Well did a service on a 3.0 CRD today so took some pictures for you guys and so decided to do a write up.
1. Removed top cover and oil cap.
2. Undone the oil filter but didn’t remove so the oil filter drains. (saves mess later)
3. Raised vehicle and removed skid plate
4. Removed drain plug and drained the oil (drain pan needs to hold at least 9.5 litres)
5. After the oil drained replaced drain plug with new washer and tightened to 30 NM.
6. Lowered vehicle and put 4.5 litres in the oil filter housing and the rest in the oil filler. This is to prevent crankshaft damage.
NOTE : it is very important not to spill any oil around the oil filler as the alternator is directly below and oil can damage it.
7. Replace oil filter cartridge and installed the new seals that came with the filter. See T.S.B http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0900507.pdf
Slightly oiled the new seals and reinstalled the filter into the oil filter housing and tightened to 25 NM.
8. It is now critical to wait 15 minutes before starting to allow the oil to drain down. Service manual also say wait 15 minutes after engine has run to allow the oil to return to the pan before checking the oil level.
Why I wait for this I change the fuel filter and have attached some pictures of bleeding the filter and a picture of the drain tube so you can see why the drain tube is at the top of the filter because the tube goes to the bottom of the filter.
Fuel filter change
1.Remove top cover
2.Remove fuel pipes
3. Unplug water in fuel sensor
4. Remove 3 x E10 bolts
5. Remover fuel filter
6. Remove 2 x T20 screws and remove water level sensor
7. Loosen 5mm allen bolt and remove the fuel filter from cradle
Refit in reverse order. To bleed air open up bleed screw, attach suitable pipe from the bleed screw to a container and turn on the ignition till clean fuel comes out. Close screw and remove pipe.
OIL SAE VISCOSITY GRADE
An SAE Synthetic engine oil that conforms to ACEA A3/B4/C3 that is approved to MB 229.31 low ash oil
OIL CAPACITIE 9.5L (10.0 Quarts)
Drain plug torque 30 nm 22 ft-lbs
Oil filter 25 nm 18 lbs-ft with oil filter socket 9551
Tools for fuel filter change E10 socket, T20 torque socket, 5 mm allen key socket.
Perhaps some of you can add where to get oil and oil filters from.