Flashpaq 3875 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Flashpaq 3875 questions

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
abajoczky
2007 XK Commander 

Flashpaq 3875 questions

I have a 2007 4.7L XK, and bought a used Flashpaq 3875. The main reason I bought it was for the transmission tune benefits, and hoping to get firmer shifts for towing and to hopefully keep the wear down on my tranny. I'm also planning on adding some 255 or 265's soon and surely it would be beneficial for that as well. After searching the forums, I understand that the advance trans app is another $40 that I'll have to buy during an update. I did an update right when I bought it, but I know I would not have spent the extra $40 at that time. However, I think I saw shift settings available when I had it plugged in and scrolling around. Here are my questions before I update it again and spend $40.

Will it actually allow me to increase shift firmness while keeping the stock tune to continue towing with 87 octane? I'm looking for crisp, quick shifts to eliminate the extra wear associated with the stock long, smooth shifts. Both for towing and to extend my tranny's life for everyday driving.

If so, can somebody give me a crash course on what to set the different options to? I'm leery of the trial and error method and this tuner because shortly after getting it and changing the tune a couple times, my FDCM went completely haywire and had to be replaced...coincidence, IDK...

abajoczky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

IIRC, you can run SC's canned trans schedules without buying the extra app. Not positive as I immediately went for the ATT app and have gone through well over a dozen tweaked iterations to get it how I want. Might as well try the canned tune before going whole hog...

I'd offer my schedule to you, but it likely wouldn't do you much good as I have it tuned to maximize MDS on time at light throttle. Different game plans needed for the different engines.
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I may be able to help you a little, as I've been running the SC ATT App. for nearly 40,000 miles on my Hemi WK, but never with the 87 tune. I have too many performance mods, so it would not be viable for me. FWIW, here's a few tidbits for you:
1. I would highly recommend you add the Sonnax Line Pressure Booster first. It's increases the line pressure which increases the clutch "clamping" force, thereby avoiding some of the slippage that occurs with the soggy stock upshifts. Here's where I bought mine: http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-044957lb2.htm
2. If you're doing a lot of towing, the ATT App. should be worth its weight in gold for you. It will give you full and complete control over all up and downshifts, as well as the torque management for all upshifts. The only thing you have to do is figure out how you want to set everything. This can be intimidating, and you can just tinker around until you stumble onto the setting you want. But if you take your time, graph your stock up/down shifts, and then graph them the way you want them, you'll be able to get a better understanding of the how's and why's of what you're trying to achieve.
3. In general, you'll probably want to raise the upshift points, make the downshift points a little more sensitive to throttle application (downshift without lugging the engine), and reduce the upshift torque management percentages to a point that firms up the shifts to suit your needs and desires. In some cases (i.e. the 2-3 upshift) you'll probably end up setting the TM to 0%, and it still won't be firm enough. If you're like me you'll continue tweaking some of the settings as you see fit. Even after about 3 years, I still fool with mine every once in a while.
4. There are also other options such as shift kits and reworked valvebodies, but these require a little transmission interal work. If you're into that, you may also want to look into those.

Good luck, and let us know how it all goes for you. I will be happy to share my experiences with you but, IMO, the most important thing with the ATT App. settings is to understand (by initial graphing) the relationships of the up/downshifts and how/why they work the way they do. Not as bad as you might think once you get into it.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
abajoczky
2007 XK Commander 

caulk, guess I'll just have to plug it back up to the Jeep and see what the canned tranny tunes are now that I've read up in more detail about the Flashpaq. Usually something I do BEFORE I buy something, but guess not this time, haha.

grandoneer, thanks for the write up. A couple questions/comments here:
1. The Sonnax looks like a great addition, thanks! I was thinking I would be able to increase line pressure through the SC, but that's simple plug and play for $50 definitely seems worth it.
2. I do like to understand what's going on and why. When graphing your shift points, I assume you graphed RPM vs MPH. Did you just do it for WOT? If not just for WOT, how did you control your throttle percentage input when doing the driving/data collecting, or is it only necessary to collect the data a WOT since it uses RPM, MPH, and throttle position to determine shifts? Also, particularly for towing, I assume the goal is to set those shift points based on the torque curve for my 4.7?
4. I'm sticking to maintenance and the simple bolt-ons. Don't have the facilities for tranny internals, nor the available down time on my DD. Maybe I'll look into having a shift kit put in with the next fluid change.

