Fog Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Fog Lights

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 07-28-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
code4code5
2006 WK 

Fog Lights

My 06 WK doesn't have fog lamps and in looking for factory systems, a couple places say "comes with automatic headlights." Does this mean automatic as in on at dusk and off at dawn or syncd with wipers? Just curious, 'cause auto on and off would be great!

code4code5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by code4code5
My 06 WK doesn't have fog lamps and in looking for factory systems, a couple places say "comes with automatic headlights." Does this mean automatic as in on at dusk and off at dawn or syncd with wipers? Just curious, 'cause auto on and off would be great!
I think you're talking about the smartbeam headlights. Smartbeam is just Jeep's name for automatic headlights, but they do have a couple of twists to them. You can set the lights to go on with the wipers (or not...your choice), the fogs do go on and off with the headlights (if you have the foglight switch turned on), and if you enable it, the headlights will switch automatically between low beam, high beam, and multiple levels inbetween depending on ambient light conditions. It works well...from the driver's seat, all I notice is very good, consistent lighting regardless of whether there is oncoming traffic, street lights, or no other lights around at all.

But....I don't think that the smartbeam setup can be retrofitted. There are a few sensors on the rear view mirror, attached to the windshield by the rear view mirror, and on the top of the dash (not sure what each one does, but one or two of them have to be associated with smartbeam), and those would probably be REALLY expensive to add on. I'm hoping that my windshield never needs to be replaced, because with those sensors on there, that has to be an astronomically priced windshield!

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
code4code5
2006 WK 

Thanks for the info.
code4code5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.