Front differential mount bushings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Front differential mount bushings

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
LimitedHemi
2012 JK Wrangler 

Front differential mount bushings

Has anyone changed the front differential isolators themselves? I had some excessive play when I hit bumps and put the car in gear, and after looking around, I can clearly see the drivers bushing is wasted. I checked with the stealer and they want $640 to drop the diff and replace the bushings. I know they are pressed in, but I find it hard to believe that it takes a tech 6 hours with a lift to swap the bushings, nor that the diff has to come completely out. I have read in several places that you can unbolt the mount bolts and drive shaft and spin the diff to get access. They didn't mention, however, how difficult it was to bust the old one's out and press the new ones in. Anyone had any fun with these?

LimitedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
konarider94
2005 WK 

free bump, ive heard lots of talk about this bushing. no one has done it themselves?

2005 WK Limited 5.7L
245/75-17 goodyear silent armors
no lift, spacers, or cutting required
konarider94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

I may find out for myself this weekend.

My WK has a trashed mount. I don't think its more than an hour to get the diff 1/2 dropped but I was wondering the same thing. How hard is it to get the old one out and press the new one in?

Wondering If I could use a Ball Joint tool on it. Anybody?

Well if no one chimes in here I'll take pictures if I decide to repair this myself.
Unread 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
robpp

you use a PRESS to PRESS them in and out.

the dealer has a c-clamp like thingy he uses to push them out and push in new ones.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos

Last edited by robpp; 05-13-2010 at 05:42 PM..
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

So why wouldn't a Ball Joint PRESS work?

Does it require Tons of Force = Hydraulic Shop Press?
Unread 05-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
JMorash
2005 WK 

i know mine are worn. but havent looked yet. Are they made of rubber? and is there a way to possibly just shove some more rubber into the bushings.
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
LimitedHemi
2012 JK Wrangler 

They are rubber. I have looked around and haven't been able to to find any made of anything else such as polyurethane. These are one of 3 bushings that hold the front differential in place, so they receive a good amount of torque stress. I don't think shoving more rubber in there will have any beneficial impact.
LimitedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
brutusjeep
2006 WK 

Agree with LimitedHemi, you wont be able to put anything in there that will extend your situation. It will feel night and day different when they are changed though. I don't think you can manually push them out but I don't know for sure. I had someone else do it for me because of time.
2006 GC Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quad II. 4XGUARD Belly & Front (black powder coat) skid plates. Matrix front guard, PIAA Matrix mounted lights, 265/70 Nitto Trail Graplers MT, 1.5" Spider Trax spacers, Super Chips Tuner, OME MD Lift, 4XGUARD differential guard, JBA UCA'S.
brutusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
mattman0o0o
2005 WK 

if you look in the factory jeep service manual (you can find it on Scribd, just search for wk jeep), they say to drop the whole diff out of the car then they show using "Press C-4212F" which actually is just a ball joint separator kit you can rent at an auto zone. I plan on doing this bushing replacement this weekend. Although I'm going to try doing it with out removing the diff from the car first. I'll let you know how it goes.
mattman0o0o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
fnckr

Please could you take some pictures. It would be very helpful for us less brave and you'd get a bunch of good karma your way.
fnckr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
dcaprio
2005 WK 

I did this today and what a PITA! I actually had to replace the rear pinion bushing, not the front or pass side. It was very difficult. I opted to unbolt the front driveshaft and the three diff mounting bushings and rotate it around rather than pulling out the half shafts. That was the easy part. Getting out the old bushing, another story. I rented a huge ball joint press kit to try to press it out. It would not budge. I had to beat the crap out of it with a pry bar and after about an hour and a half of that it popped out, totally mangled. The ball joint press worked well to press in the new one. The pass side bushing was in fine shape as was the front so I left those. In total it took about 4 hours with a few breaks, lying on my back with my 14yo son helping out. Thanks Michael!!!!!

Drives so well now, very quiet front end, no more clunking so far. I will test more tomorrow and follow up then. If you take this on, Good Luck!

Sorry no pics of the job itself, spaced that. Here are a couple of pics of the old, worn bushing after removal:

'05 WK Limited 5.7L HEMI - 2" Rough Country Lift, LT245/75/17 Big-O A/Ts, Saguaro 4x Components 3/4" shackle mounts and antenna mount, Midland 1001Z CB radio, Firestik 3' antenna, Bilstein shocks, Stillen Metal Matrix pads and rotors, 4XGuard 12 Bolt Rear Differential Guard

Last edited by dcaprio; 05-30-2010 at 01:57 AM..
dcaprio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
brutusjeep
2006 WK 

Sooooo glad I did not try to do this myself now!
2006 GC Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quad II. 4XGUARD Belly & Front (black powder coat) skid plates. Matrix front guard, PIAA Matrix mounted lights, 265/70 Nitto Trail Graplers MT, 1.5" Spider Trax spacers, Super Chips Tuner, OME MD Lift, 4XGUARD differential guard, JBA UCA'S.
brutusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
mattman0o0o
2005 WK 

Sorry it took so long to reply, i did this project last weekend, my bushings looked identical to the pictures above when i was done getting them out. the rotating the diff idea does work, but there wasn't any way to press those old bushings out, i wound up using a saw and cutting the rubber out and then using a saws-all with a metal cutting blade, and cutting through the bushing while trying not to cut the differential its self, i jsut went really slow... the actuall pressing of the new bushings in was quite easy using a ball joint press from orielly auto parts. all in all i would never do this laying on the ground again and i would never recomend doing it if you have to lay on the ground (i.e. jack stands holding the car). If you have the ability to lift the car way up in the air on a lift this project would be a million times better and easier i have a feeling. on a side note, having 4 hands was helpfull too.
mattman0o0o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
fnckr

Hmmm, I may just pony up and have a Jeep mechanic do it.
fnckr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
cobrakillerta
2006 WK 

My WK has a ton of vibration at highway speeds and while changing the oil today I took a look around and could see that the bushing at the top of my front diff. is indeed worn out...Did anyone else on here have vibrations at highway speeds before replacing this bushing and after replacing did it take care of it?

I'll replace it either way, but just checking to see if I hsould try anything else out as well.
cobrakillerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.