Furious with dealership - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Furious with dealership

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 06-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
wklimihemi
2005 WK 

Furious with dealership

Just feel like I need to rant a little. Why is it that dealerships think they can take your vehicle in for service, do nothing (or the wrong thing), charge you, and think that you'll be satisfied?

Took the Jeep in for the following issues:
1> Engine taking a long time to crank (5-6 seconds)
2> Shuddering from drivetrain between 45-65 (no it's not the wheels or tires)
3> Several driveline components leaking

What the dealership claims to have performed:
1> Replaced battery - claimed old one was dead (but vehicle still started)
2> Fixed rear pinion seal (under warranty)
3> Replaced transmission lines, flushed & refilled transmission
4> Serviced 4x4 components (30k service)
5> Performed oil change

Total was $892.05 And for what? - Nothing!!

Since picking the vehicle up, the same three ailments are still present.
I can hear a liquid dripping onto a hot surface and making a spssst sound underneath. So, I called the service dept. this morning to schedule maintenance again. I advised them that I would be present the whole time the vehicle is in for service. Also threatened to call BBB. I just don't think they did a darn thing while it was in the shop last time.

This will be the last time my wife's Jeep goes to a dealership outside of major warrantee issues. My local mechanic does a much better job and is honest to boot! I don't care if Chrysler is in bankruptcy or if this dealership gets it's franchise rights stripped away. Not like its a new trick, but any business that scams its customers to make a buck deserves to get a swift kick in the pants.

Ranting complete...

-R

'05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L HEMI 4x4
'07 Camry CE
'02 Buick Century Custom
'00 K-Z Sportsmen 2505 TT
wklimihemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
BlueSteelJP
2005 WK 

Shuddering is very common and although annoying, will not harm you vehicle-it's the way it was engineered. All the leaks should heve been fixed right the first time. I heard the 30K service can cost anywhere from $400 to $600 alone. These GC are high dollar maintenance vehicles (I know because this is my third limited from 3 different generations) so you'll have to get used to it.
Blue WK Club Member #10

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 Liter Hemi no Mods So Far.
BlueSteelJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Nand12

You can do the 30K service yourself, save a lot of money, and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself (not to mention knowing that you did it right). If you don't feel comfortable doing it or don't think you have the mechanical ability, just know that I am a 20 year old college student (albeit mechanical engineering) and I learned by lots of reading and then trying it. As far as the tranny lines leaking, that's a common issue and since it's still leaking, check the transmission pan gasket (mine was leaking from there) to see if that's the source. Good luck.
Nand12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
suzieque
2008 WK 

it seems that manufacturer's strategy is sell a vehicle that has minimal issues/maintenance in the first 3 years, then if you decide to keep it longer, your wallet is always open! The issue is authorized dealer is charging $70-$100/hr labour and 30% markup on parts.

I have a CRD and I bought the Gold+ extended warranty with the intention of keeping this WK for 5-10 years. Assuming Chrysler is still around to service it, I believe that much of my repairs will be covered. I will supply my own fluids so I'm not a victim of their high markups. Not sure my strategy will work, but its the only way I can think of to avoid the high maintenance charges that my previous 2001 Dodge Durango cost me!
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
BlueSteelJP
2005 WK 

Honestly, doing it yourself is a pain in the but and time consuming on these Jeeps-better to have a professional perform it.
Blue WK Club Member #10

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 Liter Hemi no Mods So Far.
BlueSteelJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
justa4banger
2007 WK 

Does it still leak????

does the spssst sound go away when the A/C is off? i bet that is water dripping on the exhaust...
Changing tranny lines is a labar intesive job, so is the rear end....
the battery being replaced at the dealer... well yea that was pricey for sure, they always are.

Sounds to me like you have your moneys worth in stuff/labor, but possibly your just a wee bit picky about stuff.

take a video of how long it takes to start and post it up for us to see..... while your at it, get a vid of the spsssst sound. I bet it is A/C related.
Unread 06-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

The first thing to realize about a majority of jeep dealerships is that they service the perform is pretty poor and unless whatever you want fixed is as obvious as a completely flat tire, they'll likely not get it right the first time. Heck, maybe not even the first 3 times.

For what you were charged, they should have gotten the warranty fixes done. I understand that the charges were not related to the warranty work, BUT if you took the time to spend your hard earned money there, the LEAST they could have done is taken care of your vehicle like they should have. If the problem is water leaking from the AC on the exhaust, they should have explained and showed you the issue for peace of mind.

The shudder issue sounds really annoying. I don't have a hemi, but i have my own set of issues with the CRD blowby and garbage shifting transmission. These issues are not OK despite being deemed "normal" by some.

I know it is after the fact, but next time you need any services done (warranty wise) and also plan to have services completed out of pocket, ONLY schedule the pay services after they have completed all the other stuff they should under warranty. Kind of like a carrot on a stick.

I have a full set of tools and a nicely setup garage. That being said, when I need anything done, I weigh the cost of doing it myself versus the number of hours spent on the phone with the service advisors and the number of days wasted with my ride at the dealer. Sometimes it is worth the $50 in parts to do it myself and avoid the stress.
Unread 06-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

The only time that I had shuddering was in my 96 xj at about the speeds you mention.
It stopped only after I changed out a bought-new-tire that lost it's tread after 30,000 miles.

