Front End Clunking Noise - Not Bushing...Maybe Calipers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Front End Clunking Noise - Not Bushing...Maybe Calipers?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
jkrosky
2005 WK 

Front End Clunking Noise - Not Bushing...Maybe Calipers?

So I posted this message a while back (2005 WK Hemi) ...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...bumps-1155475/

I got some great feedback and ended up replacing the swaybar bushings. However the noise never really went away.

I took the jeep to a small local mechanic and asked to them to diagnose the problem. They told me that everything on the front end suspension wise looked good. They said the noise was coming from my calipers and they were loose and rattling over small/sharp bumps, which actually makes sence. However, I don't want to pay for them to fix it.

Has anyone ran into this issues (loose/clunking front calipers)? What was your solution? What all did you replace? Did it fix it?

Thanks for the help!

jkrosky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Lifted_up
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrosky View Post
So I posted this message a while back (2005 WK Hemi) ...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...bumps-1155475/

I got some great feedback and ended up replacing the swaybar bushings. However the noise never really went away.

I took the jeep to a small local mechanic and asked to them to diagnose the problem. They told me that everything on the front end suspension wise looked good. They said the noise was coming from my calipers and they were loose and rattling over small/sharp bumps, which actually makes sence. However, I don't want to pay for them to fix it.

Has anyone ran into this issues (loose/clunking front calipers)? What was your solution? What all did you replace? Did it fix it?

Thanks for the help!
Never heard of that being the cause of anybody's clunking. The caliper is secured by two bolts. They are pretty easy to tighten and you might even be able to do it without removing the tire if you can get a good look at them. If it was that, I wouldn't pay to have it done.
[09 JKU Rubicon][4.5" lift][Synergy draglink flip kit][Bushwacker flat flares][18x9 Black Eagle Alloy 197 Wheels][35" Nitto Trail Grapplers][Warrior Front Stubby Bumper w/Hidden Winch Mount][Smittybilt X20 10 Comp Series Winch][Paramount Restyling Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier][Adams Front DS][SC Flashpaq][PureJeep C Gussets][Nitro Sleeves]
Lifted_up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
stanton3
2007 WK 

Never heard of that either. If you're caliper was loose enough to cause noise, I would think you would have noticed some braking problems by now.

As lifted up said its pretty easy to check. Just two bolts hold it on. Do you have any mods done?
2007 WK 4x4 | OME HD 3" Lift | OME Shocks front + rear | 265/70/17 BFG All Terrains | 1.25" Wheel Spacers on stock wheels | Saguaro4xcomponents 5/8" Front recovery shackles | Aries Taillight Guards | PIAA 510 fogs in stock location | Midland 1001z Cb | Mopar Rear recovery hook | Rola Roof Rack |2 Hella 500ffs mounted behind grill | Firestick 3' Antenna | Saguaro Antenna Mount | Front Bumper Cut/Fender Trim | OEM Front suspension skid | 4xguard Front skid | Rusty's .5" Front Spacer | Lots more to come

[SIZE="3"]Want to buy: 4xguard Rear Guard[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stanton3s-build-wk-1134656/"]My Build[/URL][/SIZE]

[B][COLOR="Gray"]
[SIZE="3"][URL="http://wrjeepclub.com/"]Warner Robins Jeep Club[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
stanton3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
mailforjon
2005 WK 

perhaps the sway bar end links?

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
jkrosky
2005 WK 

The brakes work fine (just put on new pads and rotors) no problems whatsoever. The caliper bolts are tight. I pulled the tires off and checked. I'm wondering how the calipers are mounted the wheel, with the 2 bolts... if they need to be loaded or somthing. I'm out of ideas and it's driving me crazy!

No mods everything is stock... only 36K on the jeep.

The only other thing that I have noticed (don't know if it's related or not), but could be...

When I'm turning at a fast speed and going over some bumps the jeep seems to get wobbly (tires not keeping good contract on the ground), then the tires seem to catch and the jeep pulls/jumps a bit back into control.

Shocks?

Last edited by jkrosky; 08-12-2011 at 11:54 AM..
jkrosky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
dsolis1
2007 WK 

either axle or bearing in hub.
dsolis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Budasac
2005 WK 

I have actually experienced a clunking sound that turned out to be a loose caliper bolt. It appeared to be tight but I was able to get another 1/4 - 1/2 turn on it and that solved the problem. I was pretty surprised because it was a pretty loud clunk. I didn't even want to drive it without checking it. The hole the mounting bolt goes through is a little larger then the bolt and there was just enough play to allow the caliper to move up and down slightly.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
schwagn
2005 WK 

I have the same issue - while my caliper bolts were tight, I found that the brake pads can move up/down a bit in the carrier. I get a clunk/rattle when hitting bumps and potholes, UNLESS I'm on the brakes at the same time...

