Fumoto brass quick drain oil valve install. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-18-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Fumoto brass quick drain oil valve install.

Decided to put the Fumoto drain on that I got 3000 miles ago. It installs with a 3/8 Allen wrench.
Also drained my Mishimoto catch can.
All of that would have went right back into the motor.

Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20170318_143307.jpg   ForumRunner_20170318_143316.jpg   ForumRunner_20170318_143326.jpg   ForumRunner_20170318_143335.jpg   ForumRunner_20170318_143349.jpg  

ForumRunner_20170318_143409.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-18-2017, 05:53 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

What!! No "mayonaise" (condensation mixed with oil) in the catch can? I'd think where you are that you'd at least get some in the winter time. Good to see you installed the Fumoto. You'll be much happier (and cleaner) when doing oil changes now.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, TruFlow Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, Transgo Shift Kit, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-18-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yeah I'm excited about that.
Just yoo hoo, no mayo. I put seafoam in the oil prior to the change so it may have had an impact on the consistency.
I seafoamed the intake and fuel and after the intake I could feel a noticeable difference.
I also fogged out a pt cruiser. Oops.
That Fumoto is a really nicely engineered piece.
Thanks again for the heads up on it.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 03:56 AM
MuloChico
2006 WK 

I have those valves on all my vehicles. Man they are great!!!!!! Make it so much better when doing oil changes.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 02:07 PM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

The Fumoto makes it really clean to change the oil on my CRD. Otherwise, the oil aims straight backwards and makes a mess.

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
200,000+ miles!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Double dittos on the Fumoto!! It drains a little slower than just pulling the plug but it is SO worth it. No more mess!

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
What!! No "mayonaise" (condensation mixed with oil) in the catch can? I'd think where you are that you'd at least get some in the winter time. Good to see you installed the Fumoto. You'll be much happier (and cleaner) when doing oil changes now.
90grandoneer: It's not mayonnaise; it's latte (v-e-r-y sophisticated WK GC crowd here). I get it in the winter when the Heep is outside. The engine gets up to operating temp and then sits outside in sub-freezing weather for a long period. Condensation forms in the crankcase as the crankcase atmosphere cools and relative humidity goes up. [...I'm supposed to understand this Thermodynamic stuff since I teach it...]

PolkaPower: I added a short length of clear plastic drain tubing to the outlet (about 10" long with a plastic cap at the outlet end). I can put the tube into a milk jug, open the valve, and direct the oil flow directly without spilling any. Close the valve and change jugs. Can also see after the second jug, when the flow stops and the sludge finishes running out. Tube stores up on the engine splash pan. Plastic cap keeps road dirt from clogging the end.

Also, I installed a spring clip over the Fumoto valve operating handle (see the Fumoto website in the offroad vehicle section) to double protect it from opening. I know it's anal, but it only takes 1 visit by Mr. Murphy to really spoil your day. IIRC, it is the same size spring clip as for the clear plastic tubing attachment to the outlet end of the Fumoto. Take your Fumoto to Lowe's, Home Depot, or Ace Hardware to match up the tubing and the clips.

90grandoneer got me onto this. Happy he did. I also use the K&N Oil Filter with the 1" hex end to speed up the oil filter change process.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-23-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It's great. I wish I had one 20 years ago. Mine came with a tube, cap, and valve handle clip. They all don't?
post #9 of 9 Old 05-23-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If I remember correctly, I think I paid a little extra for the tube.

I just installed a B&M transmission cooler yesterday on the return line.
It's got a built in valve that only allows hot fluid through so it warms up in cold weather.
My torque program showed my transmission temps at 216 f while driving slow off road on a hot day.
Still within specs but the cooler the better.
I'm not sure of the accuracy of the torque reading but at least it gives a reference point.
I'm not sure where it's taking the reading from.
Not the pan which isn't a good indicator of what's happening inside, and not the hot line after the torque converter which it the hottest the fluid gets.
I might have to put a sender there to see incase the fluid starts to cook.
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20170523_142019.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.