Folks with HID (Xenon) headlights (08) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Folks with HID (Xenon) headlights (08)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
gsxr150

Folks with HID (Xenon) headlights (08)

Hey guys, I went with the HID's in my new 2008. Initial impressions are they are pretty nice. I like the autoleveling and the brightess up close, but they I swear they don't have the nice long reach my old headlights had. In fact I dare to say my hologen's seemed brighter!? Not as white but brighter... I'm wondering if I should aim them up just a bit. Did you guys notice that they seem slightly low? Also, is there a brighter bulb available, or are they all just different colors?

Again, maybe I'm just not used to them yet...

Thanks.

gsxr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
madrabbitt

you cant really aim the autoleveling ones yourself, it aims for you.
You may consider trying a new set of bulbs, but they're expensive. Also, OEM's tend to be around the brightest lumen output anyway.

The way the reflector is designed, is for a sharp cutoff. Most halogens tend to be kinda fuzzy on the cutoff, and that may be what you're used to.

They do make brighter bulbs, at 50 watts compared to your 35, but it would require replacing the bulb and ballasts, and thats pretty expensive, plus you probably would not be legal in some states.

Is this highway or city driving you're having issues with. My best suggestion, if its highway, is to get a very good quality set of long range lights installed to compliment the HIDs.

Also, some people who first start driving with HID's notice a perceivable loss of depth at night, and they mistake it for decreased range. That may be it.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
gsxr150

I think you nailed it on the head! "Also, some people who first start driving with HID's notice a perceivable loss of depth at night, and they mistake it for decreased range." That's exactly what it feels like...for example if their was a small animal crossing the road I felt like I would have seen it with the old headlights. Now I'm not sure I would? It's mostly city driving on semi-dark roads.

What do you mean "perceivable loss of depth"? Are you saying it's still there but I can see it? Tell you what though, when I pull in the garage it's amazing how bright and white the light is. It's crazy....time will tell. Bottom line is I would still would have gone with the HID's for the cool factor.
gsxr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
madrabbitt

Best way i can describe it, is that it seems like everything is less three dimensional.

Ironically, with all my experience on the subject of HID's, i've never actually driven a vehicle with them, long term. Mostly just test drives, and thats usually late evening at the darkest.

I have my conversion sitting at my parents house (Full conversion, with projectors DESIGNED around hid bulbs, rather then just a cheap retrofit) but I need to get new bulbs for them, as the pre-install testing managed to blow both bulbs when a wire was crossed in the stupid ebay harness.

The loss of depth has mostly to do with the fact that halogen bulbs have a wide color spectrum (ie they're throwing out alot of different colors of light all mixed together) and hid bulbs have a very narrow color spectrum.

Best thing to do, honestly, is to add some additional color to the spectrum.

If your 08 has fog lights, which i'm sure it does, try turning them on with your low beams, and see if that changes anything. If not, you can take one of two more drastic options
1. Replace your fog bulbs with something with a lower color temprature to create a high contrast between the two beams. Get QUALITY amber bulbs (no japan imports, no PIAA, no auto store cheapies) like hella dichrotic bulbs, and see how that works.
2. Get a good set of quality amber fog or driving lights. Again, quality matters.

The one solution that works really really well, and i've done this on two vehicles with HID already, is a pair of Hella Micro DE lights (these are very small, projector lights) in the long range pattern, and drop a set of Hella amber diacrotic bulbs in there. That'll give you a very long range (probably longer then your low beams anyway) beam, with little to no glare to other motorists (therefore allowing you to leave them on full time) that contrasts fully with the color of the HID bulbs.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 06-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
----

gsxr150: Check out this thread over on SRT-Forums. http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7291
I would recommend 6500-7000k bulbs, if you're looking for a more permeable color on the ground.

madrabbit:

Boy,
All of that insight and useful experience, only to muck it up with this:

Quote:
PS: Yes, you really are an idiot if you install HIDS in stock housings.
Evidently, you don't know as much as you claim regarding these bulbs. Most 'idiots' refuse to measure their bulb height before making the purchase.

--This one is on the house.
---- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
mister17_5_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
PS: Yes, you really are an idiot if you install HIDS in stock housings.

lol really???
mister17_5_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Oh DSL View Post
gsxr150: Check out this thread over on SRT-Forums. http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7291
I would recommend 6500-7000k bulbs, if you're looking for a more permeable color on the ground.

madrabbit:

Boy,
All of that insight and useful experience, only to muck it up with this:

Evidently, you don't know as much as you claim regarding these bulbs. Most 'idiots' refuse to measure their bulb height before making the purchase.

--This one is on the house.
Um. I have SAE certifications on gaseous discharge lighting, and headlight design. So yes, I do know as much as I claim.

And WTF are you saying. My sig statement refers to the glare you get when you try to install HID bulbs in stock reflectors that are designed around a halogen bulb and its stock filiment location.

Bulb height has little to nothing to do with it.

Unread 06-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister17_5_9 View Post
lol really???
ANd i've explained why over and over and over. Go search any of my involvement in any thread involving retrofitting HIDS.

I'll summarize. Stock halogen housings, especially free form housings found on newer vehicles, are designed around very strict tolerances, in having the focal point directly on the filament of a standard bulb. Retrofitting a HID bulb, even one thats re-based to fit the housing, creates a large amount of glare, because the gas chamber that the arc is created in, is larger in size then the filament, therefore, some of the light is outside the focal point, and is reflected outside the desired beam.

And I have no idea why it matters in THIS particular thread, because the OP's HID's are OEM installed HID's.

Unread 06-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
----

Thank you for pointing this out

Quote:
gas chamber
-This is the height area to which I was referring.

I'm glad to know there's a member present with a certification such as yours. I was merely pointing out the "glare" in your sig as it quite obviously is intended to evoke a negative response. In retrospect I was complimenting you on the advice given above and was struck by the conflict of your valid knowledge and crass signature closing.

If we're trying to educate others on this forum (which we are), then lets do so in a positive manner, yes?

--Sorry for stealing your thread, gsxr150.
---- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
madrabbitt

i started a new thread in the correct section... but i totally got distracted by my tuna melt to link it in my sig. LOL.

it even has a lousy photoshop drawing showing what i mean.

I'll link it now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.