As far as I'm concerned, car dealers, like politicians, are ALL liars, cheats and thieves. If you think of them like that, you'll take the necessary precautions and won't be surprised when they screw up and/or cheat you.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
oldmac1
2014 WK 

When I bought my 09 Limited Hemi 3 weeks ago I also purchased a 5 year bumper to bumper extended maintenance warranty exactly for the reason of dealer gouging on repairs. At my previous Chrysler dealership I got into the habit of checking the TSB's and printing them before I went for service. The price for repairs out of warranty is ridiculous and with my luck won't be fixed on the first service call. Expensive security but well worth the peace of mind as these vehicles are getting complex and costly to repair.
15 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #10
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wklimihemi View Post
I can hear a liquid dripping onto a hot surface and making a spssst sound underneath.
That is normal. It is certainly condensation from the A/C on the exhaust. I get the exact same thing on my XK.

I do all of the work myself on both the WJ and the XK.
Unread 06-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
wklimihemi
2005 WK 

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

The Jeep went back to the shop on 6/10/09.
I explained all the issues to the service advisor.
Their lead service tech. took a ride down the road with me.
Then we put it up on the lift and went through the underbody with a fine tooth comb.

To the dealership's credit, they did fix all the leaking issues. It was dry as a bone underneath.
As others have mentioned, the pssst sound was water from the A/C system. (Okay, so I am a little picky)
We've still got the issue with the delayed start - the dealer is going to credit me for the battery they installed last time. And there's the shuddering/vibration issue. I'm supposed to hear back today (6/11) but haven't gotten a call yet.

As far as self service goes, I'm all for it. In the past, I've changed my oil, swapped out transmissions, replaced rear-ends. But that was back when I lived near my mechanically inclined buddy with tools. The worst was actually changing the spark plugs on my old '93 3000gt vr4. That motor was horrible to work on. But these days, I've got a good paying job and work way too much to devote my time to working on vehicles (though I do enjoy it!).

The only reason the Jeep went to the stealership is for the warranty work. In the future it will go to my local mechanic!!

-R

'07 Camry CE
'02 Buick Century Custom
Unread 06-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wklimihemi View Post
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

The Jeep went back to the shop on 6/10/09.
I explained all the issues to the service advisor.
Their lead service tech. took a ride down the road with me.
Then we put it up on the lift and went through the underbody with a fine tooth comb.

To the dealership's credit, they did fix all the leaking issues. It was dry as a bone underneath.
As others have mentioned, the pssst sound was water from the A/C system. (Okay, so I am a little picky)
We've still got the issue with the delayed start - the dealer is going to credit me for the battery they installed last time. And there's the shuddering/vibration issue. I'm supposed to hear back today (6/11) but haven't gotten a call yet.

As far as self service goes, I'm all for it. In the past, I've changed my oil, swapped out transmissions, replaced rear-ends. But that was back when I lived near my mechanically inclined buddy with tools. The worst was actually changing the spark plugs on my old '93 3000gt vr4. That motor was horrible to work on. But these days, I've got a good paying job and work way too much to devote my time to working on vehicles (though I do enjoy it!).

The only reason the Jeep went to the stealership is for the warranty work. In the future it will go to my local mechanic!!

-R
sounds to me like the dealership stepped up to rectify the issues. I think in the end all dealers want you make you a happy customer because they know you can shop around for service and chrysle likely has a lot of dealers on the bubble and may pull their dealership if they don't service properly.
I made a point of shopping around for my new WK, but in the end I chose the local dealership because I knew I would go there for warranty service and I wanted to get to know them and the service manager.
you may want to ask to speak for the lead tech whenever you have warranty work in the future, cut down on talking to the guys that may not fix it right the first time.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteelJP View Post
Honestly, doing it yourself is a pain in the but and time consuming on these Jeeps-better to have a professional perform it.
You must be loaded. No way, I'd spend 900 bucks for a glorified lube job.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
wklimihemi
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci View Post
You must be loaded. No way, I'd spend 900 bucks for a glorified lube job.
Well, not quite "loaded."
They did fix *most* of the items. But they've got to pull it together on these last two (vib & start issues). I expect to be reimbursed for the unnecessary battery. My service advisor was clear on that point before I left the Jeep with him the second time.

I'll let you know when I win the lottery!

'07 Camry CE
'02 Buick Century Custom
Unread 06-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #15
wklimihemi
2005 WK 

Update on the Jeep -

1> Drivetrain vibration:
Dealer has replaced the driveshaft (under warranty). No improvement
noted. Now they are installing a new transfer case (under warranty). If
this keeps up, I'll end up with a whole new drivetrain!

2> Delayed start:
Dealer has made no progress. If they can't solve this problem, I plan to
drive it until it won't start anymore. It's obviously not a battery issue and
I don't have the luxury of letting them troubleshoot a problem for weeks on
end.

-R

'07 Camry CE
'02 Buick Century Custom

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.