Funky head light problem... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Funky head light problem...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 04-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
talkboxier
2006 WK 

Funky head light problem...

I have had this headlight problem for a couple weeks now and its driving me crazy. Let me try and describe some of the symptoms I am having.

My right head light seems to flicker on and off while driving my car. Sometimes it stays on and sometimes its just stays off. When it goes off, the whole light assembly stops working. I don't have the side makers, turn signal, or highs. everything is out.

A couple other scenarios are: the headlight comes on but the blinker doesn't work, when I unlock my doors only the side marker and turn signal comes on, or the whole assembly comes on but it is really dim....

So I thought it was a connectivity issue or a fuse. Tried pulling fuses to see if any lights came off, got nothing. Don't know if I was looking in the right places. Went to check the voltage supply to the lights with my multimeter. So I put the ground probe to the ground on the headlight connector, and the positive to the positive, but nothing. So I tried to put the ground probe on the engine, and got 12 volts from the positive. So I thought that was strange. So then, for some reason, I put the positive probe on the ground on the light connector, and IT ALSO WAS 12 VOLTS!!! is this normal?

Has anyone got any advice for this problem?

This is for a 2006 WK Grand Cherokee Laredo

talkboxier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

maybe its the whole light wand that comes off the steering column?
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
talkboxier
2006 WK 

Ok, so I messed around with some wires and some fuses, still got nothing. The only thing that seemed to make the assembly light up again is by pounding on the side marker light. Any ideas?
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
kllshadow
2006 WK 

sounds like a wiring problem or bad bulb ballast
06 WK Limited--5.7 Hemi--QDI--Ebay Catch can--RC 2" lift--265/70/17 Cooper STT--Expanded Sheet Grill--Magnaflow muffler--Volant CAI--1.5" Spidertrax--Monroe LLs--4x Guard Front Skid--Superchips Tuned--
kllshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
talkboxier
2006 WK 

Well just took the light assembly apart. checked all the wiring on the assembly itself. everything checks out fine. Now I am thinking it might be the light switch... but where could I find the light ballast?
Unread 04-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #6
talkboxier
2006 WK 

Quick update, found out what the problem was. It was a bad ground. All cleared up now.
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
cwinse

bad ground?

i have almost the same problem except mine is passenger side and headlights are out all the time, tho the park light does come on once in a while. did some quick checking online and thought it was the front control module as it controls both power and ground, but that stupid thing is $484 from my local dealer. where did you find this "bad" ground located within the vehicle?
cwinse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 , cherokee , grand , laredo , light

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.