Forum newbie needs advice on LT245R17 on stock 2008 WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Forum newbie needs advice on LT245R17 on stock 2008 WK

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
RDRinCalgary
2008 WK 

Forum newbie needs advice on LT245R17 on stock 2008 WK

Apologies in advance - I'm new to the forum and might very well be asking a question that has already been beaten to death. Searching the forum found some information about this - but I didn't see anything that exactly matched my problem.....

I have a 2008 Grand Cherokee with the stock Goodyear Fortera HL P245/65R/17 tires. Rims and suspension are all stock. The tires have worked well, but I've had a few problems with punctures and they are worn (96,000 km on the vehicle).

I'd like to replace and upgrade the tires, and need some advice on fitment - have seen a few folks on the forum that have upgraded tires and there is some mention of cutting bolts, fender liner mods, etc. and I'd like to know what I'm getting into!

The tires I'm looking at are the new Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. I tow a camper trailer, drive a bit on rough gravel roads and needed the snow rating that the "Pro Grade" (LT) series has in this tire, so I'd like to go with an LT tire, specifically the LT245/70R/17.

To make a long story short, stock of these is non-existent in Canada (backordered until next January was one quote I got), so I ordered them from TireRack and they are on the way.

Now I'm really worried they are not going to fit. The concern I have is the bolt that sticks out of the bottom of the upper ball joint - I'm sure there are many on the forum that know exactly what I'm talking about.

My questions are: Will the LT245/R70/17 fit without modifications? If not, what mods would be required? As mentioned, I've read references to "bolt cutting" - is this as simple as cutting off the bottom of the bolt that sticks out of the upper ball joint? Are there risks with this?

Advice from those who have practical experience with this problem specifically would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!

RDRinCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

several people have put that size on standard rims and had no need for modifications, but you can't be 100% sure until you see them on your Jeep
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
zc911

i had 265/70/17s BFGs KM2s which have huge tread blocks, and they almost fit with no lift.

I doubt you will even have to cut the "bolt" (which is really no big deal and affects nothing)
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
jjt250
2007 WK 

I have 245/70r17 Duratracs. You don't need to modify or trim anything for them to fit. Mine don't rub at all, on or off road.
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
RDRinCalgary
2008 WK 

Thanks folks, this is reassuring.
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
I have 245/70r17 Duratracs. You don't need to modify or trim anything for them to fit. Mine don't rub at all, on or off road.
Pic?
jjarvis0007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
ttusqrl
2005 WK 

I had 245/70/17 Firestone Destinations on my Jeep for a LOOONNNGGG time. I, too, confirm that no mods are necessary with this tire size. I never once experienced rubbing at full lock, full articulation, anything. You should be perfect.
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarvis0007 View Post
Pic?

There's some more floating around the forum or I can post a couple more if ya want.
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
ttusqrl
2005 WK 

I know you didn't ask, but I found an old pic of the 245/70/17 desti's on the WK if this helps you see clearance.

Unread 10-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
RDRinCalgary
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
I know you didn't ask, but I found an old pic of the 245/70/17 desti's on the WK if this helps you see clearance.
Thanks, the photo is helpful. I also found a few of jjt250's photos from an earlier post that included a photo of the clearance between the tire and that infamous "bolt". I couldn't figure out how to copy the link here though.

The tires are supposed to arrive tomorrow, and will hopefully get installed next week. The advice I've received on the forum gives me some confidence that they'll go in no problem, but also that there's a chance they won't. We'll see soon enough!
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
ttusqrl
2005 WK 

I'll bet you a pint (locations withstanding) there are no issues.
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
RDRinCalgary
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDRinCalgary
Thanks, the photo is helpful. I also found a few of jjt250's photos from an earlier post that included a photo of the clearance between the tire and that infamous "bolt". I couldn't figure out how to copy the link here though. The tires are supposed to arrive tomorrow, and will hopefully get installed next week. The advice I've received on the forum gives me some confidence that they'll go in no problem, but also that there's a chance they won't. We'll see soon enough!
All right, but it might have to be a "virtual" pint - don't get that far south too obtain!
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
RDRinCalgary
2008 WK 

Update: the new tires were installed this week and they fit well with no rubbing and no modifications. In fact, I would say they actually look better than the stock tires - fit the wheel wells out better.

So, another question I have: does anyone on the forum with experience of running LT tires on a WK have recommendations on tire pressure? The vehicle placard says 33 psi. I used to run the old P rated tires at 36 psi, on the recommendation of a tire shop. The new LTs are rated at max 80 psi. The tire tech said there isn't really a "correct" pressure, that it depends on use (primarily weight when towing, traction on snow or sand) and personal preference as to the firmness of ride. He set the initial pressures at 50 psi. I found this was ok for ride, but seemed to make the steering a little too responsive. I dropped them down to 40 psi today just to tru them, and found the steering a little more comparable to what I was used to with the Ps at 36 psi. Is this all there is too it?
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
ttusqrl
2005 WK 

I like 40-42 on LTs but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
jjt250
2007 WK 

I run 35 in mine. 40 if I'm towing frequently.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.