Front suspension clunk over potholes...Ball joints ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Front suspension clunk over potholes...Ball joints ?

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 11-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
ianrmz250
2007 WK 

Front suspension clunk over potholes...Ball joints ?

Hi
My CRD has now done 43000 miles and over the past 6 months or so the front suspension on both sides has developed a clunk over potholes, drain covers etc.which is gradually getting worse.I have studied the parts drawings for the suspension and seems there are numerous bushes , and balljoints that could be at fault.What should i replace first? is there a known weak area with this suspension eg.balljoints ?.
It is a standard CRD with standard original suspension that doesn,t go off road that frequently (used to tow horse trailer).

ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

what usualy will go first is swaybar links. you can unbolt them and drive it over a bump and see if it goes away. then if you hear dont hear the clunk replace them. also most shops when they do oilchanges will diagnose the issue for you for free, usualy so they can repair it though.
Blue WK club #5
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ, random leafspring budget lift ith 33s on 16s and V8 swap.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ --SOLD.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
ianrmz250
2007 WK 

Thanks for the response,i will try disconecting the sway bar links.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Dachy
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbmxseries1 View Post
what usualy will go first is swaybar links. you can unbolt them and drive it over a bump and see if it goes away. then if you hear dont hear the clunk replace them. also most shops when they do oilchanges will diagnose the issue for you for free, usualy so they can repair it though.
I second that .. experienced most likely same clunking noise over uneven roads. Replaced sway bar end-links ... all good now. Unexpensive and easy repair
Dachy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
mwalters2
2005 WK 

I found that it's actually the swaybar bushings and not the end links. It seems they made a design change to try to help the situation. At least on my '05, if you order new bushings, you will have to also replace the clamps to go with the superseded design. The updated bushing part number is 52089465AF, and has a different shape that won't fit with the original clamp. The updated clamp to go with it is 52090474AB. I used a Raybestos part (5501588) from RockAuto.com for the bushing. You'll notice that the split is on a different side as well.

Here's the old and new, side by side:

Here are some pics of it installed.....

Passenger Side:

Driver's Side:

NO MORE NOISE!!

Last edited by mwalters2; 12-21-2010 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Fixed photos
mwalters2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
cobrakillerta
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalters2 View Post
I found that it's actually the swaybar bushings and not the end links. It seems they made a design change to try to help the situation. At least on my '05, if you order new bushings, you will have to also replace the clamps to go with the superseded design. The updated bushing part number is 52089465AF, and has a different shape that won't fit with the original clamp. The updated clamp to go with it is 52090474AB. I used a Raybestos part (5501588) from RockAuto.com for the bushing. You'll notice that the split is on a different side as well.

NO MORE NOISE!!
That's some good info...I actually have the same exact Raybestos bushings from rock auto waiting to be installed, will they NOT work with my stock/original '05 clamp?
cobrakillerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
pics dont work...I have an 05 as well...so I need 5209047AB (who'd you order these from?) + bushing 5501588?
Munch520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
mwalters2
2005 WK 

Trying to fix the pictures now.... If your clamp looks like the top one in the first pic, then no - the updated bushings will not fit. Notice the rib or bead running down the middle of the newer clamp. The updated bushing has the same shape. I got the updated clamp (52090474AB) at dodge-wholesale.com for $6.33 each, plus shipping. The Raybestos bushings (5501588) came from RockAuto.com for $15.23 plus shipping for the pair.

Last edited by mwalters2; 12-21-2010 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Added info....
Unread 12-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
truterbusch
2006 WK 

Awesome post. Ive had this problem for a bit now. I tested my swaybar by disconnecting the links and no clunk. Im definately gonna order the new bushings/ mounts if needed. Ive read quite a bit of posts with people who have had similar problems. Some people replaced some pretty expensive components with no clunk fix. This will hopefully help many. Cheers.
Unread 12-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
cmdrjim
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Trying to fix the pictures now.... If your clamp looks like the top one in the first pic, then no - the updated bushings will not fit. Notice the rib or bead running down the middle of the newer clamp. The updated bushing has the same shape. I got the updated clamp (52090474AB) at dodge-wholesale.com for $6.33 each, plus shipping. The Raybestos bushings (5501588) came from RockAuto.com for $15.23 plus shipping for the pair.
Which way did you put the bushing slit?
cmdrjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
mwalters2
2005 WK 

I put the slit down. I reasoned that when the suspension compresses, the LCA goes up, which will put an upward force on the sway bar. I wanted the slit away from this force. If you zoom in on the installed pics, you can just barely make it out. That said, with the clamp holding in place tight, it probably won't matter too much.
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #12
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

ok hm I looked briefly last night and my mounting setup looks different (2005 4.7l) so I'll check again tonight
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
mwalters2
2005 WK 

Mine is also a 2005 4.7L....
Unread 12-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #14
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

doh! ya know what...I was looking at the end links
Unread 12-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

I went by a dealer and they checked out the sway bar bushings with me and said they were fine (and they did look like new), I ended up ordering end links from Rock Auto (against the dealer's advice, also saying they looked good) and they did nothing.

I eventually replaced shocks with Bilsteins at the same time I put on the SRT rear bar on, and no more clunks. I think it was shocks clunking, or whatever was touched during install, fixed it. Rides better, handles better, and no clunks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.