Front suspension clunk over potholes...Ball joints ? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Front suspension clunk over potholes...Ball joints ?

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #46
UtahWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybcpt View Post
UtahWK if you "rear seat" squeak is more like a creak (like an old creaking wooden ship) then fold the seats down squirt some WD-40 or put some grease on the mechanisim that locks the back seats in the upright position. It worked for me!!! It happened when I would turn a corner or pull into a driveway and it sounded like a creaking noise that would travel from one side to the next. Hope this helps!
Thank you, that is a perfect description of the sound. I'm hoping to get the Jeep back this afternoon and I'll give it a try. I would be so happy to get rid of the noise that easily. My father-in-law has it right now trying to track down an electrical problem (you can look at the thread I started to see a description of the problem). It's nice having a mechanic in the fam that just charges for parts!

UtahWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #47
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

Anytime! Hope it works for you, I sprayed wd-40 on it first then put a little brake grease on the latches that the rear seats hook onto and the sound completely disappeared and hasn't come back, it's been 4 months! Let me know if it works for you.
Billybcpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #48
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebesjeep View Post
Well, I did sway links and bar bushings like many have and it definitely made difference but still have some cluck up front.

Just put Monroe reflexes on hoping to completely get rid of the clunck....still clunks.

Replaced an upper ball joint....still clunks.

Replaced rack and pinion three times (whole another story) . That was the cause for most of the clunking, but something is still clunking.

Another clunk that I have not seen posted was the front calibers.....What happens is the slide pins get wore out and the grease comes out. Mine where clunking very bad. New slide pins and rubber gaskets all good.

Did the front diff bushings too, that had no affect surprisingly...

BUT.......I still have a clunk.......grrrrrr
the upper ball joints are replaceable? or did you replace the whole upper control arm?
Blue WK club #5
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ, random leafspring budget lift ith 33s on 16s and V8 swap.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ --SOLD.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #49
mrtosh
2005 WK 

The upper ball joints are replaceable.
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #50
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

oh thank god! the upper control arms them selves are 160$ a peice. The dealership told me i couldnt just replace just the ball joint. But they also said you cant adjust the camber after you lift a WK... idiots. Do they just press out like normal ball joints? I cant find it in my service manual on how to replace them.
Blue WK club #5
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ, random leafspring budget lift ith 33s on 16s and V8 swap.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ --SOLD.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #51
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Yup. Press in and out. Careful when pressing the new ones in as its at an angle and very easy to not get the ball joint in there just right. Easiest way is to just pull the arm. Two bolts and waalaa.
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #52
grebesjeep
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbmxseries1 View Post
the upper ball joints are replaceable? or did you replace the whole upper control arm?

Took the jeep to the stealership.......they cant figure it out either!!!! BUT it doesn't surprise me....
05’ WK GC, Hemi, REC/VES, 2.25” RR lift, 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2’s, Rubicon wheels, k&N CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Factory underbody steel skid, Factory transfer steel skid, Homemade front skid, Homemade rocksliders. Commander shift nob, Nav in motion cheat, Rola roof rack, Bilstein's, Rear air bags and remote compressor, factory projector/HID retrofit, front and rear SRT8 sway bars, chrome front tow hooks….thats it for now.
grebesjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #53
SS 414
2006 XK Commander 

I'm going to replace my bushings as well on my 06 XK. I wasn't able to get a good measurement of the diameter of my sway bar so I don't know what size to order. The part number for the sway bar is 52090154AE. I tried searching for that part number to get the dimensions but I couldn't locate the dimensions. Anyone know the diameter of this sway bar with that part number? I'm thinking with the 3.7L it would be the smaller sway bar, but with the XK being bigger than the WK, I could see it being the bigger sway bar.
SS 414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #54
nazdackster
1984 CJ7 

Can dealer tell you?

You need to know whether you have the ribbed bushing holders or not too. If you don't have, you need to replace those as well. I'll bet the dealer can tell you what size you have, or borrow some calipers from someone and measure the diameter. Or take an adjustable wrench, tighten on the sway bar, pull off, then transfer that opening dimension to a scale off the vehicle (with wrench biased open to remove any slack)

Michael's CJ7
nazdackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #55
stryker221982
2005 WK 

my jeep was clunking very loud when i first bought it, almost any imperfection in the road made it clunk. i ended up replacing the sway bar bushing with the new style bushings and brackets and also the links cause they looked very worn out as well.

This solved my issues then. Now i got a clunk back but in a different form. I just had a shop install my OME HD kit and now i get a clunk but only when a more severe bump is hit like a pot hole that is a few inches below the normal pavement or pot hole or speed bump.

ive read a few posts on here that the upper control arm can hit the spring after this lift is installed. could it be the control arm is hitting the spring when the shock and spring fully sags?
stryker221982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #56
mwalters2
2005 WK 

Update on my original post: I replaced my bushings in December '10, and in the last month the noise was back again. I had to again replace those bushings and the noise went away again. Not very good, if the bushings only last 10 months!! I replaced them with the same blue Raybestos parts from Rock Auto - let's see how long these last. If they wear out quickly again, I'll try a different brand or maybe OEM.
Unread 10-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #57
Chapman89
2011 JK Wrangler 

Mine are shot again as well, I removed my sway bar and the noise was gone. I got 14,000 miles out of the Raybesto's bushings.
Chapman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #58
nazdackster
1984 CJ7 

Our Commander's bushings are clunking again after about 5000 miles using the Moog blue ones. Time to try OEM rubber I would guess. Sometimes there is nothing better than rubber. I'll let you know if new ones fix it again. Sounds like a pretty common problem, but fortunately easy to fix.

Michael's CJ7
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #59
Fulcher88

I fought the same clunk for months replacing sway bar bushing and all kinds of stuff. Got fed up one day and disconnected the sway bar. Low and behold.... End links! My advice to you would be start there. ExspeciAlly if your jeep is lifted

2005 5.7 beryl green. rough country bb 2", 265/70/17 BFG all terrain. rola roof rack, hella ff75, bilstein shock/strut, .25" front spacers. CAI, superchip, matrix 4xguard w/rails ( waiting on hoop in october). hella 1000 black magic rally driving lights, AEV pintler wheels in argent. JKS quick disconnect
Fulcher88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #60
nazdackster
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazdackster View Post
Our Commander's bushings are clunking again after about 5000 miles using the Moog blue ones. Time to try OEM rubber I would guess. Sometimes there is nothing better than rubber. I'll let you know if new ones fix it again. Sounds like a pretty common problem, but fortunately easy to fix.
Don't buy the Moog blue ones, go with OEM. I installed yesterday. The blue ones are a harder plastic and were visibly made oval after a short time. Not worn, the plastic moved out of the way, leaving a gap that was easy to find with a pry bar pushing on the sway bar, like 1/8".

The OEM's are soft rubber and have an anti-friction fabric molded on the inside. They are purposely a little too big so the brackets have to be pulled on with the bolts (the sway bar is squeezed tight). I suspect these will work much better and last longer. The vehicle feels great.

Good luck.

Michael's CJ7

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.