Front suspension clunk over potholes...Ball joints ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Front suspension clunk over potholes...Ball joints ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
mwalters2
2005 WK 

At first I thought it was the front struts too (the right front was leaking). I replaced mine with Monroe Reflex. It improved the ride a lot and got rid of some of the noise, but not all. When I replaced the bushings, all the noise went away.

Unread 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
I went by a dealer and they checked out the sway bar bushings with me and said they were fine (and they did look like new), I ended up ordering end links from Rock Auto (against the dealer's advice, also saying they looked good) and they did nothing.

I eventually replaced shocks with Bilsteins at the same time I put on the SRT rear bar on, and no more clunks. I think it was shocks clunking, or whatever was touched during install, fixed it. Rides better, handles better, and no clunks.
Oh, and my true fix was giving the Jeep to my wife, so even if it does clunk, I drive it so rarely I don't notice it.
Unread 12-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
truterbusch
2006 WK 

I just replaced mine with the rock auto's and no more clunk! I ordered the bushings only because my 06' has the updated brackets already. The bushings came in next day even though I had ground shipping. Great service. Thanks Mwalters2 for the advice. FYI my bushings looked fine before I replaced them too. The problem was the design of the old bushings primarily where the "slit" is on the mopar bushing. Its right where the metal to metal contact point is on the frame. Thats where the clunk was coming from I believe. There was also some clean metal under the bushing as if the sway bar was bumping into the frame.
Unread 01-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #19
nazdackster
1984 CJ7 

2007 bushings different?

FYI: RockAuto calls out this number for the 2007, possibly for a different diameter sway bar: 5501589. $15.23 for the pair. LOVE RockAuto. They also sell various versions of the sway bar links. Will probably go with MOOG if that's what the cause is.

Michael's CJ7
nazdackster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #20
Chapman89
2011 JK Wrangler 

I replaced my bushings with the raybesto's brand parts, the clunking went away for a good while but I'm getting it again. Time for end links??
Chapman89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #21
nazdackster
1984 CJ7 

Since my wife has owned the vehicle for a total of about 30 hours, I'm not sure! We noticed the clunking before we bought it, but it was such a good deal I didn't even bring it up, thinking it's probably something simple. Everything felt tight under there tonight, but I haven't removed the right link yet to see if that makes it go away. Will do tomorrow. If that eliminates the clunking, then I know its either bushings or links. The links look original (2007) and the rubber looks like it's cracking a bit. There are probably poly links available, but I can't tell. RockAuto has a few options available for links, from about $13 each to $24 or so for the Moog. I think I'll change both if sway bar is indicated. From what I've read, most likely cause is links first, then bushings. How long did your Raybestos bushings last? Those are obviously polyurethane, I wonder whether the OEM rubber are better (hopefully with the new design and presumably cutout to the bottom)? Rubber usually will give a softer feel in suspensions than polyurethane, but I think poly might last longer. Probably depends on durometer of the material for suspension feel. Let us know what you find out... Thanks.

Michael's CJ7
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #22
mailforjon
2005 WK 

i just replaced the bushings and clamps on my 05 recently and all noise went away. i was having the same noises as the OP - over potholes, uneven roads, etc.

the stock bushing LOOKED ok, but clearly wasnt. as previously mentioned, the slit in the old bushing faces the frame of the car. the new mopar bushing has the slit facing perpendicular to the frame.

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #23
nazdackster
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazdackster View Post
Since my wife has owned the vehicle for a total of about 30 hours, I'm not sure!
Sorry - I forgot to update this a long time ago... Took right link off (that's where the clunk was), noise went away. So I figured link or bushing, most likely bushing from previous posts. Replaced the sway bar bushings with the blue ones from RockAuto, done deal, problem solved... Left the links alone. Cheap fix.

Michael's CJ7
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #24
godfa7h3r
2005 WK 

Just replaced sway bar bushings and clamps on my 05 GC using the ones suggested here. Clunking/rattling/popping noises = GONE!!!!!!
godfa7h3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #25
ianrmz250
2007 WK 

I changed both swaybar links and bushes on my CRD last week , drives like new now.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #26
kkuty
2006 WK 

Do you have to remove the whole sway bar to get the bushings on? Seems liek they are quite hard to pry open...or do they just slide on the end where the links are?
kkuty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2011, 01:40 AM   #27
ianrmz250
2007 WK 

My bushes pryed open fairly easily , i then slid in position and clamped to the chassis.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2011, 05:57 AM   #28
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I am going to give this a shot for the XK. I have got a clunk that will not go away. I did the differential pinion bushing, and that was no help. I am going to try this next. If this does not work, then I will be doing the shocks with Bilstein's. Hopefully, one of those will cure what ails me.

I could see ball joints or the steering rack being my issue also. Time will tell.
Unread 04-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #29
ogie
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
I went by a dealer and they checked out the sway bar bushings with me and said they were fine (and they did look like new), I ended up ordering end links from Rock Auto (against the dealer's advice, also saying they looked good) and they did nothing.

I eventually replaced shocks with Bilsteins at the same time I put on the SRT rear bar on, and no more clunks. I think it was shocks clunking, or whatever was touched during install, fixed it. Rides better, handles better, and no clunks.
What's better about the srt sway bar? Just curious.
ogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #30
kkuty
2006 WK 

Replaced my bushings today...ended up just heating them up a bit and the went right on.

Night and day difference....no more front end noises.
kkuty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.