Found Growling Noise(wheel hub bearing) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Found Growling Noise(wheel hub bearing)

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 04-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Apache100

Found Growling Noise(wheel hub bearing)

A couple of weeks ago i posted that i needed help with a growling or a waaaa noise from front end of my 06 Commander 4.7 when decelerating or coasting. when i would turn slight right noise would get louder. slight left it would stay the same. it would happen even while coasting in neutral. I suspected one of the wheel bearings was bad but with 70k didnt seem like alot for that issue. I thought it could have been a tran issue.

i bought 2 timkin wheel bearing hub assemblies for 110 each. i thought best to change both....took off wheel, brake caliper(dont let it hang), hub nut, rotor and after alot of persuading(pry bar, rust lubricant, hammer, cursing) i got off the wheel hub. Did the reverse to put new one on..test drive and the noise was gone. it was the left that was bad. i hope this can help someone with same noise help narrow it down

Apache100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
thompsgt
2005 WK 

I have a very similar issue, though, in the rear end. Found it to be on the left side of the rear and was told it would cost me roughly 600 to fix. Not real happy with that estimate. When changing these is it possible to just change the bearing or do you always have to change out then entire assembly and seal? Also can you shoot me a place to find the parts cheaper than at a shop. Thanks
thompsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
eprovenzano
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache100 View Post
A couple of weeks ago i posted that i needed help with a growling or a waaaa noise from front end of my 06 Commander 4.7 when decelerating or coasting. when i would turn slight right noise would get louder. slight left it would stay the same. it would happen even while coasting in neutral. I suspected one of the wheel bearings was bad but with 70k didnt seem like alot for that issue. I thought it could have been a tran issue.

i bought 2 timkin wheel bearing hub assemblies for 110 each. i thought best to change both....took off wheel, brake caliper(dont let it hang), hub nut, rotor and after alot of persuading(pry bar, rust lubricant, hammer, cursing) i got off the wheel hub. Did the reverse to put new one on..test drive and the noise was gone. it was the left that was bad. i hope this can help someone with same noise help narrow it down
I know this an old thread, but I just went through the same process for my 05 WK, 105K miles, so I just thought I'd ad my $.02...

I too had the dreaded wheel bearing growl. I could tell it was the passenger side, so I ordered two new timkin wheel bearing hub assemblies from Autoplicity.com (HA590036), for $125 each delivered. The hardest issue for me was to get the old hub off... At 1st I was trying to be gentle... but after I thought about it, the old hub will not get reused.... Out came the BIG F'in Hammer... once it moved a little... I drowned it in PB Blaster, and was able to persuade it (with the BIG F'in Hammer) to release its grip.

As Apache100 said installation is just the reverse process... just don't do as I did. I was putting the brakes on when I noticed I forget the dust shield... Damn it undo everything, remove hub, re-install with dust shield this time. Its not a "hard" job, just a little time consuming depending how difficult it is to get the old hub off. It took longer for me especially when you get to undo and redo your work because I forgot the dust shield. I was pressed for time so I just replaced the passenger side. I took it for a ride... its so quiet now I can hear the driver side is starting make a little noise. No big deal... I know the process and can swap it out in a few hours.

I hope this helps someone who is wondering if they should tackle this project themselves. This is definitely a driveway DIY project. All you need is basic hand tools. (although air tools does make it easier), a jack and jack stands. The only "special" item you may need is a 36mm socket for the axle nut. Other than that a standard metric socket set and you're good to go.
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
GreenWK
2008 WK 

I experienced this same problem on the passenger rear. Once fixed my mpg went up almost 2mpg and boy is the cabin quieter.
GreenWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
nocojeep
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprovenzano View Post
I know this an old thread, but I just went through the same process for my 05 WK, 105K miles, so I just thought I'd ad my $.02...

I too had the dreaded wheel bearing growl. I could tell it was the passenger side, so I ordered two new timkin wheel bearing hub assemblies from Autoplicity.com (HA590036), for $125 each delivered. The hardest issue for me was to get the old hub off... At 1st I was trying to be gentle... but after I thought about it, the old hub will not get reused.... Out came the BIG F'in Hammer... once it moved a little... I drowned it in PB Blaster, and was able to persuade it (with the BIG F'in Hammer) to release its grip.

As Apache100 said installation is just the reverse process... just don't do as I did. I was putting the brakes on when I noticed I forget the dust shield... Damn it undo everything, remove hub, re-install with dust shield this time. Its not a "hard" job, just a little time consuming depending how difficult it is to get the old hub off. It took longer for me especially when you get to undo and redo your work because I forgot the dust shield. I was pressed for time so I just replaced the passenger side. I took it for a ride... its so quiet now I can hear the driver side is starting make a little noise. No big deal... I know the process and can swap it out in a few hours.

I hope this helps someone who is wondering if they should tackle this project themselves. This is definitely a driveway DIY project. All you need is basic hand tools. (although air tools does make it easier), a jack and jack stands. The only "special" item you may need is a 36mm socket for the axle nut. Other than that a standard metric socket set and you're good to go.
Again reviving an older thread, but figured I would ask here instead of starting a new thread. I think this is what is going on with my WK, so if anybody could give me a yes or no that would be awesome. 2006 4.7 with 94k miles, it makes like a humming sound that I can only really hear at speeds under about 15 mph or while decelerating. It makes the noise while going straight, but almost sounds a little louder when turning. Is this due to a bad hub bearing? I have checked the wheel for play with it up in the air and there is none.
nocojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just looking for play in the wheel won't always indicate a worn bearing. Since it was asked earlier, according to the FSM, the wheel hub bearing assembly (key word - assembly) is not serviceable and must be replaced as a (key word) assembly.

Jack the Jeep up and slowly rotate the wheel that you suspect might have a bad bearing. Take the tires off and spin the hub by hand. You are trying to feel any resistance or vibration. Additionally, you can place your other hand somewhere on the coil spring to feel for a worn hub. An old-timer mechanic showed me this trick. He claims you will ALWAYS feel a worn hub in the coil spring.
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.