Front suspension clunk over potholes...Ball joints ? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Front suspension clunk over potholes...Ball joints ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #31
jgc2006
2006 WK 

Same problem with my 2006 WH CRD. I'm going to change those bushings. Thanks a lot for the info.

jgc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #32
jay_g
2006 WK 

Im about to order the bushings from rockauto. They have (2) p/n's listed. One for 1.34" sway bar and one for 1.29" sway bar. Mine is a '06 3.7 laredo with the new style brackets, the question is what sway bar do I have?
jay_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #33
nazdackster
1984 CJ7 

Hard to say... My 2007 is the 1.34. You could probably transfer the measurement with an adjustable wrench, then use whatever scale you have, if you don't have calipers. You should be able to see that difference. One is 1mm over 1.25, the other is 1mm short of 1-3/8.

Michael's CJ7
nazdackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #34
grebesjeep
2005 WK 

Well, I did sway links and bar bushings like many have and it definitely made difference but still have some cluck up front.

Just put Monroe reflexes on hoping to completely get rid of the clunck....still clunks.

Replaced an upper ball joint....still clunks.

Replaced rack and pinion three times (whole another story) . That was the cause for most of the clunking, but something is still clunking.

Another clunk that I have not seen posted was the front calibers.....What happens is the slide pins get wore out and the grease comes out. Mine where clunking very bad. New slide pins and rubber gaskets all good.

Did the front diff bushings too, that had no affect surprisingly...

BUT.......I still have a clunk.......grrrrrr
05’ WK GC, Hemi, REC/VES, 2.25” RR lift, 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2’s, Rubicon wheels, k&N CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Factory underbody steel skid, Factory transfer steel skid, Homemade front skid, Homemade rocksliders. Commander shift nob, Nav in motion cheat, Rola roof rack, Bilstein's, Rear air bags and remote compressor, factory projector/HID retrofit, front and rear SRT8 sway bars, chrome front tow hooks….thats it for now.
grebesjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #35
05WKinPA
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebesjeep View Post
Well, I did sway links and bar bushings like many have and it definitely made difference but still have some cluck up front.

Just put Monroe reflexes on hoping to completely get rid of the clunck....still clunks.

Replaced an upper ball joint....still clunks.

Replaced rack and pinion three times (whole another story) . That was the cause for most of the clunking, but something is still clunking.

Another clunk that I have not seen posted was the front calibers.....What happens is the slide pins get wore out and the grease comes out. Mine where clunking very bad. New slide pins and rubber gaskets all good.

Did the front diff bushings too, that had no affect surprisingly...

BUT.......I still have a clunk.......grrrrrr
The only thing left that I can think of is the lower control arms. The sleeve around the bolt that everyone has trouble getting out when they're installing their lifts....if I remember there was a rubber bushing in there....could probably be causing the clunk.
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #36
jay_g
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebesjeep View Post
I wonder if that is my issue. If I'm on the brakes the clunk is gone.
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #37
jay_g
2006 WK 

Replaced sway bar bushings, still have the clunk. Next is end links and caliper slid pins/bushings.

:edit:
I replaced the slid pin bushings. Took the wheels off and I could basically shake the calipers. After replacing all the hardware they were nice and tight again. Clunk is gone.

Kit I used
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1152266

Last edited by jay_g; 06-10-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #38
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

It definitely sounds like the lower control arm bushing connected to the wheel. It was definitely clunking just like you describe on the front driver's side wheel (over potholes, bumps in the road, etc. especially when turning over a bump.) I started with replacing the front sway bar brackets and bushings, it helped a little bit but still clunked. I finally had them replace the lower control arm and sway bar links on the driver's side with new bushings and the CLUNK is gone!!! I had just bought it from the dealer so I forced them to fix it till it went away. Hope this helps!!! I don't know how to post a pic on here yet but if someone could help I'll show you the cause.....
Billybcpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #39
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Did the sway bar bushings, and they were of no help. I think that the lower control arm is the issue, but it is hard to tell.
Unread 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #40
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

^^^^See comment above^^^^
Unread 06-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #41
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybcpt View Post
^^^^See comment above^^^^
I was just posting my agreement with you that LCA was probably my issue and could be the issue for others. I am not certain about the LCA, but it has moved up my most likely suspects list.

I do know that sway bar bushings were not the problem at all.
Unread 06-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #42
UtahWK
2005 WK 

MWalter2,
I picked a 2005 WK about a month ago. It was a sceaming deal with a Hemi and QDII so I just took for a quick spin, wrote a check, and away I went. After driving it around for a few days the clunk from the front end really started to bother me. After a quick Google search I found this thread. I figured that changing the bushings and retainers was the way to go, especially for just a $40 investment. I ordered the same parts from the same places you suggested. After spending 20 minutes swapping them out a quick test drive confirmed that you were 100% correct. Thank you, thank you for the great info!! My WK feels brand new (other than the rear seat squeek which is my next project). I couldn't be happier with the results!
UtahWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #43
dcecr
2006 WK 

tks for the pics, i've got replace the bushings on my '06 WK 3.7L
dcecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #44
jay_g
2006 WK 

Well my clunk is back. The slid pin kit worked for about a week. Clunk is gone while on the brakes.
Unread 06-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #45
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

UtahWK if your "rear seat" squeak is more like a creak (like an old creaking wooden ship) then fold the seats down squirt some WD-40 or put some grease on the mechanisim that locks the back seats in the upright position. It worked for me!!! It happened when I would turn a corner or pull into a driveway and it sounded like a creaking noise that would travel from one side to the next. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Billybcpt; 07-13-2011 at 09:24 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.