Frequently Asked Questions: WK/XK - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Frequently Asked Questions: WK/XK

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 02-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #31
dMalice
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesWK View Post
2"-2.25" BB Tire options. - NOT Including the OME 3"

245/75/17 - No spacer or pinch weld mod required

255/70/17 - spacer optional (minor rubbing without) no pinch weld mod

265/70/17 A/T - No spacers, no pinch weld

265/70/17 AND 255/75/17 - M/T - Spacer required 1.5" or some people use 1/4" AND Pinch weld mod required.

33x12.5x17 - 1.5" Spacer, Pinch weld and rear fender modification required

Thanks for posting this. just to clarify, if the 265/70/17 does not require spacers or a pinch weld then neither would the 255/70/17... so with a 2" lift there's no rubbing or mods necessary up to a size 265/70/17- just not a 265/70/17 mud tire. I assume that other than with the stock size tire, all other sizes require the upper control arm bolt to be cut/trimmed...?

dMalice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #32
jshif003
2005 WK 

Just an FYI.... A new kit is entering the market... Rustys offroad 2.5" advanced kit. $499.99. The kit includess coils, struts, and shocks... Very comparable to the ome kits. I should receive a delivery tomorrow.... Pics and measurements soon to follow.
jshif003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #33
dMalice
2009 WK 

...back to the ever-present Tire size question, lol.

I assume that other than stock size, any larger sized tire (without a spacer installed) requires the upper control arm bolt to be cut... does anyone have a definitive answer as to what sizes require the bolt to be cut?

Also, what are you guys doing if you ever need to separate the ball joint? how do you remove that nut after the bolt is cut??
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #34
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a write-up around for the DIY MDS indicator light for the 5.7 liter?

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #35
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMalice View Post
...back to the ever-present Tire size question, lol.

I assume that other than stock size, any larger sized tire (without a spacer installed) requires the upper control arm bolt to be cut... does anyone have a definitive answer as to what sizes require the bolt to be cut?

Also, what are you guys doing if you ever need to separate the ball joint? how do you remove that nut after the bolt is cut??
depends what rim u are running, stock rim u will probably have to cut the bolt

im running a 17" rim with +10 offset and im about an inch away from the bolt with 255/75 BFG KM1's
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #36
snowdude1026
2008 WK 

Im about to get my Jeep all done up and lifted and pretty. I got the OME HD, and the 1.25" spacers. My tires I want are the goodyear duratecs 265/70/17 on the jeeps stock rims. Will I be needing a pinch weld mod done? If so, I hope the shop im going to knows how....

Also, this bolt issue I keep hearing about, how do I alleviate that? Or should I not even worry?
snowdude1026 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #37
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

You shouldn't have to worry about trimming the bolt if you're putting spacers on.

As far as the p/w - best bet is to see if you get any rubbing. Street wise other than sometimes at full lock particularly in reverse is the only time a rubbed and it was very minimal. On the trails it's different because the suspension is different places through it's travel and turning at the same time so rubbing will be an issue - how much of an issue just depends.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #38
dMalice
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
depends what rim u are running, stock rim u will probably have to cut the bolt

im running a 17" rim with +10 offset and im about an inch away from the bolt with 255/75 BFG KM1's

Sorry- I must have missed your reply- Thanks. yeah, that sounds right. After doing research and buying new tires, I figured out that it all comes down to the spacers/rim offset in determining the max AT tire size without any mods to your fender/pinch weld or control arm bolt. I would say without a spacer or different offset rim, the max size you can fit with a 2" lift is 255/65/17 [I]maybe[I] a 255/70/17. I have 255/65/17 Falkens and it's very close yet they aren't rubbing at all... but any larger and that bolt would need cutting.
By changing rims to a less positively offset rim such as what you did with the +10mm offset (stock wk's have a +50mm offset which places the tire under the bolt) it allows the tire to clear the control arm bolt without having to cut it. That is why Pintler AEVs are so popular- they look good AND have a +25mm offset which allows the tire to clear the bolt.
this is crucial to know, because the quick fix is to cut the bolt... but I cringe to think how one would ever replace the control arm ball joint without the hex on that bolt in order to actually remove it

(... Now, I just need to sell my 4 chrome clad caps so I can buy some Pintler +25mm offset rims before my next set of tires!)
Unread 05-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #39
ibeatmywk
2006 WK 

retreaded tires

any thoughts on them? a couple buddies have some from tread wright and they love them and havent had any problems. just trying to get some input before i buy tires.
ibeatmywk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #40
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeatmywk View Post
any thoughts on them? a couple buddies have some from tread wright and they love them and havent had any problems. just trying to get some input before i buy tires.
I think they're pretty reliable. Couple guys in my local Jeep club that have them and haven't had any issues. Only complaint one of the guys has is he wasn't able to choose the sidewall.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #41
njhomeowner

Is the "Maximum Deceleration" feature harmful to the transmission?

Hi,

Was reading the Owners manual of my '08 Limited the other day, looking for info on the operation of the "Autostick" as I live in a hilly area and thought it would be good to use these features when climbing and descending hills. I found this passage interesting

"NOTE: To select the proper gear position for maximum deceleration (engine braking), move the shift lever to the left “D(-)” and hold it there. The transmission will shift to the range from which the vehicle can best be slowed down."

After reading, I said wow that's cool - got to try it out and see if it works. Well I was not impressed - in fact I am now mildly paranoid about transmission damage. I was traveling at about 40 on a moderate hill and was in D then proceeded to hold the shifter to the left as instructed. Immediately the "D" changed to a 5 - indicating the gear I was in, then it shot to "1" and the engine jumped to 5,000 RPM - at least. It didn't feel abnormal, per-se, and there was no unusual drive line noise, banging, loss of control, etc. However anyone who has ever driven a strict manual would know never to do something like that, right? So why would the Automatic Trans do that as part of it's programming? Rest assured I will never try that feature again.

I have driven the truck a few times since then and it all seems OK, but this truck is my baby - the best car I ever owned (since the '98 TSI I had with 175K miles) - and I don't want to screw it up - especially when doing something the manual says is OK!

Has anyone tried this and gotten similar results?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by njhomeowner; 06-03-2012 at 01:51 PM..
njhomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #42
Anthony92x
2007 WK 

I'm pretty sure mine just knocks it into 1st gear. My gf hit it before and it went to first. Didn't like the engine sound for that and I try my best to avoid it.

07 WK 3.7 Bilstein hds, bored TB, K&N filter, RC 1.25in spacers, Kicker audio, Trail lights, 4prong plugs. Cree 7w reverse lights mostly blacked out.
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #43
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

What's the backspacing on the stock WK/XK wheels? I've got the chrome wheels on the XK and I want to put 265/70-17 tires on and not trim the bolt or use spacers. Anyone have definitive info so I can look for new wheels with appropriate backspacing?
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #44
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

And what's the stock width? Are they 7.5" wide?
Unread 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #45
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

After further research, I'm thinkin' they're 6" BS on the stock wheels. I think I'm gonna go with AEV Pintlers and 265/70-17 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.