Front Skid Plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Front Skid Plate

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
mrfWKJeep
2006 WK 

Front Skid Plate

I was noticing my front skid plate is plastic?? Wondering if anyone has made one out of metal, something I can fab at home, not sure how I would cut/bend the metal though???

mrfWKJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
T-Rated

That's not a skid plate. It's a "brush plate." That's the factory default unless you get the skid package. You can buy the metal plate from a dealer, or JustForJeeps.com or JParts.com. And while you're at it, you can get the fuel tank and transfer case skid plates, too. For the T-Case plate, you *have* to the the fuel tank skid, as the T-Case skid mounts to the F-Tank skid.

If that's not enough protection, go for the FrontGuard HC from 4xGuard.com.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L • Bells • Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks • Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails • Flowmaster 70 • 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
coyote runner

That 4xguard has nice stuff for the price,..I installed the rear HC skid for my WK,..forget about the front HC skid,..no longer in production or will it be according to 4xguard.
coyote runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
S10Eater
2001 TJ Wrangler 

correct me if im wrong but can i assume that my truck is equipped with the skid plates seeing in that its an overland (2007)
JEEP: If i wanted a Hummer, I would have asked your sister
S10Eater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
coyote runner

the stock skids are fine for moderate off roading,...4xguard make HC (Hard Core) skids designed for more grulling off road abstacles,..the rear skid would be in addition to your stock providing protection to your rear bumper so it wont rip off when hitting tree roots or stiff rocks,..same goes with the front.
coyote runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
coloradowk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Eater
correct me if im wrong but can i assume that my truck is equipped with the skid plates seeing in that its an overland (2007)
Probably, but all it takes to make sure is looking underneath your Jeep.
coloradowk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2007, 02:01 AM   #7
merlinTec

Hi
This is cost cutting by Jeep a 2005 had a metal one as standard.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 10-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
CEPCNC
2005 WK 

My stock front plastic brush plate got ripped off within the first couple thousand miles I had it. I replaced it with a 4xguard piece....this thing hasn;t moved or bent one bit...and it's only the front guard 1 which is aluminum.
CEPCNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
flyrx
2007 WK 

Has anyone that has changed the plastic brush plate for a more substantive metal skid plate noticed an increase in engine/road noise? The plastic piece's design (with hollow plastic cells) looks like it was designed to insulate against noise. I was just wondering....
flyrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #10
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

I switched my 'brush plate' out for the Mopar 'Front Suspension Skid Plate' and I haven't noticed any difference. The real skid plate is pretty heavy, though. I don't think that plastic one has much to do with sound, either....
Unread 10-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #11
mrfWKJeep
2006 WK 

guess I'll have to swap out the parts for the 4xguard parts, seems like the way to go.
Unread 10-15-2007, 08:17 AM   #12
T-Rated

4xGuard is not a replacement for the Mopar skids. You'll *need* to get the factory skid plates, which you can install yourself. The 4xGuard skid plate(s) cover areas not covered by the factory skid plates.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L • Bells • Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks • Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails • Flowmaster 70 • 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #13
mrfWKJeep
2006 WK 

that's good information - I didn't know that...
Unread 10-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #14
CEPCNC
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rated
4xGuard is not a replacement for the Mopar skids. You'll *need* to get the factory skid plates, which you can install yourself. The 4xGuard skid plate(s) cover areas not covered by the factory skid plates.
Take 4xguard's belly skid: it covers the cats whilst the OEM plates don't. The 4xguard skidplates are plenty good for most situations, but for near complete peace of mind it is wise to do as T-rated suggests...get them OEM+4xguard components and rest easy.
CEPCNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #15
mrfWKJeep
2006 WK 

I was going to order the front suspension & transfer case skids but I was reading that the fuel tank one is required to install the transfer case one? justforjeeps won't ship the fuel tank one - pickup only. Can I replace the other two and leave the plastic fuel tank "brush gaurd" for now?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.