First Self Oil Change,pressure light OFF afterwards, next day is ON? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > First Self Oil Change,pressure light OFF afterwards, next day is ON?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #1
Reaper3-1A
2005 WK 

First Self Oil Change,pressure light OFF afterwards, next day is ON?

Posted here a once before with a new thread and i got help last time so thanks, but yes i am still a hardcore noob so im sorry...
I have a '05 WK with the 4.7L.

Bought it back in mid-June this year 6-14-14 to be exact.
Prev. owner said they did an oil change 'not too long ago' when i was looking around before test drive. The low oil pressure light and check engine light were on, but i figured it wasn't all bad because it ran like a dream in the test drive, so i was sold on it anyway (that and I really wanted a JEEP!!!)

Yesterday night i bought 2 5QT jugs of Mobil 1 5W-30 oil and a new Mopar oil filter, (they didn't have K&N, so i got best that was there).

I popped off the plug, and drained the oil into a pan, and then put it in 2 gallon containers ill recycle at the auto store later this week (obviously not on Xmas).

After draining the oil, and taking off the old oil filter, i noticed it was practically tar in there!!! Darkest color i've seen yet, and i've helped friends and family before, never that bad, so i think the prev. owner was lying like all H*** just to get rid of it. Replaced the plug and wiped everything down, put on new Mopar filter with a lil bit of new oil so i have a good seal on there. And then proceeded to fill up with 6 QTs of the Mobil 1 good stuff. (From what i read 6 Qt is the correct amount for the 4.7....right?)

Keep in mind afterwards i checked underneath and didn't see any leaks from either orifice i had been messing with, so i would assume everything is good to go. replace oil cap on top, and disconnect my battery so it resets the low oil pressure light i've had on since i bought it (i know, i know, should have fixed it the day i bought it, so smack me for being lazy). Yesterday when i got all done and was pulling it back into my parking space, the low oil pressure light was gone!!!!!! FINALLY!!!! I was so pleased with my self on my first oil change by myself that i had gotten rid of a problem with my jeep, (next project is the check engine light's O2 sensor).

This morning when i was heading to a friends house it was about 30° when i started it and the oil pressure light was back on

Yesterday when i finished changing my oil it was at least 50°. (I live in Colorado, you can see the 4 seasons in the same day here) So could the 20°+ change in temp here lower the pressure enough to bring the light back? and i put in another 1/2 quart of oil in it to see if it went away and didnt. So should i put in a lil bit more? or make a trip to my friendly neighborhood mechanic(never stiffs me, always says if i need something done or its all good). To see if he can get it under control?

This is my first Jeep, and car for that matter and i dont seem to be making anything worse, but im not really making any progress either. Also, when i started it this morning, it was hard starting, but kicked over first try, but yesterday when it was warm, i kicked over like a new car ( i work at Enterprise, so i know how new ones drive and turn over.)

If your reading this line, ill have to commend you for sticking around for that long post. Just trying to inform as much as possible, and thanks again for any input!!

Unread Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #2
GregK340
2007 WK 

You said put in 6 qts, added more later, Did you ever check the oil level? Too much oil can be as bad as too little oil. When you change the oil, put in 6 qts. run engine for 30-40 sec. shut it off, let it set for a couple of mins. then check oil level again, fill till you get to correct level on dip stick. (don't be surprised if it take more then 6 qts.) Might want to have your mechanic take a look at it, he can hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge, and see what your actual oil pressure is, the pressure switch that turns on the light isn't always accurate.
GregK340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #3
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK340 View Post
You said put in 6 qts, added more later, Did you ever check the oil level? Too much oil can be as bad as too little oil. When you change the oil, put in 6 qts. run engine for 30-40 sec. shut it off, let it set for a couple of mins. then check oil level again, fill till you get to correct level on dip stick. (don't be surprised if it take more then 6 qts.) Might want to have your mechanic take a look at it, he can hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge, and see what your actual oil pressure is, the pressure switch that turns on the light isn't always accurate.
+1

And,

1. Just because the oil is a little low, it wont cause your oil pressure light to turn on.

2. Having too much oil is worse than being 1-2 qts low. too much oild can cause aeration, leading to bubbles, which get picked up instead of oil....engine components don't like air as lubrication. Check your dipstick and make sure it is within the hash marks, DO NOT OVERFILL!

3. There are 2 scenarios here, either your pressure switch for the oil is faulty, or you really do have a low oil pressure situation....in which case you shouldn't be driving it.

What would I do? If you haven't seen issues while driving it I would do two things:

1. Run a couple hundred miles with the new oil, and change it...if it was that bad when you first changed it, I would just do it again and change the filter again too.

2. Change the oil pressure sending unit, i believe it is above the oil filter and costs like 20 bucks, and is replaced using one socket. Just change it once the old filter is off and you have good access.

How many miles?

2008 KK 3.7L V6
Mods: None, Yet

Past: 1996 XJ 4.0 I6, 1998 ZJ 4.0 I6, 2001 WJ 4.7 V8, 2005 KJ Renegade 3.7 V6
bradbb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 11:11 PM   #4
Reaper3-1A
2005 WK 

Thanks for both of your replies,

Bradbb2005: 137,1XX and when i got it it was 135,948. So i guess i'll just buy the oil and the new filter, and the oil pressure sender in a couple hundred miles, like you both said, see where it takes me...?