Now a couple more questions that aren't in response to your previous answers:
Once I set/alter shift points, what effect will the tow/haul feature have on those shift points that I have set?
Once I create some custom shift points, can it be saved for easier changing/programming? So say I want to save a setting I like, then create a different one, making it easier to return to a saved setting.

I'm an engineer and like the technical stuff, but I'm a civil engineer. Just cutting my teeth on the mechanical stuff, so sorry if these are dumb questions. Bear with me.
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I never even tried the canned tranny tunes, so I can't comment on them. I was pretty sure that, with my mods. (see signature) they wouldn't be what I was after. When you get the ATT App. you may want to give them a try though to see if there is one close to what you're after.

IMO, the Sonnax unit is well worth the $50. I've added nearly 100 hp. and, knock on wood, haven't had a hint of a problem....and I give the Hemi "liberal exercise" on a daily basis.

On the graphing, unlike the Diablosport Tuners (I have one of those too), the Superchips ATT App. shift points are based on miles per hour, whereas the DS unit bases them on RPM. The DS unit only allows you to modify the 1-2 and 2-3 upshift points and does not allow for torque management adjustments. Too bad. Anyway, I based my graphs on a couple Superchips beta graphs that I got my hands on, and went from there. Once you download the App. you'll see that they are based on throttle position and miles per hour, so this is the way my graphs are set up. I use throttle position on the vertical axis and miles per hour on the horizontal axis. The App. will give you the various throttle positions and their corresponding mile per hour up/downshift points and, yes, I did both light and wide open throttle. The first thing I did was to write all the figures (including torque management %ages, which are for your reference) down and then make a graph for the stock settings. Then I went about my normal driving and made notes of what I didn't like (up/down shift points, and torque management), and also noted where I thought I'd like the settings to be. Then graph them too. Pay particular attention to the downshifts, as the closer the lines are together, the more sensitive they are to the slightest change in throttle position. Do not overlap up and downshift schedules for the same gear.

As far as where to set the shift points, IMO, it's pretty hard to set them (light throttle upshifts) to correspond to the torque curve, as maximum torque is probably achieved slightly above 4000 RPM. About all you can do is get them closer to the bottom end of the curve. As a side note, I advanced the aftermarket cam in a effort to move the torque curve a little lower than it would have been when installed "straight up". I've done this with 3 vehicles now and had good results on all three. On the tow/haul shift points, I left them alone (don't even know if you can change them), as they seem to be higher than the way I would probably set them.

If there is a way to save multiple settings, I haven't found it.....but then again I haven't looked for it. I write them all down. While I got pretty close on the first try, as I said, I am continually tweaking some of the settings. Over the past 3 years or so, I've done about 15 different "renditions", usually making only a few changes to each. I date them and make notes on the goods/bads of each. I said earlier to jot down the stock torque management settings. When you start messing with them, there are several ways you can do it. I opted for lowering the settings in ~10-15% increments, but I guess you could drop them all to zero and work up from there, as needed. Just remember, the higher the gear, the lower torque management. If you zero out the 1-2 light thottle shift, it'll probably snap your head off. I think for your towing you'll probably try to reach a happy medium for driving around town and towing. Since towing the trailer will generally require higher throttle positions, you may also be able to keep the around town shifts (without the trailer) fairly civil and just firm up the settings for the higher throttle openings. I haven't tried doing that, but I am sure you could set it that way. Tinker time for sure. I think this would be lots of fun to mess with.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #6
caulk04
2008 WK 

http://www.mcfail.net/superchips/

There is a database full of schedules and a bit of information on the ATT app. Download a couple of the shift schedules and study them, you'll get a feel for how they work. Pretty much all of those are for trucks though, so they won't be of direct use since the vehicle weight and final drive ratio aren't the same. The general graph shape will help out though.

I took the graph and subbed in my throttle percentages (they vary year to year) and keep a running folder full of my variations. If you're interested in seeing some of mine, I'll be happy to email you a few of the Excel files. Just remember that they probably won't be as ideal for you as they are for me.

