First off road trip in commander - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > First off road trip in commander

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
lathan888
1993 XJ Cherokee 

First off road trip in commander

Well, the bad news is that I had to sell my lifted 03tj which was our usual trail and camp jeep. The good news is that we took the family commander this last camping trip and I ran the same trail I usually run in the TJ. We have had the commander almost a year but it was always the family hauler.

The trail is the Stoney Run Jeep Trail in the VA mountains, 1.5 hr from Richmond. Good news- the commander kicked butt off road. I was really surprised. I was quite skiddish early on, waiting to hear the rocks hitting the plates or running gashes in the lower quarters or bumpers. Never happened.....the gearing was great, the auto easier to drive and the v8 grunt was perfect. The ride was the best part, no where near as harsh as any other jeep I have taken offroad.

Even better the family liked it so much they got us signed up for Camp Jeep for my birthday present....cool!! Speaking of, we signed up for intermediate trails. I am not new to off roading, was wondering how hard the advanced trails were at camp jeep in charlottesville. The phone reps at jeep could only tell me tow hook and skids were needed and we have those covered. They said there were no lift or tire size requirements to it makes me think they use a tamer rating system than the jamborees or other trails I am used to. Ideas?

Owner of a 1 owner 93 XJ county trim, 4.0, AT, 8.25 rear and 3.5 gears. It has goodies like pw/pl, cc, tilt, cd changer, keyless entry, rear wiper and defrost...overall a nice old jeep, my fifth owning previous wanglers and commander
[/COLOR] also own/restored a 1972 Pontiac Lemans GT originally owned by my grandmom....39k original miles.
my 72 pontiac musclecar
lathan888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
ParoxysM
2007 KJ Liberty 

Have fun with that!!
Unread 07-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

No pics = no wheeling

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
T-Rated

Don't mind drewman. Just throw in a pic like this:

and he'll leave you alone. Or ban you for life. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L • Bells • Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks • Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails • Flowmaster 70 • 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

That is pretty funny T. I took me a few looks to see what you did there!

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
lathan888
1993 XJ Cherokee 

So, any word on the trail ratings for camp jeep vs jeep jamborees?
Owner of a 1 owner 93 XJ county trim, 4.0, AT, 8.25 rear and 3.5 gears. It has goodies like pw/pl, cc, tilt, cd changer, keyless entry, rear wiper and defrost...overall a nice old jeep, my fifth owning previous wanglers and commander
[/COLOR] also own/restored a 1972 Pontiac Lemans GT originally owned by my grandmom....39k original miles.
my 72 pontiac musclecar
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
T-Rated

Is there a discrepancy between the two? Or are you just looking to see which one is more or less challenging?

Mods: Tow Hooks • Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails • Flowmaster 70 • 255/65R17 REVO's
Unread 07-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #8
zjkid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathan888
So, any word on the trail ratings for camp jeep vs jeep jamborees?
I have a 2" BB on my zj and the guys at Chrysler told me it prolly wouldnt be a good idea for me to go on advanced trails. Im sure your Commander would make it through all of them.

Does it have BLD? (brake lock differential)
zjkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
lathan888
1993 XJ Cherokee 

You know I am not sure...It has the off road group, skids, tows and all. I will have to check the sticker....checking and I dont see that. It was killer off road...obvious limited slip, center coupling, etc. If it helps it is a 4.7 v8, 65th anniv, 2 speed xfer case 4x4 (QT II) with off road group II, 3.73 gears, HD cooling . It does have stability control, 4 wheel disks, brake assist, and traction control.

On the trails, yes...just trying to figure out what I should run. I've had several CJs and wranglers so what I am used to is probably intermediate/advanced trails. Ive done a few Jamborees, (pine barrens and more) and also used to run a lot of trails in the mountains here, Stoney Run, Peters Mill Run, etc. Most of my rides were in the 31 to 33 inch tire range but honestly, my TJ with a lift and 31s went anywhere I pointed it and it surprised me compared to my CJ with 33s.

I have no idea what the rating system is for camp jeep. On the phone they just say skids and tow hooks, no lift or tire size requirements. Other trails and jamborees have always listed tires sizes, lockers, winch needed, etc.

So, Im guessing camp jeep is tamer and fine for stock rides? But I dont know. I am signed up for intermediate, but would hate to be bored for 3 hours...ya know?

If anyone has been to a camp jeep I would love to hear your thoughts on trail ratings!!
my 72 pontiac musclecar
Unread 07-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #10
T-Rated

Quadra-Trac II has a Brake Traction Control System, which I guess is similar to what zjkid was asking about. It applies the brake to the non-traction wheel which will in turn send power to the wheel with traction. So that's a step in the right direction.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_4x4.htm#QTII

Unread 07-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
goose1

I've never been to a Camp Jeep or a Jamboree, but from my reading of the two it appears Camp Jeep is a family atmosphere fun place were you "get to know Jeep" as opposed to a Jamboree which seems to be geared more to the "I hate asphalt" crowd. I could be wrong though. I wish I could go to the Camp Jeep in VA, it sounds like fun.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.