Front Differential Options/Alternatives - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Front Differential Options/Alternatives

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Front Differential Options/Alternatives

It's hard to believe no manufacturer out there doesn't or won't make different front ring n pinion options for our xk/wk's??? Has anyone ever checked with custom manufacturers or made their own custom 3rd member from a D35 or D44?

Unread 09-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Very quietly there is a set of short front gears being experimented with, for the stock IFS front diff. Cant say much more, but when i hear more ill post it!
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valpacer View Post
Very quietly there is a set of short front gears being experimented with, for the stock IFS front diff. Cant say much more, but when i hear more ill post it!
Interesting.................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
ca07wk
2007 WK 

Do you know if it is for the ELSD or open diff?
OME HD / Bilsteins / RRO UCA / Toyo AT2 on Moabs / Volant / Viper TB / Powerwire / TB Ground / Sprint Booster / JKS Rear Discos / Asfir Skid / Apsen Creek Skid / Front Shackles / Rear Sliders / Cobra CB / S4xC Antenna Mount w/ 2' Firestix
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca07wk View Post
Do you know if it is for the ELSD or open diff?
This is what im curious about also
BLACK WK CLUB #87

LOOKING TO BUY: 4XGUARD SKIDS, SUPERCHIP 3870/3872, CATCH CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Jeep's prefer the company of other Jeep's over that of other vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imann View Post
I love the Hemi....insane power....sports car like acceleration.....passes everything but the gas station.....
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
This could be HUGE!!! I know you're keeping this on the down low but any idea of when you might have more info?
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valpacer
Could you explain what you mean by "Short front gears"?
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Valpacer

2007 WK 

4.11 gears for the front, gear sets are the same for ELSD or no elsd diffs.

No idea on more info, all i know at the moment is they are being tested in a WK. Im hanging out just as much! But if im lucky i may get a set to trial soon, but no guarantees.
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

4.11's would be nice! I think you may have just started the biggest thread in the WK section hahaha
BLACK WK CLUB #87

Quote:
Quote:
I love the Hemi....insane power....sports car like acceleration.....passes everything but the gas station.....
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Its out on FB now, so i guess i can say more!

Nitro Gear and Axle have been testing a set of 4.1's in their own WK, all good mechanically but they are still working on the computer side.
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valpacer

Nitro Gear and Axle have been testing a set of 4.1's in their own WK, all good mechanically but they are still working on the computer side.
Finally!!!!!! any idea on the price once they come out?
BLACK WK CLUB #87

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:

Great to hear! I just liked them on FB so I can stay informed. Thanks for the information. I think that's one of thie biggest hurdles with these jeeps, the electronics...it makes it a lot more difficult to modify at every turn. Hopefully they'll figure out a way!
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:

Great to hear! I just liked them on FB so I can stay informed. Thanks for the information. I think that's one of thie biggest hurdles with these jeeps, the electronics...it makes it a lot more difficult to modify at every turn. Hopefully they'll figure out a way!
Unread 09-26-2013, 03:57 AM   #14
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

For those with the AEV module, doesn't it have a selection for 4.11 gears?

WANTED: Steel Armadillo Sliders/Rock rails.
twistedlizard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:

Check this out! Right from Nitro Gear and Axle! They sent me a quote for a little under $800 for everything to do a regear, front and rear. I really wish they would do 4.56's or higher...to me I don't know if it's worth the effort and expense to go from 3.73 to 4.10's...I know it will help but how much. Well anyway hope this helps everyone and shows that there is interest out there for gearing options on the XK/WK's!

"Justin- Hello, Thank you for your inquiry. Short answer is yes, we do have a set of 4.10s available currently. This is a prototype/pre-production set from a test run which we are actually in process of having made now. We had two sets developed for testing to fit to vehicle, the first set is in our own Nitro Grand Cherokee with Diesel now. The front end is a Mercedes 8" IFS setup and we are the ONLY ones building gears for this. 4.10 is the only option at this time, and this is the ONLY gear available at this time. I have attached estimate here for the gears and bearing kits to do front and rear of the vehicle. There are a few things you need to know for install: -the rear gear uses metric bolts from factory. Our gear for rear end is dual-drilled and has both metric and SAE bolt holes. SAE bolts are included with the MK so for the rear, either re-use your 10mm bolts from factory, OR use the SAE bolts with the SAE holes in our dual-drilled gear. -on the front Mercedes 8.0 IFS setup-we supply bearings only. Shims are a dealer only item and are a snap-ring type setup which is based off width needed. They have a ton of different part numbers for these based on required width. If Factory shim width does not work, you will need to measure and get that specific ring from the dealer for install. -the factory computer controls a lot of parameters on this vehicle and needs attention with a gear swap. AEV is currently working on building a Pro-Cal unit, but it is not ready for release at this time. In the future, a Pro-Cal unit from AEV will be needed to get the vehicle to react appropriately to the different gear ratio and maintain drivability. Otherwise without it, vehicle will be in "limp" mode and stuck in 2nd gear. Currently it will MOST LIKELY be required to pull your factory TCM and send that to AEV to have them modify it then send it back and install. They had ours done in about a week and it is working fantastic in our diesel Grand. This is currently a brand new product we are bringing to market. This is the ONLY set available at this time. We are having 4.10s made in quantity which will be available to public hopefully in the not too distant future. We have no desire to build gears any deeper than 4.56 at this time, and even then, 4.56s are quite a ways out-not likely at least any time soon. Let me know if you have questions, happy to help if I can. Thank You and Have a great day!"

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.