As for the sonnax, I opted to build one myself the same way that Transgo does it with their kit. Much cheaper, requires a tiny bit of soldering. If you look it up, they want you to tie into the line pressure sensor at the transmission, I opted to tie into the same wires up at the PCM where there won't be road grime and salt to corrode the wiring.

Lots of time can be spent on this project and I rather enjoy making it work just the way I want. That said...time to hit the road and go to work.
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
abajoczky
2007 XK Commander 

Awesome link, thanks caulk. I bookmarked that link and will check it out in more detail while I'm not at work.
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
abajoczky
2007 XK Commander 

I messed around with all the monitoring/data collection today. Good stuff there. But my SC wouldn't display a value at all for trans fluid temp, like it didn't have the capability to read the temp. Also, I plugged it in to update it with the Spark Updater software, and there's no Advanced Trans Tuning option for me to buy. After the update completes I only have 3 options: TPMS Off-Road Package, Data Acquisition, (both free), and VIN Unlock for $100. No Advanced Trans Tuning package available for purchase.
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
caulk04
2008 WK 

The trans temp doesn't show up. I think it has to be activated by the dealer or something like that...I don't worry about it. The trans will start to shift differently as the temp rises, the computer changes the shift schedule when it reaches a certain temp, then it will tell you it's hot when you really need to back off.

Have you programmed a tune into the jeep? I think it must have a tune on it to allow purchase of the ATT app, or use of it for that matter.
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
abajoczky
2007 XK Commander 

Yep, just figured that out. Uploaded a tune and now the app shows up for purchase.

I thought the trans temp feature would be nice to monitor temperature while I have the boat in tow. Constantly be able to keep an eye on it instead of just waiting for it to tell me it's hot.

EDIT: Bought the ATT app and now it doesn't recognize any updates to be loaded to the tuner. This dang thing has been nothing but hassles since I bought it trying to get it to work right.

Last edited by abajoczky; 11-12-2013 at 07:30 PM..
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
caulk04
2008 WK 

Dunno, check out the superchips forum. It's pretty slow but there are knowledgeable people there
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
abajoczky
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Dunno, check out the superchips forum. It's pretty slow but there are knowledgeable people there
Yeah, I registered earlier this year and can't remember my username and password and without knowing at least the username can't get my password reset, haha. My fault there I guess. But also registered again on 2 different email accounts and it hasn't sent me the activation. Sent and email to the tech help people. Dang this company and tuner is frustrating the living daylights out of me.
Unread 12-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
BigCanoe

I ended up having to send mail to Ron @ superchips (hes all over the forums) and he was able to activate my account. The email never showed up
Unread 12-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
murderedoutGC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
http://www.mcfail.net/superchips/

There is a database full of schedules and a bit of information on the ATT app. Download a couple of the shift schedules and study them, you'll get a feel for how they work. Pretty much all of those are for trucks though, so they won't be of direct use since the vehicle weight and final drive ratio aren't the same. The general graph shape will help out though.

I took the graph and subbed in my throttle percentages (they vary year to year) and keep a running folder full of my variations. If you're interested in seeing some of mine, I'll be happy to email you a few of the Excel files. Just remember that they probably won't be as ideal for you as they are for me.

As for the sonnax, I opted to build one myself the same way that Transgo does it with their kit. Much cheaper, requires a tiny bit of soldering. If you look it up, they want you to tie into the line pressure sensor at the transmission, I opted to tie into the same wires up at the PCM where there won't be road grime and salt to corrode the wiring.

Lots of time can be spent on this project and I rather enjoy making it work just the way I want. That said...time to hit the road and go to work.

I would be interested in some of those schedules if you don't mind.....im not one for tinkering and just setting it and seeing what it does as im paranoid in it messing something up and don't need costly repairs or a motor/tranny replacement lol.

what kind of driving do you do(just so I know what you are trying to get out of your schedules)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abajoczky View Post
Yeah, I registered earlier this year and can't remember my username and password and without knowing at least the username can't get my password reset, haha. My fault there I guess. But also registered again on 2 different email accounts and it hasn't sent me the activation. Sent and email to the tech help people. Dang this company and tuner is frustrating the living daylights out of me.
I ended up calling them and telling them what the issue was and they loaded it on there for me and updated everything free of cost. So I got the ATT app for free, great customer service, you just have to ask for it.
Black Wk Club MEMBER #144
murderedoutGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.