Fluids and spark plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Fluids and spark plugs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Fluids and spark plugs

I bought my Jeep used with 74k miles on it, and I'm now at 76k and have noticed a few things:

A) It takes a little effort to start up, spark plugs?

B) It occasionally shifts gears rough, usually when I pull my foot off the gas and I'm coasting and it down shifts

C) It's a dog when going up even the slightest hill and I really have to push it hard

D) The gas mileage is terrible! It's a 3.7 and I'm getting 12.5 in the city and 16 on the highway....and I'm not driving it hard, I'm very easy on the gas

I figure I might as well go and get everything serviced at once, such as the fluids and spark plugs and so on...however can anyone give me some pointers? I don't think the spark plugs have ever been replaced and I read that the rough gear shifting could be a sign to replace the transmission fluid? I was thinking of SeaFoaming it before taking it into get the Oil changed, however I've never really worked on a car (I'm 16) and my dad is currently deployed so I can't ask for his help. It's just me.

2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Did the seller give you any maintenance records of any sort when you bought it? If not and you think the spark plugs are still the original It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and swap them out. I just swapped mine out last weekend and I can feel a big difference, I have the hemi but you should still see a nice difference if they are the original plugs!
BLACK WK CLUB #87

LOOKING TO BUY: 4XGUARD SKIDS, SUPERCHIP 3870/3872, CATCH CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Jeep's prefer the company of other Jeep's over that of other vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imann View Post
I love the Hemi....insane power....sports car like acceleration.....passes everything but the gas station.....
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Also I would check the fluids too. If you didn't get any maintenance records they may not have even done the 60k mile service
BLACK WK CLUB #87

LOOKING TO BUY: 4XGUARD SKIDS, SUPERCHIP 3870/3872, CATCH CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Jeep's prefer the company of other Jeep's over that of other vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imann View Post
I love the Hemi....insane power....sports car like acceleration.....passes everything but the gas station.....
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Yeah I didn't get any of the service records, I'm thinking I should just go ahead and get all the fluids done at once, after I go out and check them tomorrow morning. Would the fluids explain the rough downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear when my foots off the gas?
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
JRLT
2010 WK 

Did my fluids at 48k and they werent bad but it was a piece of mind thing for me.

Reset your MPG on your EVID cause its probably estimating from factory and not your driving habits.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
caulk04
2008 WK 

Reset the avg mileage every time you fill up.

I've found that ours reads no more than .2 (yes POINT2) MPG higher than actual mileage. Whether I'm getting 10.8 towing in the hills, 15.5 average driving or 18.2 all highway, it's basically dead on. If you let it figure an average for ever, it won't be accurate. Reset each time.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.