Floor jack question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Floor jack question.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
slayerized6

Floor jack question.

I actually feel pretty stupid for asking this question.... I have a 2 ton floor jack. I just recently bought an 08 WK (4738 lbs). Should I be fine with this jack?

Unread 08-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
I actually feel pretty stupid for asking this question.... I have a 2 ton floor jack. I just recently bought an 08 WK (4738 lbs). Should I be fine with this jack?
Yes since it only lifts 25 percent of the jeeps weight when used as intended and 50 percent if tou jacl an entire end up

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
I routinely use this capacity for one wheel on my '08 WK.

Only thing to watch is not positioning yourself under the load with a hydraulic jack. They have a nasty tendency to leak slowly when you are not watching.

If you are doing extended work, I recommend a jackstand as a precaution.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

You will be fine - the real limiting factor will be how tall the jack will go. Cause once you lift it that's something to consider. ;-)

Seriously though, a 2ton jack will work well for you and Walt is right - always use jackstands when you do anything outside of maybe tire rotations.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
slayerized6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Yes since it only lifts 25 percent of the jeeps weight when used as intended and 50 percent if tou jacl an entire end up

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum
Thats what I thought. I felt like my jack hesitated a little before, but it felt better once I changed the jacking location (my driveway is also not the best)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I routinely use this capacity for one wheel on my '08 WK.

Only thing to watch is not positioning yourself under the load with a hydraulic jack. They have a nasty tendency to leak slowly when you are not watching.

If you are doing extended work, I recommend a jackstand as a precaution.
I got more than enough jackstands. I will probably end up having to buy new ones once I lift the Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
You will be fine - the real limiting factor will be how tall the jack will go. Cause once you lift it that's something to consider. ;-)

Seriously though, a 2ton jack will work well for you and Walt is right - always use jackstands when you do anything outside of maybe tire rotations.
Has a 24'' max lift. I could probably throw a few blocks of wood on it too and get more out of it it need be.
Unread 05-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
fairway551
2006 WK 

If I want to use the floor jack to lift one side of the Jeep and rotate the tires, where do you suggest that I place the jack?
fairway551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^ I put my floor jack right under where the crossmember bolts to the unirail on the side I'm rotating. Front to back ---> back to front. Switch sides - same thing. Put 3 lugs on the rears. Put the jack under the pumpkin --------swap rear driver/passenger sides. Put the Jeep on the ground, torque the lugs, done. Takes maybe 30 minutes with a good floor jack, impact, and torque wrench.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.