GregK340: I checked the oil at the end of the change and it was perfectly at the middle between the hash marks on the dipstick. When i went out and saw the pressure light today, it was a little lower than that, but still well within the safe zone. When i checked the oil when buying it ( had low light then as well) it was above the top hash mark... and still read low, would the light go off if its too high as well or just low? Maybe the sensor just recalibrated to that high and sees mine as low now when at factory it is fine?

Maybe the change of weather made the oil seem thicker to the sensor, so it thinks it is not correct? Seems to also be a valid point, correct me if im wrong...
Unread Yesterday, 11:29 PM   #5
Jared26
2005 WK 

The oil pressure light comes on because of low oil pressure, has nothing to do with the level. Either your oil pressure sender is shot (hopefully) and its an easy cheap fix, or your oil pickup or pump is shot, plugged or oil passages are blocked due to the oil being so dirty and sludging up and you have a way bigger issue. I would not drive it until you at least have a mechanical oil pressure guage hooked up to it to make sure you actually do have pressure, if its actually low you're playing with fire.
Unread Today, 12:03 AM   #6
Reaper3-1A
2005 WK 

Thanks Jared,

I might just face the ultimatum and have all of the above stuff and the pump and sensor replaced. So i hopefully wont have any issues with this later on.

Anybody have any recommendations to how i could get the inside of the engine cleaned up pretty good without taking it apart/ full disassembly? If it has to be taken apart for cleaning up all the little things, i have a good mechanic, ill just have to bite the financial bullet, and i'm okay with that if something might be threatening my beloved GC.
Unread Today, 12:14 AM   #7
Jared26
2005 WK 

Definitely start with the sensor as that is easy and cheap to do, oil pump is very labor intensive and although the pump itself is fairly cheap the labor would be pretty large on that. If the changing out the pressure sensor solves the issue I would dump half a can of seafoam in the oil and idle it for about 30-45 mins then do an oil change. From there I would probably do another oil change after 1000 miles another at 1500 miles and then depending on how its looking I would go back to normal intervals. This should get your engine all cleaned up, I've personally done it on a few vehicles where I know maintenance was neglected and the oil was just black mud and after that it was still looking like new at oil change time.

As I said before, don't drive it until you know for sure that its not an actual low oil pressure issue as running it with low oil pressure you're risking spinning a bearing, wiping out a cam etc and you definitely don't want that for something that could be prevented.

Good luck and I really hope it is just a sender issue, unless the vehicle was badly neglected I'm sure it will just be the sender and it won't be a big deal as I haven't heard about oil pumps or sludging being an issue on the 4.7, my last GC was an 01 4.7 and it was a great motor I had no issues with it and my mom currently has an 06 with a 4.7 that runs excellently as well.
Unread Today, 12:59 AM   #8
rockride
1995 ZJ 

I would also first check the pressure issue. If it is only sending unit, then you are good.
You can then try a solvent in the crankcase. 1qt kerosene or similar driven for 100 miles (Do not overfill, drain a qt first), then change oil again will clean the gunk out, but.... I am always warry about aggressively cleaning a higher mileage engine. Some of that gunk may be allowing it to run as well as it does, e.g. cleaning out the crud will likely loosen her up some more. May cause you to burn more oil, may cause loss of pressure, or it may just run better. Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
rockride is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:14 AM   #9
Craigyfm
2006 WK 

I'm sure the 4.7 runs on 5w20 at 6 litres. Check out wkjeeps online and confirm your procedure. If the oil is incorrect this could be your problem. Good luck.
Craigyfm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 06:56 AM   #10
bigpav7

I wouldn't put any solvent or flushes in the crankcase. You may have a serious sludge issue and a solvent can have all that crap collapse and plug up the pick up completely. Low oil pressure is better than none. I'd suggest a bunch of short oci's. Get a good cleaning oil and change it out frequently, including the filter. Still, the pan would probably have to be removed first to clean up the pick-up.
bigpav7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 09:18 AM   #11
kwikrnu

You can take off a valve cover or drop the oil pan to look for sludge. If the oil pickup is covered in "tar" that is going to be a problem for oil pressure. If you have sludge maybe try auto-rx. Pennzoil "yellow bottle" (PYB) oil has a high detergent content and may help. If you use kerosene I wouldn't let it run more than a few minutes at idle, then change the oil and filter.
Unread Today, 09:31 AM   #12
caulk04
2008 WK 

So you bought a 9 year old vehicle with 140k, check engine light and oil pressure light? Hmm, strikes one and two. Strike three is taking the owners word on the oil change and not checking it yourself.

I think you bought a neglected vehicle that hasn't seen even the most basic of maintenance, oil changes.

I hope it works out for you. It's going to need a few very short oil change intervals with some type of aid to clean out the oil system.
Unread Today, 09:51 AM   #13
Clach
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
So you bought a 9 year old vehicle with 140k, check engine light and oil pressure light? Hmm, strikes one and two. Strike three is taking the owners word on the oil change and not checking it yourself.

I think you bought a neglected vehicle that hasn't seen even the most basic of maintenance, oil changes.

I hope it works out for you. It's going to need a few very short oil change intervals with some type of aid to clean out the oil system.
You might want to check/ change the rest of fluids whilst you are at it. If the owner has neglected the Jeep (which i strongly suspect; I would not sell a car with any light on)! Leave the tranny fluid though as it is too late for that. Hopefully, the Jeep will need minimal work but live and learn as these vehicles are not always cheap to fix.
Clach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.