Found this spliced wire under the hood, what is it for? - Diesel WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Found this spliced wire under the hood, what is it for? - Diesel WK

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Found this spliced wire under the hood, what is it for? - Diesel WK

About two month ago I bought this 07 WK diesel. I was looking under the hood today and found this cut wire. Anyone knows for what it is for? Anyone has a WK diesel wire diagram?

Everything looks like it is working fine but would like to know what it is for.

Thanks!

2011 WK2 HEMI 4x4 Overland
2007 WK CRD 4x4 Limited GDE Tuned
1998 TJ SE
1973 CJ5 - YJ OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires
1951 Willys truck
r_unda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

hmmm thats weird
no idea what it would be for
doesnt even look like there is enough slack to make it tight lol
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Test lead and hook it up
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
nostaw22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Call a dealer and ask... They may be able/willing to print you out a diagram if you visit the dealership.

JW
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
terrasmak
2007 WK 

On mine, it is connected. Hook a test lead to it and see what happens
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
TangoTango
2008 WK 

That is the FCM front-control-module and there was some kind of a recall for them. Maybe the recall was cut the purple wire?

I would NOT hook it back up if it was my vehicle. I would cap the wire off.

I do have the WK diesel wire diagrams. The wire diagrams don't help much as in "what is this wire for".... the are more geared toward "how is this wired" so you can look up a part and see how it is wired. So you might have to look at half the wire diagrams before you got to that wire.

PM me if you are interested in the diagrams.
TangoTango is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
suzieque
2008 WK 

it seems "VT/WT" color combo is used in many places on the vehicle. can you count the total wires on that plug? is it 16 total wires?

couple options are:
1) passenger door ajar light/switch - try driving away with the passenger side door slightly open, should be some light on the dash that says its open
2) transfer case neutral light - have a look at your manual and figure out how to change the transfer case in neutral, I've never had a need to do this, but I believe a light comes on near the handle.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Mine is not cut.
Best I can do is it's connector C104, that looks like position 7 Circuit G6 20VT/GY (Diesel) Oil Pressure Sensor Signal
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
TangoTango
2008 WK 

wookie has it ...

G6 20VT/GY OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL
TangoTango is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
suzieque
2008 WK 

Is violet with a white stripe? Or is it violet with a grey stripe? Looks violet with white stripe to me. Certainly don't want the oil pressure sending unit cut.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
wookie has it ...

G6 20VT/GY OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL
Everything makes sense now.

Long story sorry guys.

Back when I just purchased the WK I had the oil pressure light coming on, I took it to back to the dealer. The WK was there for about 3 weeks and they could not fix the problem. I took the jeep home (they said I could drive it without a problem). I was doing the oil change and noticed that the oil filter cap was broken (The tapered extension and O-ring boss wasn't there). When to the dealer got a new cap and this fixed the problem. You can read about it here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...07/index3.html

While I was doing the oil change I looked around the engine and noticed that the oil pressure sensor wires were spliced into the wires that are going directly to the computer under the battery. I didn’t think much about it then since I was excited that I fixed the problem by replacing the cap and I was able to finally drive my WK plus the sensor was still working (it was still sending the low pressure signal with the broken cap).

Anyways, I wonder what they bypassed, should I be worry? Everything looks to be working fine.

The shop that worked on it for the oil pressure light was Love Jeep Pre-owned in Corpus Christi. So if you have a Diesel near the Corpus Christi Area don’t take it there. The guys up front are really nice and helpful but I guess their tech don’t know how to work on the diesel WK.

1998 TJ SE
1951 Willys truck
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
Is violet with a white stripe? Or is it violet with a grey stripe? Looks violet with white stripe to me. Certainly don't want the oil pressure sending unit cut.
It is violet with a grey stripe

1998 TJ SE
1951 Willys truck
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is what I was talking about. I removed the battery to take a better look at the wires.

Here is the violet with gray wire. One of the oil pressure sensor wires is connected to the violet with gray wire going in to the computer with some type of resistor.

And here are other two spliced wires. One is gray with pink stripe and the other one is bright green. The remaining two wires from the oil pressure sensor are connected to them going into the computer.

I guess they thought that there was something wrong with the oil pressure sensor wire loom. Not crazy but I would have tried other things before starting to cut wires! Maybe like changing the oil and filter!! He would have noticed the broken cap!!

1998 TJ SE
1951 Willys truck
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
p3busman

Would have been nice if they would have used heat shrink splice connectors, to help keep moisture away from the wire.
p3busman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I would be a little pissed if a Jeep dealer did splicing in my Jeep....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.