I bought a brake kit and replaced the slide bushings and the little metal clips which helped for a bit, but the clips loosened up after a few days and the rattle is back. I suspect it's just the particular brand of pads (NAPA mid-grade) not fitting well, but haven't done any further testing. Will post back whenever I change the pads.

Also - I've noticed that the left side of my jeep generated a LOT more brake dust than the right. I guess those pads are dragging a little. I'm pretty sure I didn't mix the sets up. It's driving me nuts - have to clean the left side wheels almost every day.

Lenny
schwagn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Drew
2007 WK 

Mine does the same thing. I pulled the brakes apart and found the caliper pins are just a bit sloppy, especially now that the brakes are worn a bit (45k) causing the caliper to sit further out on the pins. I plan on replacing all 4 pins when I do the brakes over the winter, hopefully that will help. I greased the pins and the holes the pins ride in and the rattle went away for a few days bit now it's back.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 08-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
mrtosh
2005 WK 

You can try greasing your slide pins and i would check the caliper bracket(mount) bolts as well. Another thing is when you're on the brakes you put a load on a lot of things in the front end that can mask where the sound is really coming from. Another possibility is your steering. Have you checked the tie rods, inner and outer ends? I had a clunk when accelerating, hitting bumps, and a noticeable clunk when turning the wheel left to right. Changed out my diff bushings, and all the ball joints, and it was still there. Tracked it down to the steering rack. I get to joyfully change that out this weekend.
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
schwagn
2005 WK 

Just to follow up - I changed my pads and the new ones (Autozone Gold ceramic) fit better. No more clunk/rattle when hitting cracks in the pavement. My slide pins didn't have much up/down movement, but were pretty difficult to move in/out. (maybe because of the new pin bushings) I loaded them up with grease this time and all seems well.

Does anyone know where to get new pins? None of my local shops have them. A "brake kit" comes with new anti-rattle brackets, slide pin boots, and pin bushings but no pins. Mine were ok but one of the old boots was cracked and there was a bunch of rust forming on the pin. I cleaned it up but may want to replace them next time.
schwagn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
Chapman89
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtosh View Post
You can try greasing your slide pins and i would check the caliper bracket(mount) bolts as well. Another thing is when you're on the brakes you put a load on a lot of things in the front end that can mask where the sound is really coming from. Another possibility is your steering. Have you checked the tie rods, inner and outer ends? I had a clunk when accelerating, hitting bumps, and a noticeable clunk when turning the wheel left to right. Changed out my diff bushings, and all the ball joints, and it was still there. Tracked it down to the steering rack. I get to joyfully change that out this weekend.
You mentioned your steering rack being the cause of your clunk. How did you diagnose this as the cause? I'm in the middle of changing some parts myself and my next step is diff bushings. I know for a fact they need replaced but the clunk you describe is similar to my issue.

What should I look for underneath my XK that would indicate the steering rack being messed up?

Thank you!

315/70/17 BFG A/T KO
17x9 (4.5BS) Black Rock Dune Series Wheels
Chapman89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman89 View Post
You mentioned your steering rack being the cause of your clunk. How did you diagnose this as the cause? I'm in the middle of changing some parts myself and my next step is diff bushings. I know for a fact they need replaced but the clunk you describe is similar to my issue.

What should I look for underneath my XK that would indicate the steering rack being messed up?

Thank you!
With the jeep off turn the wheel back and forth in 6-8" movements, if you hear a clunking it could be the rack or tie rods. I pulled the bellow boot and had my gf turn the wheel back and forth. When I pressed on the rack itself the noise subsided. The tie rods and ends were fine.
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
Unread 08-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Another thing it did was pulling into or out of a tight parking space at almost full lock the front would snap hard. Not a diff chatter type noise but the rack itself loading up and releasing in the housing.
Unread 08-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
Chapman89
2011 JK Wrangler 

The noise I'm experiencing feels/sounds like a hollow knock in the floor going over bumps/potholes. I also get a light clunk turning the steering wheel left to right when in park.

I've replaced sway bar bushings and end links. I know my diff bushings need replaced because I get the notorious thud shifting out of park into reverse, neutral, drive.

315/70/17 BFG A/T KO
17x9 (4.5BS) Black Rock Dune Series Wheels
Chapman89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.