 37's, JK 44's SOLD
CaribouLouWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
JackB1
2008 WK 

I have an 08 and mine went missing as well but has caused no problems yet. Some of these problems on Jeeps defy imagination. Can you imagine this happening on older vehicles or door handle holders breaking?
JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
tom19511
2006 WK 

anyone try to drop a magnet down there to get it?
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
gamma500
2005 WK 

Pretty sure magnet would be sticking to the metal areas and not dropping down freely....
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
06Grand
2006 WK 

This happened on my jeep when I was in the process of diagnosing another problem. I believe there is another sort of flap valve down near the tank, it can be tighten and loosened as my mechanic tightened it trying to diagnose. I had the same symptom took it back to him and he freed it in 2 mins. I don't know what its called or where to access it exactly but its worth looking into. Sorry for the vague description tho
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
airbag22

I am having the same issue on my 07 WK. holding the pump trigger manually doesn't help either. Hasn't been TOO bad until lately. Has anyone actually fixed the issue without going to a mechanic? I'm mechanically inclined but will pay to avoid a weekend PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
airbag22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

I don't have a flapper. But there is a TSB for hard to fill.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_1400109a.pdf
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
airbag22

Thank you. I will look in to this!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
airbag22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.