Front Drive Shaft Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Front Drive Shaft Removal

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Front Drive Shaft Removal

So I tried removing my front drive shaft this afternoon and failed! I could get the bolts out about a .25" and then they just didn't want to go any farther. Who has unbolted theirs and did you have this problem. I really didn't want to force them and snap one.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Did a starter on my dads 2005 grand cherokee over the summer. Lube them up a bit and back them out. You cant get the driveshaft out after its all un bolted. You have to support the transmission and drop the crossmember in order to have room to remove the driveshaft. Very stupid design.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Acidcold
2005 WK 

TRZ has done it.
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ok thanks! I am not necessarily trying to take the shaft out completely, I was unbolting it to drop the diff.

Unread 03-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
scotimus75
2005 WK 

I had to unbolt the drive shaft on mine when I replaced the starter and it was a ***** to say the least. The bolts on mine had loctite on them. I had to switch back to the breaker bar repeatedly to get them all of the way out. Several times it seemed like they werent going to come out, but the good ole breaker worked every time.
Khaki WK Club Member #22

"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."
scotimus75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
overboostin
2008 WK 

Are you dropping the diff cause of the lift?

Don't Tread On Me
overboostin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

No, to get to the yellow starter wire and to replace the pinion bushing. I know, lots of fun!

Unread 03-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
SuplexTreatment
2005 WK 

Pb blast!!!
SuplexTreatment is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
kingvm
2005 WK 

If you look at the threads on the bottom bolt on the pic you can see the thread kicker in the threads. PB blast won't help removing these bolts. Breaker bar or impact gun with the right combo of extensions is the only way. This was one of the harder tasks for me when doing my pinion bushing.
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Thanks guys! I had them all soaking in PB Blaster before starting and then I using a breaker bar, that was as far as they wanted to come out. I was not sure if this was normal so I stopped and snapped the pic. Now that I know I will get the impact wrench on it next time. The bolt for the pinion bushing look like it will be fun too!

Unread 03-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
grebesjeep
2005 WK 

just did replaced the bushing last night....pain is the ***!!! I used air tools for the whole job, with out them its hell of a job.
05’ WK GC, Hemi, REC/VES, 2.25” RR lift, 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2’s, Rubicon wheels, k&N CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Factory underbody steel skid, Factory transfer steel skid, Homemade front skid, Homemade rocksliders. Commander shift nob, Nav in motion cheat, Rola roof rack, Bilstein's, Rear air bags and remote compressor, factory projector/HID retrofit, front and rear SRT8 sway bars, chrome front tow hooks….thats it for now.
grebesjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Acidcold
2005 WK 

Look into a Matco MCL18IWVS cordless impact wrench for those without a air compressor. That thing is on my Christmas list this year.
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #13
mailforjon
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidcold View Post
Look into a Matco MCL18IWVS cordless impact wrench for those without a air compressor. That thing is on my Christmas list this year.
for that price ($615 on Matco's website), you could get a decent compressor and pneumatic impact wrench. then you'd at least have a compressor if you needed it for other air tools (air hammer, ratchet, grinder, nail guns, etc.).

i run the ridgid compressor below with a craftsman professional impact wrench.

http://ext.homedepot.com/video/?bcpi...d=652040503001

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
Acidcold
2005 WK 

Not bad but in some situations you wouldn't want that out on the trails with you, I have an OBA system by Viair which has about the same power on a 2.5 gallon tank and runs at 150psi. It isn't enough to power the air thirsty impact wrenches and some of those drivers don't even carry the power that the MATCO offers.
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #15
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I will be doing this on Saturday, breaker bar in hand. I have no power tools.

I have to get that pinion bushing done. I plan to leave the shaft in place but unbolted. I also need to do the differential solenoids and fluid while I am in there. I expect that you will want to use more thread locker when reinstalling. That reminds me. I will need to pick some up before Saturday.

On the design of the shaft, I bet that the pain for removal was intentional. You would hate to have the front mounting break free and have the shaft pole vault your ride on the freeway. This way, if it fails, then it just drops and sits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.