Fuel Economy DROP after Fuel Filter Change?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Fuel Economy DROP after Fuel Filter Change??

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Fuel Economy DROP after Fuel Filter Change??

Hi all. My 08 WK CRD was in the shop last week for a CEL issue. Tech ended up replacing a glow plug and the fuel filter (just hit 150k Kms btw). The GC drives great but the mkleage meter in the dash is reporting a significant drop in fuel economy. Pre filter cange I was averaging 11.2l/100km. Now it's reading 14.1l/100km(!). I thougt a new fuel filter was supposed to improve fuel efficiency....

Any idea what's going on here? I haven't put many km on the vehicle since the filter change. Does the computer need a break-in period??

Thanks in advance.

Unread 03-31-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

You can see a slight drop in fuel economy when changing a fuel filter if it hasn't been changed in a really long time ~ 1l/100km or so. The lack of flow can help you get better economy because your cutting off the engine for fuel and not even realize it. Using just the necessary amount to maintain performance. Its such a gradual process that you would never even know it's happening except once you change the filter its such a shock to the system so to speak. I would say that is quite a drop so there should something else wrong. Do you reset the dash gauge every fill up, has your route changed, driving style? All those can play a factor into your mileage once you changed the filter. No break in when changing the filter.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
furiousbudy
2008 WK 

Remove your plastic cover, and check your fuel lines on top of the filter, might be leaking. I dont thrust any dealer when its time to work on those merc engines
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Thanks guys. I checked the filter- the top is dry and clean, so no leaks as far as I know. I DID get bent pver the hood on the filter install, which will NOT be happening at the dealer again($118 for a fuel filter PLUS install??), but that's likely another thread!

I did reset the counter after the filter change - the first time I've done that since buying in Sept - so that's likely got something to do with the number jump. It's come down a bit since - reading 13.1 at the mo' after limited city driving. I think it may just need a good highway run to settle down to where I think it ought to be. Fingers crossed - with the current price of diesel in my part of Ontario, I'd really like lower consumption numbers, especially as I set up to tow my first travel trailer this summer.
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
pawwright

Don't feel bad about the dealer charge for the fuel filter - last time I was in there they tried to change my fuel filter for $160USD..........luckily I had already priced out the filter thanks to this board.....
pawwright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #6
omsok
2007 WK 

Hi:

Just a quick reply to say I have not noticed any drop in fuel consumption after changing fuel filter on my 2007 WK. I am actually going to post a full pictorial since I have yet to see one explaining in detail.

Also the issue of finding the exact part number and not spending any extra dollars than necessary. I ended up tracking the correct filter from Mercedes by using the Mopar Part# 05175429AB ($98 at Chrysler Dealership)The corresponding Mercedes part number (Made in Austria) is A 642 092 01 01 $65 Merc. Dealership.

Note: That is the current (Canada) part number on the box. The part number I asked him for was 642 092 07 01. He said that Part # had been discontinued; however when we opened the box A 642 092 01 01 the filter inside was clearly marked A 642 092 07 01. He said Mercedes is renowned for this. Numerous part numbers, constantly changing etc.
mercedes-diesel-filter-part-.jpg

omsok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
TangoTango
2008 WK 

puralator has one also.. it's about $50
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

You American guys are spending way too much for fuel filters....Hengst Filters here for $21 + shipping...Canadians...good luck

http://www.diesel-filters.com/h278wk...el-filter.html

They also have a great price on Hengst oil filters as well...

http://www.diesel-filters.com/e71h-d...il-filter.html

Both Hengst and Mahle are the OEM suppliers to Mercedes....it could be one or the other.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 12:25 AM   #9
ggrassmid

Thanks for the links. I will need to pick up a couple and change mine with my next oil change.
What do you use for air filter?
JF Black WK Club #168
ggrassmid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #10
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
Thanks for the links. I will need to pick up a couple and change mine with my next oil change.
What do you use for air filter?
Fram filter from walmart..they are $10 bucks
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
crd , fuel economy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.