Found three broken exhaust manifold studs (hemi) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Found three broken exhaust manifold studs (hemi)

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
WieSeL

Found three broken exhaust manifold studs (hemi)

Found three broken studs today. The ones that hold the shield on the back portion of the manifolds. Looks like I will be pulling those off this week. It looks like a pita on the driver side. Any tips? Not looking forward to this repair

WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

What chassis is this on? To answer your question, yes, let a co-worker do the job. Actually, both sides are a PITA, no matter which chassis you're dealing with. No real secrets, but the biggest problem might be getting the broken studs out. If it's a WK, you might try removing the plastic inner fender well. It doesn't help much, but does a little. Also, moving all the electrical stuff in the engine compartment (FCM and Fuse Panel) gives you a little more room to work. Best to just take your time, and try not to swear too much.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
giulio17

Yeah your going to go from up too and through the wheel well. It helps alot to get a miniature ratchet. If ur not getting new manifolds have them machined.
giulio17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
WieSeL

Wk btw. Don't think they're warped yet. IM not really hearing an exhaust leak yet. Won't hurt to send them off to get milled though. Not looking forward to this one. Have to do my front pinion mount diff bushing also. Probly be a whole days work at the shop, on my day off! Oh well
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
WieSeL

Does removing the steering intermediate shaft help like people mention?
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL View Post
Does removing the steering intermediate shaft help like people mention?
Yes. Tie down the steering wheel first before disconnecting the steering, thereby avoiding possible breakage of the clockspring (another $$$ PITA). Happened to the dealer when they replaced my driver's side exhaust manifold.

If you PM me, I will send you a pdf of the Mitchell's service procedure for changing the exhaust manifold on the WK. [Can't get it to load into this response.]
__________________________________________________ _______
"My Grand Cherokee isn't getting older...it's getting newer part-by-part."
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
WieSeL

Thanks. Alldata, I mean Nodata that I have at work doesn't say much of anything. Think IM gona do the passenger side today and driver next week. Now is the I-shaft splined or can it only go on one way?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.