Gas cans - best way to carry? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
GeoffPeterson
2000 WJ 

Gas cans - best way to carry?

I've got a 2006 WK Overland with 5.7 Hemi.

I'm headed out next week from SoCal to Denver then back through UT to Northern NV and back down to SoCal. I'll be crossing NV on highway 50 (Known as "The World's Loneliest Highway").

If I keep my speed down around 70 I can get about 300 to 325 miles from a tank. This can be an issue in parts of UT and NV where gas stations can be very far apart. I have to constantly keep an eye on the gas gauge and the distance to empty reading and try to fill up when I get to about a half tank.

This is kind of a pain in the butt, having to stop so often! I looked into an auxiliary fuel tank a while ago and found a guy that made them but hasn't in some time. The tank went where the spare tire goes so I'd have to relocate the spare which becomes another pain.

I'm thinking the easiest thing to do is just carry a couple gas cans in case I get in trouble. I guess the Rotopax is latest and greatest? Do now I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry them. Obviously, don't want them inside the Jeep but currently have no way to secure them to the outside. The Jeep is basically stock with no lift and stock bumpers. I thought about putting them on the roof maybe strapping to the roof rack? Also though about getting one of those tray deals that slides into the receiver hitch.

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-13-2017, 08:22 AM
wave_crusher
2006 WK 

The easiest thing to do (and cheapest since a jerry can holder is going to be some big bucks cause it's usually an add on for an aftermarket bumper) is to just use a reciever hitch cargo rack, like you mentioned. Just strap down a couple cans and you can even lock them with a bike lock or something if you so desire.

If you keep and eye at Harbor Freight you can get the ones they have for about $40.

06 4.7L QT-II, RC 2", 255/70-17 Revo2, 1.5 spacers, SC Tuner, coilover shocks
Blk WK member #174
post #3 of 10 Old 03-13-2017, 11:20 AM
DuncsJeeps

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
You could look at something like this...

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/product-category/jeep/

easy to remove when you don't need it, easy to use when you're going long travels. It's on my list for my WK2.

2017 WK2 Trailhawk - 3.6L: Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: OME HD, RRO UCA, T/A KO2, Rack w/LED, Custom storage drawers, Winch, Front and Rear Bumpers - In Progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Sold

- RRO Sliders, 27 MPG: Sold

|

post #4 of 10 Old 03-13-2017, 12:27 PM
wave_crusher
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncsJeeps View Post
You could look at something like this...

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/product-category/jeep/

easy to remove when you don't need it, easy to use when you're going long travels. It's on my list for my WK2.
That seems sturdily expensive for something that would be accomplished with a full bumper and more effective. Same price too.

06 4.7L QT-II, RC 2", 255/70-17 Revo2, 1.5 spacers, SC Tuner, coilover shocks
Blk WK member #174
post #5 of 10 Old 03-13-2017, 03:04 PM
DuncsJeeps

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_crusher View Post
That seems sturdily expensive for something that would be accomplished with a full bumper and more effective. Same price too.
Unless you don't want to replace the bumpers, or modify your Jeep in any significant way.

My WK2 only does 1 or 2 long trips a year. The other probably... 20k miles will be spent being used as a normal car that will likely get replaced in 2-3 years.

Upgrades that can easily be moved from vehicle to vehicle or, just removed when not in use are great.

I would be able to use the same type of system on my little expedition trailer, as well.

You can probably find a fab shop that could build one if you looked around.

I was using it as an example of something that could be done.

2017 WK2 Trailhawk - 3.6L: Daily Driver

: OME HD, RRO UCA, T/A KO2, Rack w/LED, Custom storage drawers, Winch, Front and Rear Bumpers - In Progress

: Sold

- RRO Sliders, 27 MPG: Sold

|
post #6 of 10 Old 03-19-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
GeoffPeterson
2000 WJ 

OK, I'm in the middle of my road trip. Not sure how many miles I have rolled so far. I keep every gas receipt and write down the miles but they are all still in the envelope in the Jeep. Left SoCal and went to Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Grand Junction to Riffle, up 13 to Craig, then 40 through Steamboat, Winter park and then to Arvada. Taking a side trip to Estes Park are tomorrow (looking at a house) then back to Arvada and then on to northern NV.

So far, I've been keeping the cruise set at 70 to 75 and have seen as high as 375 miles range which is the highest I've ever seen it. May be keeping speeds down slightly. I also had the 55 gallon drum they use for a stock muffler removed and replaced with a Magnaflo right before I left.

So, I guess the fuel range is really no longer as much of a concern now. I'm seeing 350 miles as an average range when full so that is fine.

Really liking the Magnaflo too. I thought it might be slightly loud when first installed but not now. No drone and very quiet when coasting and a nice mellow sound under acceleration.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-08-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
GeoffPeterson
2000 WJ 

Just a quick update. I rolled 3500 miles on this trip and saw as high as 20 MPG on one leg. Averaged 18 MPG which is much better than before when I was getting around 16. On one fill up the distance to empty read 417 miles!
post #8 of 10 Old 04-09-2017, 11:22 AM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffPeterson View Post
Just a quick update. I rolled 3500 miles on this trip and saw as high as 20 MPG on one leg. Averaged 18 MPG which is much better than before when I was getting around 16. On one fill up the distance to empty read 417 miles!
Thanks for the update. MDS really does help on the highway. Like i said it's been a few years since i made that trip. What was the farthest you saw between gas stops?
post #9 of 10 Old 05-23-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
GeoffPeterson
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavallinoRed View Post
Thanks for the update. MDS really does help on the highway. Like i said it's been a few years since i made that trip. What was the farthest you saw between gas stops?
Sorry for the delayed response. Been busy selling my house and moving.

I don't recall the farthest I went between fill ups. I try to fill up when I get down to about a half tank. Don't like to push it too far so just stop when I can.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-23-2017, 03:49 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffPeterson View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. Been busy selling my house and moving.

I don't recall the farthest I went between fill ups. I try to fill up when I get down to about a half tank. Don't like to push it too far so just stop when I can.
Drive sure is nothing like the challenge it use to be. Glad you had a safe trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.