First time doing oil change on a 08 CDI - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > First time doing oil change on a 08 CDI

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Why Buy Brakes From 1A Auto?ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
MarvinTm
2008 WK 

First time doing oil change on a 08 CDI

it was not as bad as i first thought. had a few hiccups but easy fixes.
the funnest thing i found was i got the oil and filter right from the Mercedes dealer in town and it was way cheaper then everyone else "who" carried the right oil.

will be saving myself at least $100 every time

MarvinTm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Nice! It's not too hard as long as you know the correct procedure.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
ggrassmid

I do mine myself also. I use Amsoil: changed filter at 7500 miles, and will change oil/filter at 15,000 miles. I have also gotten the oil tested at the 7500 mile mark after purchasing my GC. My next oil analysis will be with brand new untouch Amsoil oil along with my 15,000 mile oil and see what it looks like and if I should change to 5,000/10,000 intervals.

Good luck!
JF Black WK Club #168
ggrassmid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #4
TangoTango
2008 WK 

how do you get your oil tested?
Black WK Club #147
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #5
pawwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
how do you get your oil tested?
blackstone - they'll send you the bottle and such. Very cheap, overall. I can't remember the price but somewhere around $20.00?? I think..
pawwright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #6
ggrassmid

yes, Blackstone in Indiana. Cost $20-$30. I think I paid the $30 to get something extra tested. They do give you recommendations on change intervals also. I attached mine. I changed my oil to Amsoil right after I bought it. This analysis is after 7500 miles on that oil when I only changed the filter. At 15,000 I will change oil and filter, get tested for the 15k oil and also send in a sample of clean unused Amsoil. You will see that made a note about the viscosity, but looking up Amsoil's specs, the viscosity is in range to that. Conveniently attached for your review.

Blackstone Test Price
File Type: pdf 08 Jeep CRD.pdf (137.9 KB, 5 views)
JF Black WK Club #168

Last edited by ggrassmid; Yesterday at 10:26 PM.. Reason: Removed PDF that was corrupted
Unread Yesterday, 10:12 PM   #7
TangoTango
2008 WK 

thanks,

the 2nd document doesn't open up though.

i know the truckers look at these.. but I really don't know how to read them. Like your oil is low on calcium what does that mean? .. or the main issue to me is how do I tell when I will need to change it out?
do you take (2) readings then use that as a base line?
Black WK Club #147
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #8
ggrassmid

Sorry, not sure how/why the pdf got corrupted (removed now). You can look it up on Amsoil site. I use the European Low SAPS formula, which has the correct Merc spec oil.

Yes, this posted reading would be my baseline; though technically I should have had the new oil tested as clean baseline and then have my dirty oil tested. Since I did not think of that first, I will be having that added to my tests the next samples I send in. That way I have a baseline of unused new oil compared to what happened after running 7500 & 15000 miles on it. Then if I need/want to adjust to 5/10k I can do that.
The silicon in my sample is high compared to averages, which does make sense a little has I did do some offroading with my jeep and one day included sand dunes here in Michigan. Amoils data sheet doesn't show all the particulate data, so their oil could have a bit higher silicon in it than convention also. Hence the clean new oil baseline I need to get. Blackstone made a note of the viscosity, but looking at Amsoil's data sheet, I am on target. So it will be interesting to see a clean unused sample data compared to used oil on this.

I dont want to open up a quart to take the sample out and not use the oil until later, that is why I am waiting till my next oil change.
JF Black WK Club #168

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.