Fixing Damaged Caliper Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Fixing Damaged Caliper Help

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Fixing Damaged Caliper Help

Getting some serious brake noise. Replaced rotors, pads, still noise. Need to check my dust shields for being bent - but this weekend I had the pads off and I noticed on 2 of the calipers, several of the pistons were damaged. On the face of the piston that touches the brake pad, there are "chunks" missing. I have no idea if this would cause noise, but I'm assuming it should be fixed. I understand I can just replace the pistons and seals without replacing the entire caliper assembly. Can anyone explain how that is done? Thanks.

jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

You can search google or you tube on how to rebuild calipers and replace the pistons. It might just be cheaper to buy rebuilt calipers though.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I see that now. Looks like the caliper assemblies are like $30 (after core) from rockauto. But the pistons are only $9. Hmmm....
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
bersh
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrett View Post
Yea I see that now. Looks like the caliper assemblies are like $30 (after core) from rockauto. But the pistons are only $9. Hmmm....
I've been down that road before and for the few extra bucks it's worth just replacing the caliper. You could try some high temp silicone on the piston faces as that can help.
bersh is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.