Front skid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Front skid?

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 08-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Jeepin1990
2006 WK 

Front skid?

So my wk has a plastic skid under the front ifs and axle. I'm pretty sure this is stock on all wks. Any mine is cracked and I am wondering if there is a actual skid plate out there to replace it. Does the 4xguard front skid meet up where the plastic fake skid begins? Or will it kill two birds with one stone? Just looking for a little guidance. Thanks

Lj

2006 3.7l WK, OME MD, 265/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Flat Black, JeepinByAl Front Strut Spacers, JKS Front and Rear Disconnects, Powerwire, JBA Headers, Airaid Upper Intake Tube, Hypertech Max Energy, 4xGuard Front Skid, 6000k HID Lows
Jeepin1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

There is an oem metal skid to replace the plastic one.

Jeep oem skids include, front diff/suspension, transfer case, and gas tank.. all metal and pretty decent.

4xG makes the belly guard (transmission/cats), rear diff, front (radiator), rocker guards, and rear bumper sliders.
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
2008JGC

can u pick up the metal oems at jeep dealer ships?
2008JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008JGC View Post
can u pick up the metal oems at jeep dealer ships?
you can but like stated in another post from you- its cheaper online.
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
The_Gunslinger
2008 WK 

Its called a front suspension skid. I got mine from jeeppartspeople.com for 50. Id highly recommend getting that and the 4xguard front
The_Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Jeepin1990
2006 WK 

Thanks a bunch. Will do
2006 3.7l WK, OME MD, 265/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Flat Black, JeepinByAl Front Strut Spacers, JKS Front and Rear Disconnects, Powerwire, JBA Headers, Airaid Upper Intake Tube, Hypertech Max Energy, 4xGuard Front Skid, 6000k HID Lows
Jeepin1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
WH-HEMI

I'm just in the process of completing my custom made front (radiator) bash plate. I've cut out larger slots for air to reduce the weight of chequer plate. Being chequer plate, it's much tougher than normal steel.

I didn't use any alloy, didn't want to spend money buying a whole sheet. I got these made up from offcuts at work, cost me nothing and I cut the slots to match the Jeep's 7-slot grille.

I'm also getting the one done to replace the plastic one (chequer plate also) and one for the torque converter (sheet metal).

I'll post some pics after it's mounted on the car.
WH-HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH-HEMI
I'm just in the process of completing my custom made front (radiator) bash plate. I've cut out larger slots for air to reduce the weight of chequer plate. Being chequer plate, it's much tougher than normal steel.

I didn't use any alloy, didn't want to spend money buying a whole sheet. I got these made up from offcuts at work, cost me nothing and I cut the slots to match the Jeep's 7-slot grille.

I'm also getting the one done to replace the plastic one (chequer plate also) and one for the torque converter (sheet metal).

What happened to the photos?
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
you can but like stated in another post from you- its cheaper online.
Actually - when I bought my Mopar front suspension and transfer case skids I got them from the dealer for cheaper than anywhere online because there was no shipping charges - plus, I picked them up the day after I called the dealer.

To the OP -
A while back I started a thread on skids:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/s...+configuration
There might be some helpful posts in this as well.

BTW - the Mopar oem skids are quite stout.
This is what you're looking for:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
wk_hkie
2008 WK 

Junk yards or used parts places are great place to look too. I got front plate and t case plate for $20 in perfect condition
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
meep
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH-HEMI View Post

wow nice work!
meep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
JRLT
2010 WK 

Good & bad... You guys got me looking at my front skid and I noticed the bolt was missing out of the front driver's side mount. Well, it's not missing, it's been shorn off with the length of the bolt still in the mount, head of bolt scraped off. Now I gotta figure out how to fix that.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #13
grandcher0kee06
2006 WK 

Same problem here, if you find a way to get yours out, please post cause mine has been stuck in there for almost a year now and i would like to remove it and put a replacement one in there for peace of mind.

[COLOR="Blue"]Blue WK Club Member #9[/COLOR]
grandcher0kee06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

i think the ASFIR belly guard goes up abit
ask Omelet
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
WKrails
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLT View Post
I noticed the bolt was missing out of the front driver's side mount. Well, it's not missing, it's been shorn off with the length of the bolt still in the mount, head of bolt scraped off.
Same deal here, but the passenger side front bolt. I zip tied it up for now. Seems Jeep has some hardware quality issues, there was just a thread the other night about a suspension bolt rusting through.
WKrails is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.